Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you want to question my knowledge?
Not questioning it, just cracks me up how you come across and drop little pearls of wisdom about his family. We all know afl players mate, but don't feels the need to name drop.

Not questioning it, just cracks me up how you come across and drop little pearls of wisdom about his family. We all know afl players mate, but don't feels the need to name drop.
All cool,thought i would enlighten some north supporters a few bits maybe unkown and things some supporters may enjoy,sorry to trouble YOUR board.

That is interesting. What club was interested? And would that have led to a father/son thing, do you think ?Did his dad have another career /job that he wanted to do/keep at the time?
Dad loved farming and just had no desire to go on with footy.
Not sure how many clubs were interested ,At least fitzroy,north

Some of the stuff he did tonight was ridiculous.

That over the top hand ball to a running Harvey that didn't even have to look where the ball was going? Ball bounces a metre in front of Harvey after sailing over his head and bounces up perfectly for him, not the first time either he does it at least once a week but that one was insane.

Ball can be bouncing around in traffic pinging off peoples legs and Ben can just stick one mitt out and the ball seems to magnetically snap into it.

Not to mention the no look handballs and handballs through spaces a ball should not physically be able to fit.

He's an absolute freak and I'm glad he's ours.

He does, comfortably. Did some downright ridiculous stuff tonight.

Unfortunately those hands are only getting the ball 15-18 times these days. Needs to get in the play much more.

I am so in love with him. The way he holds the ball in one outstretched hand, 'go on, just try to get it'. The don't argues. The tough tackling. The clever handballs that no-one else could even conceive of doing. I'm imeasuarbly proud that Ben Cunnington wears blue and white stripes.

I am so in love with him. The way he holds the ball in one outstretched hand, 'go on, just try to get it'. The don't argues. The tough tackling. The clever handballs that no-one else could even conceive of doing. I'm imeasuarbly proud that Ben Cunnington wears blue and white stripes.

His first 20 minutes was disgusting, he butchered it about 5 times which created turnover scoring opposition for GWS.
However, he bounced back and played his best footy for a number of weeks.

It is no coincidence that he upped his game with another inside mid missing.

We really have an imbalance there. Ziebell forward makes too much sense though.
How about his attack on the ball in the fourth, outstanding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is no coincidence that he upped his game with another inside mid missing.

We really have an imbalance there. Ziebell forward makes too much sense though.
Yes, but was it a structural thing, or a mindset thing? As when Ziebell and Swallow spent time injured/suspended, Ben lifted his game. I wonder if he isn't one of those that needs to recognise what mental consistency looks like.

I think it's happened too many times to be mental.

But then again, he is just an epitome of the entire club.
I reckon it's a LOT mental. I reckon Ben doesn't recognise his own leadership qualities and 'sits back' when he's not required to be 'the one', deferring to the likes of Jack, Spitta and maybe even Levi. He needs a finger pointed in his sternum, one of Zondor's :stern looks and told "Ben, you need to wake up to the fact that you can be one of this club's best players if you show what you're capable of week-in, week-out."

His first 20 minutes was disgusting, he butchered it about 5 times which created turnover scoring opposition for GWS.
However, he bounced back and played his best footy for a number of weeks.
Was just about to type same Harris 10 .......that first half of Q one I was laughing at just how bad he looked and slow slow slow. Really got going in next 3Q's, love when he pushes forward, great hands and is a deadeye kick at goal..

I reckon it's a LOT mental. I reckon Ben doesn't recognise his own leadership qualities and 'sits back' when he's not required to be 'the one', deferring to the likes of Jack, Spitta and maybe even Levi. He needs a finger pointed in his sternum, one of Zondor's :stern looks and told "Ben, you need to wake up to the fact that you can be one of this club's best players if you show what you're capable of week-in, week-out."

The clubs best player*

Did someone check to see if Devon Smith is okay? I think Cunnington killed him. Was one of the most vicious shoves I've ever seen.

2 murders this season. First = Varcoe. A second today

R102014CunningtonFend.gif

I'm convinced he wrestled Bulls as a kid.

Last edited:
In our midfield stoppage structure, we assign roles to each of the 3 midfielders. They are more or less defined in this way:

Clearance - usually Swallow - his job, as the name implies, is to hunt the ball and win the clearance.
Defence - often Greenwood or Bastinac or Jacobs - the job here is to stop the opposition from winning an easy clearance.
Blocker - this is most often Cunnington's role and it is to block for the clearance player so that he can win the clearance.

Ben is very good at blocking and his efforts usually lead to Andrew Swallow winning a lot of clearances. When we have injuries, Ben's role changes and that's when people notice his results more as he focusses on hunting the ball. So to accuse Ben of being mentally weak is not only offensive, but also fundamentally misunderstands the role he is playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back