Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

He beats the absolute piss out of the two blokes that went 1&2.
Fyfe, Talia are the only two in the top 20 better than him, while Martin's just about on par with him. Martin the more damaging player but Cunners the more consistent and reliable.

I remember meeting Ben maybe half way through his second year. It's hard to recognise him in that body. He has just kept developing every year.
As Ats said today at over 90kgs he can really apply a tackle.

59047828.jpg
Was it said in the video that he's now over 90kegs? Is that a good or bad thing? Sure he can now kill the Varcoes of the world but won't this hinder his running ability/capacities?

EDIT: Should have read further, thought that was it.

Was is said in the video that he's now over 90kegs? Is that a good or bad thing? Sure he can now kill the Varcoes of the world but won't this hinder his running ability/capacities?
What do you mean "now kill the varcoes of the world"??? Pretty sure he had that covered already!

I think Martin's got Cunnington covered. Martin's just as good in contested situations but is absolutely deadly forward of centre.

I think Martin's got Cunnington covered. Martin's just as good in contested situations but is absolutely deadly forward of centre.
image.jpg

Yeah would much rather this guy round the club.

Come back & talk about how 'Martin has Cunnington covered' in five years time when Ben has two Brownlows & a Norm Smith medal in the bottom draw of his bed side table.

I begrudgingly agree with this. Hopefully Cunnington overtakes him but Martin has been the better player so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 108996

Yeah would much rather this guy round the club.

Come back & talk about how 'Martin has Cunnington covered' in five years time when Ben has two Brownlows & a Norm Smith medal in the bottom draw of his bed side table.
Yet another Richmond face to punch.

I begrudgingly agree with this. Hopefully Cunnington overtakes him but Martin has been the better player so far.
I disagree, Cunnington is a better user of the ball, a better tackler, a better mark, a better ball winner.... Martin is a better goal kicker, but not for long! Cunners is far more rounded, and with more exposure to the wider football world, cos winning premierships does that it won't be close by the end of the year! Martin is overrated because he plays for the tiges and they get kissed on the dick with scheduling.

If you look at the stats from last year, Dusty had more disposals and goals however Cunners had a lot more tackles, a lot more clearances and more 1%ers. I'd argue Cunners had a much more consistent year too.

Regardless, I know who I'd rather have in my team (the one with a b&f around his neck, not some terrible tatts).

Cunners wasn't as consistent as he could have been last year. Didn't have any stinkers but had more anonymous sub-20 disposal games than you would have hoped.

If you look at the stats from last year, Dusty had more disposals and goals however Cunners had a lot more tackles, a lot more clearances and more 1%ers. I'd argue Cunners had a much more consistent year too.

Regardless, I know who I'd rather have in my team (the one with a b&f around his neck, not some terrible tatts).
Martin played a lot off half forward last year, which diminished his ability to win clearances and contested ball, but increased his goal scoring opportunites. I reckon if he can harness his abilities in full he could be a dominant midfielder. He has strength, pace and skill. He may not have the inside nous that Cunners has, nor the ability by hand, but he has him covered in ability in other areas.

Martin played a lot off half forward last year, which diminished his ability to win clearances and contested ball, but increased his goal scoring opportunites. I reckon if he can harness his abilities in full he could be a dominant midfielder. He has strength, pace and skill. He may not have the inside nous that Cunners has, nor the ability by hand, but he has him covered in ability in other areas.
Shhhh, you weren't supposed to pick that up! :rolleyes: I was going to add something along those lines, but totally forgot. Anyway, still doesn't change my opinion. Both players have the scope to improve and become elite, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Cunners wasn't as consistent as he could have been last year. Didn't have any stinkers but had more anonymous sub-20 disposal games than you would have hoped.

Spitter's return threw his game off a tad for a little while but his start and finish were blistering.

Spitter's return threw his game off a tad for a little while but his start and finish were blistering.
I guess it's all part of the learning curve but the best mids in the game produce almost every week without fail regardless of who is or isn't in the side.

I guess it's all part of the learning curve but the best mids in the game produce almost every week without fail regardless of who is or isn't in the side.

That down period included he still went on to win the BnF so I guess he's learning quickly.

I am in the crowd who believed that there was too many inside mids. Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington, Greenwood and Bastinac was just too many balance wise.

I am in the crowd who believed that there was too many inside mids. Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington, Greenwood and Bastinac was just too many balance wise.

On that argument, losing Greenwood gives us a better balance of inside and outside? I tend to agree, especially given Wells, Jacobs and perhaps LMac or Atley can play inside to cover where necessary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back