Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne's Ben Cunnington fishing for an even bigger catch
by Rohan Connolly

1425629709416.jpg

By his own admission, when it comes to football, Ben Cunnington isn't a great talker, as he discovered again when he won North Melbourne's best and fairest last year.

Standing on stage with the Syd Barker Medal draped around his neck after sneaking home by one vote from Todd Goldstein and Levi Greenwood, the gritty midfielder was – literally – lost for words. "I don't know what I'm saying," he smiled at the delighted crowd after stammering a few "thank yous".

Link to article here.

North Melbourne's Ben Cunnington fishing for an even bigger catch
by Rohan Connolly

1425629709416.jpg

By his own admission, when it comes to football, Ben Cunnington isn't a great talker, as he discovered again when he won North Melbourne's best and fairest last year.

Standing on stage with the Syd Barker Medal draped around his neck after sneaking home by one vote from Todd Goldstein and Levi Greenwood, the gritty midfielder was – literally – lost for words. "I don't know what I'm saying," he smiled at the delighted crowd after stammering a few "thank yous".

Link to article here.

scottywiper has just locked himself in his bedroom for a few minutes with this article and a box of tissues.

Sometimes as a footy nut you have the fear in the back of your mind that your out and out guns will probably move on eventually and don the colors of an enemy. With free agency, big dollars and contracts not worth the paper they're written on, it's a very real possibility.

Not with this bloke.

Everything about him screams one club player and old fashioned loyalty.

*in love him and so glad he's ours.

It's really good to know the guy has some passion and a life outside of football, everyone needs an outlet.

Sometimes as a footy nut you have the fear in the back of your mind that your out and out guns will probably move on eventually and don the colors of an enemy. With free agency, big dollars and contracts not worth the paper they're written on, it's a very real possibility.

Not with this bloke.

****in love him and so glad he's ours.
Loves his family, and seems to love his club. A good man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not with this bloke.

****in love him and so glad he's ours.
I can't think of too many that are part of this group that would leave it.

Saying that, money talks & Levi leaving was a huge shock to me. I would have had him in the top four or five guys that I thought wouldn't leave.

Agree on the talk about Cunners as a North man.

I would see all these guys as hands-down one-club North players (unless the club lets them go): Boomer, Dish, Wellsy, Spud, Narni, Spitta, Adams, Scooter, LT, JZ, JMac, Cunners, LMac, and think it is fair to toss in the names Sugar, Maj, and big bad Ben Brown. Like marklovesbeer suggests, wouldn't expect too many of this group to leave, but have had some nervous moments with Lachie's negotiations, Goldy's value to other clubs, and some question marks over Basti, Fishy, and it is hard to gauge with most of the young'uns as to where the future will take them.

Agree on the talk about Cunners as a North man.

I would see all these guys as hands-down one-club North players (unless the club lets them go): Boomer, Dish, Wellsy, Spud, Narni, Spitta, Adams, Scooter, LT, JZ, JMac, Cunners, LMac, and think it is fair to toss in the names Sugar, Maj, and big bad Ben Brown. Like marklovesbeer suggests, wouldn't expect too many of this group to leave, but have had some nervous moments with Lachie's negotiations, Goldy's value to other clubs, and some question marks over Basti, Fishy, and it is hard to gauge with most of the young'uns as to where the future will take them.
Ats?

Was going to include Ats and sense he is a good clubman, but just know so little about him and his character, other than he is a bloody exciting footy player, so included him in the young brigade who are too early in their careers to make a call. In saying that, I think Brown, Turner, and LMac are young guns who have unique traits that scream out to me as being one-club players.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back