Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Had an excellent game and great to see him delivering like we know he can.

For mine was just pipped for best on ground, hope he can maintain this standard for longer in future.

His handballing and fend offs in the contest, wowser.

One of those fend offs was hilarious. He has the best technique in the AFL bar none. Martin smacks you with a big palm a la Buddy but that fend off by Ben yesterday looked... effortless.

Loved his game. He really has an intensity in the contest now. And love how he has become such a reliable marking target. Those hands.

One of those fend offs was hilarious. He has the best technique in the AFL bar none. Martin smacks you with a big palm a la Buddy but that fend off by Ben yesterday looked... effortless.
Besides Higgins and maybe Petrie, I've seen a bloke more confident in his physical strength and attributes ATM.

Statistically speaking he should be close to the All Australian squad; 6th in CP's per game, and 3rd in clearances averaging 23 disposals per game. he's one of the best inside mids in the AFL but he doesn't seem to get that recognition. I think his lack of uncontested footy really hurts him in this respect. If he could get an extra 4-5 touches on the outside per game then I think he would be in the truly elite category.

Statistically speaking he should be close to the All Australian squad; 6th in CP's per game, and 3rd in clearances averaging 23 disposals per game. he's one of the best inside mids in the AFL but he doesn't seem to get that recognition. I think his lack of uncontested footy really hurts him in this respect. If he could get an extra 4-5 touches on the outside per game then I think he would be in the truly elite category.

I doubt that will ever happen unless they are cheapies (cough Bartel)... goalkicking and being a relief marking target when teams sit 3 guys on Goldstein will be both his and Ziebell's extra string.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know we say this a hell of a lot on BF as North supporters, but gees Cunners is underrated by not just large sections of the media, but BF posters in general. Averaging 23 disposals and in the top 5 for clearances and his one-percenters and his fend off's are awesome to witness.

I know we say this a hell of a lot on BF as North supporters, but gees Cunners is underrated by not just large sections of the media, but BF posters in general. Averaging 23 disposals and in the top 5 for clearances and his one-percenters and his fend off's are awesome to witness.
5th in total Cont Poss
3rd in clearances
2nd in Centre clearances
6th in stoppages.

Beautiful hands and can kick a goal.

I don't think it's just non-north supporters that underrate Cunners. I'll be honest, I watch him every week and still underrate him! I don't know how it's possible, maybe I've become so accustomed to seeing Cunners do his thing that I've taken it for granted.

Crazy to think he's only just turned 24. So much upside! Just needs to start getting a few more possessions on the outside and he'll be close to a complete footballer.

I don't think it's just non-north supporters that underrate Cunners. I'll be honest, I watch him every week and still underrate him! I don't know how it's possible, maybe I've become so accustomed to seeing Cunners do his thing that I've taken it for granted.

Crazy to think he's only just turned 24. So much upside! Just needs to start getting a few more possessions on the outside and he'll be close to a complete footballer.
He averages 76% tog, needs to increase that by 5-6% to get those extra few disposals.

Yeah great call, but maybe we get a better quality Cunners because he is that little bit fresher.
True, his class is starting to shine and even commentators call him an absolute bull in the contest. I want dumont to base his inside game on Cunners, they both appear to have inside class.

True, his class is starting to shine and even commentators call him an absolute bull in the contest. I want dumont to base his inside game on Cunners, they both appear to have inside class.
Sending Jack to be a semi permanent forward and putting Dumont into his centre square spot is hopefully on the cards for next year. Cunners, Swallow and Froggy with Treloar swinging in at times would be just a thing of beauty.

If he played for Collingwood he'd not only have a regular spot on The Footy Show, he'd have his own friggin show and be worshipped by the media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back