Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Most exciting midfield prospect we've had since Jack Trengove IMO. Viney came on very quickly too but had a few frustrating deficiencies which persisted throughout his first two season. Brayshaw has improved remarkably quickly after coming on a bit more gradually but now seems to had developed some of the outside that was missing in the early part of the season.

When he missed a fairly easy shot running into goal on Monday, I loved how the very next thing he did was take a mark running back with the flight and then delivered to Fitz who kicked truly. You can tell (Like Hogan) that he just WANTS it.

I loved that too, i watched him track the ball from the kick in. He took half step for a millionth of a second thought about it, then just put his head down ran back and took the mark. You are spot on, like Hogan he just wants the footy.

I honestly think when trenners comes back he should play in the back line, so long as he doesnt get left as the last man back on a counter attack
I like Trenners on the half forward line, can take a mark as a medium target and will provide good forward pressure.

I honestly think when trenners comes back he should play in the back line, so long as he doesnt get left as the last man back on a counter attack
If he gets his speed back I guess he can play anywhere, if not suburban footy. I'd start him at half back and see if he could break the shackles a bit.

New favourite player. Dom will always be my man, but Brayshaw is the kind of midfielder - nay, player - you go to the footy to watch. Not flashy types like Howe or Rioli, but fierce, competitive hardnuts like Brayshaw who ooze flair and class and talent as well and break entire games open. He's never out of the game. He's always hunting the ball. He makes his teammates better.

New favourite player. Dom will always be my man, but Brayshaw is the kind of midfielder - nay, player - you go to the footy to watch. Not flashy types like Howe or Rioli, but fierce, competitive hardnuts like Brayshaw who ooze flair and class and talent as well and break entire games open. He's never out of the game. He's always hunting the ball. He makes his teammates better.

Whoever it was that said Braywhaw is the spiritual successor to Nate Jones is 100% right.

It's also nice to have a spiritual successor to someone who isn't even done yet.

I think other clubs call them 'teammates'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love that he's setting the bar so high for the other kids too. ANB and Stretch will be seeing that and wanting to follow in his footsteps. And best of all, it's going to make Petracca want to come out next year and absolutely light up the comp. I don't think he'd enjoy sitting in Gus' shadow!

Whoever it was that said Braywhaw is the spiritual successor to Nate Jones is 100% right.

It's also nice to have a spiritual successor to someone who isn't even done yet.

Brayshaw is not only that, but he also has so much more natural ability than Jones. Which isn't a knock on Jones. But this kid is something special. I've never been this excited by a first year player. He just demands attention.

I love that he's setting the bar so high for the other kids too. ANB and Stretch will be seeing that and wanting to follow in his footsteps. And best of all, it's going to make Petracca want to come out next year and absolutely light up the comp. I don't think he'd enjoy sitting in Gus' shadow!
I reckon he'd be furious (in the best way). And I hope Hogan was fuming he missed out today on a resilient underdog effort which showed how much this group can improve. If he needed a better sign to stay with the club, that was it.

Girlfriend's born on June 26th and hates football, so I bought her a #26 Petracca jersey. Might grab myself a new number 10. I refuse to allow myself to imagine that Petracca will be anywhere near as good as Brayshaw. That'd be too good to be true.

Girlfriend's born on June 26th and hates football, so I bought her a #26 Petracca jersey. Might grab myself a new number 10. I refuse to allow myself to imagine that Petracca will be anywhere near as good as Brayshaw. That'd be too good to be true.

With Petracca out it's almost like we have another #2 draft pick this year. I hope he comes on well; even if he doesn't Gus is an absolute gem.

With Petracca out it's almost like we have another #2 draft pick this year. I hope he comes on well; even if he doesn't Gus is an absolute gem.
Yeah, after Hogan was effectively the same this year. Reckon Petracca debuts at high level aerobic fitness now, which was his only knock. And Trengove is set to come back too, who I'm getting more and more confident about. He doesn't even need to be a star if he can play a role off half back or half forward with his overhead marking and clean disposal. Plus his 2014 preseason form was solid.

1417559404294.jpg

Wait until Brayshaw starts combining with the man in the middle.

Successor? Nath will still be pretty good in 2-3 years.

1417559404294.jpg

Wait until Brayshaw starts combining with the man in the middle.
The best part is the grin on their faces knowing that they get to play with a good mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back