Autopsy 10 greatest unfilled talents at CFC

Remove this Banner Ad

As a couple have said Mark Orval belongs on this list. I watched him play a couple of times and he looked like he was going to be a star. Kicked 4 against Essendon as a 19 year old, which if it happened today our board would go into meltdown.

Chris Tarrant. Instead of trading him he shoud've been moved to full back. Got him back too late.

I disagree - I think Tarrant needed to change clubs in order to get his attitude right for being a defender, and it still took a couple of years at Freo before the Dockers tried that... as a 26 yo underperforming forward here, he was nowhere near ready to make that change. It's a shame that he couldn't do it here - but I don't think it was ever going to happen without a change.

"Got him back too late" also doesn't really fit that well given that he had only spent his last 2 seasons at Freo as a defender... so at the most me missed him as a defender for one year - I don't think adding him would've made our result any better in 2010.... and then he wasn't far off being a premiership full back in 2011 - and I'm still not sure why Malthouse didn't move him onto Hawkins, after Pods had gone off injured.

Plus we got a very good 3 seasons out of Medhurst in return... I think that was a win/win trade for both clubs.

He may've still been running around for the Pies today. Only recently entered his 30s! Would've been over 200 games by now too. I wonder where it went wrong because his start was so promising and not all players are courageous or even need to be. He had his skill-set which was good.
He took the death of his Father very hard, he just lost the passion to play after that (or so I was told, I have no first hand knowledge)

He took the death of his Father very hard, he just lost the passion to play after that (or so I was told, I have no first hand knowledge)

That's really sad if true. I always liked Lonie. I think he offered us plenty and was unfairly maligned much of the time.

Mary Clarke, thought he would have replaced Davis in the backline easily when he came back:(

Walker and Rusling easily own this thread.

I knew Lee Walker personally (he lived with Burnsy) and he was a god damn legend of a bloke. Had a poster of Daicos in his kitchen with the nickname "Little Tangs" on it, given Lee was obviously Tangles senior lol.

Lee Walker was a genuinely good footballer with the knees of an 80 year grandmother.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mary Clarke, thought he would have replaced Davis in the backline easily when he came back:(

That is not a Bad One.

His 1st Season was some Promising but was never the same again:(

Phil Carmen would have to be number 1.
I can't say I have ever seen a more talented footballer, if only his head was right, he could have been in the top 10 players in AFL history.
People talk about players who won games off their own boot after playing a reasonable game, Carman actually did what that saying means, and on more than one occasion too.

An absolute freak of player

Ron Todd.

Played his last game at Collingwood at 22.

As a 21 year old he kicked 120 goals in 20 games.

As a 22 year old he kicked 121 goals in 19 games.

In the 6 finals in those years he kicked 40 goals. To this day, a record. In the 2 PF's those years he kicked 11 goals each game.

Possibly the best key forward to ever play the sport. Players from nearly all the state leagues are in the Hall of Fame and he played VFA when it was as good as VFL. Should be in there.

Possibly the best key forward to ever play the sport. Players from nearly all the state leagues are in the Hall of Fame and he played VFA when it was as good as VFL. Should be in there.
Staggering that he's not in the HoF. WA folks (Barry Cable, at least) are agitating for another key forward in Austin Robertson jnr. to get in. He had a fantastic career and would be a worthy inclusion, but for Todd not to be there is clearly wrong.

This is a very enjoyable thread, to me it's almost as if there should have been one thread discussing players from the draft era (1986~), and another where players like Carman, Fitzgerald, Fothergill, Greening, and Todd could be discussed. These are some of the best Collingwood and the game has ever seen, I have cringed a bit at some of the names of recent players that have been raised!

Must have got Laurie Nash on an off day if he rated Toddy as better than himself
Bit late but I'd say the same about Pratt.

Remember him being interviewed years ago & it was just a love fest between Pratt & himself.

People have diff ideas about Keays. Big boy syndrome, didn't apply himself so have said he doesn't count.
My memory was the above with partying & generally just thinking it was all gunna just happen for him thrown in.

So I'd say it counts but it really doesn't matter. Although if you can't include Keays then you can't include heath Sheppard either.
His problem was this........

tumblr_n9xpqefBlN1sfzhkto1_500.gif

Cameron Wood (only wanted the ladies), Shannon Cox (only wanted KFC), Kyle Martin (only wanted to play local footy with his mates) are the players who come to mind.

Guys like Millane, Greening, S.Rocca, P.Williams, P.Moore etc don't belong in the conversation nor does anyone else who had strong careers.

I cant see how you can nominate someone who failed to be a better player because of their own choices.....and this includes Tarrant. I'd probably include Millane in that, and I realise that wont impress a few people. Phil Carmen could have been Wayne Carey in black and white....but he didnt feel it was important at the time.

Leigh Walker had a lot of bad luck, but he played his best footy in the juniors. Lots of conjecture about how good he would have been.

Greening was a ball player who got hit because he was a ball player...and he was a player who may have won brownlows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back