Autopsy 10 greatest unfilled talents at CFC

Remove this Banner Ad

He took the death of his Father very hard, he just lost the passion to play after that (or so I was told, I have no first hand knowledge)
Not to mention those a-holes at Brisbane who put him down as most courageous during aflpa voting. Unfortunately he's linked to another mentioned on the list in Caracella in that he shanked a kick which missed Caracella who then had to dive for the ball and was slid into by tim notting who ended his career.
I guess they figured two Rocca's was one too many...
Both Shaw and Malthouse were of the opinion they couldn't play in the same team as they felt both were genuine full forwards.

A couple of others who still had decent careers and were serviceable but probably failed to live up to expectations were Jason McCartney and Mark Richardson.

McCartney was the boom recruit taken at number 4 and was an untouchable but was then traded out a year later. Had a decent season in 1992 at chb late in the year and a patch in 1994 when he played up forward but didn't live up to expectations.

Mark Richardson from memory may have kicked goals with his first 3 kicks and had bags of 7, 6 and 5 in his debut year but then made more of an impact in the backline. Ended up playing about 12 seasons but no finals.

A couple of others who still had decent careers and were serviceable but probably failed to live up to expectations were Jason McCartney and Mark Richardson.

McCartney was the boom recruit taken at number 4 and was an untouchable but was then traded out a year later. Had a decent season in 1992 at chb late in the year and a patch in 1994 when he played up forward but didn't live up to expectations.

Mark Richardson from memory may have kicked goals with his first 3 kicks and had bags of 7, 6 and 5 in his debut year but then made more of an impact in the backline. Ended up playing about 12 seasons but no finals.

Mark Richardson cost us getting Lockett. From what I understand, his father was one of the board members who voted NO to the deal.
If we signed Lockett, Mark would not have gotten a game. Don't know how true this is?

As for unfulfilled talent, no one beats Phil Carmen.
John Greening can be seen as such, but it was not his fault but a thugs.

Hands down, I don't think those who didn't see him play realise just how good he was and could have been.

Did you see the state game where Phil kicked 10 on Doull and Southby? He was jumping all over them taking marks and kicking fabulous goals. The next year he won the Copeland in his first year at Vicci Park.

Well - My dad said he was the best player he have ever seen
Your Dad may be around my generation, he was the best player I have ever seen. The closest is Paul Salmon in that year he kicked bags prior to injury. Both appeared unstoppable. The guy has been crucified for his ability to get reported but at the end of the day that makes him perfect as an unfilled talent, not someone to blame for our losses. In the game the way it is today, with far less off the ball shite, he would have shined.

Mark Richardson cost us getting Lockett. From what I understand, his father was one of the board members who voted NO to the deal.
If we signed Lockett, Mark would not have gotten a game. Don't know how true this is?

As for unfulfilled talent, no one beats Phil Carmen.
John Greening can be seen as such, but it was not his fault but a thugs.
He was one of the reasons why we didn't go for Plugger - supposedly stunting his and Sav Roccas development. Actually Matthews and McAlister voted to get Plugger but the other 3 (Wayne being one of them) voted no. In his book, Matthews said that at that time the trust in him from the board was low and he probably realised that his remaining time at the club was limited.

As it turned out, Lockett played till 1999 kicking centuries 3 or 4 times for Sydney, while Rocca left the year after and Richardson ended up in the backline.

As for Carman don't doubt this though I was too young to remember him. His suspensions haunt all Collingwood supporters.

Gary Shaw ?

Shaw's transfer fee alone was more than $300,000 - the price of a half-dozen houses in some suburbs back then. 33 years ago

Last edited:
Phil Carman by a mile.. funny he ended up being a really good coach and also umpire!!!!!!!!!!! One from the past who we have forgotten is Butch Edwards.. was close to the best CHF in the league at Richmond.. we got him and his knees just didn't hold up. and one playing now..Jessie White could end up that way given he has all the attributes to be a top class player but not going that way at the moment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you see the state game where Phil kicked 10 on Doull and Southby? He was jumping all over them taking marks and kicking fabulous goals. The next year he won the Copeland in his first year at Vicci Park.
Two games I remember where he single handed destroyed the opposition and won the games were:
Essendon, he played at CHF and slaughtered them
St Kilda, he kicked (I think) 9 goals. No one could stop him
But there were so many games where I would just sit there with my mouth open

Freak of a man

Two games I remember where he single handed destroyed the opposition and won the games were:
Essendon, he played at CHF and slaughtered them
St Kilda, he kicked (I think) 9 goals. No one could stop him
But there were so many games where I would just sit there with my mouth open

Freak of a man
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/P/Phil_Carman.html

He kicked 11.4 against the Saints in his first year (1975), his largest ever goal haul. Some of his free kicks for/against tallies make incredible reading, and no doubt tell a bit of a tale. That day it was 2-7, there was 5-11, 1-8, 2-8, 1-9 etc.

Ben Reid. Could've been anything a 4 time all australian if it wasn't for injuries. Not even joking. The guy is a star but his body is shot.

Mal Michael for me, we were ripped.Rusling, Lee Walker(never felt more sorry for a footballer) and what about Gilbert Mcadam...got great service from him(thanks for the memories...none)

Nathan Buckley The Coach with a bit of luck and patients he may become a double great as Player and coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back