Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

Noticed him have a chain of a short kick, handball, short kick which gained his team no territory
Yep, if he didn't do all that unnecessary s**t he'd be averaging closer to 20 disposals than 25.

1. Aaron Sandilands - 60 hitouts don't mean anything if they aren't leading to clearances (this is more directed at the importance of a ruckman rather than sandi himself as he is clearly number 1 ruck in comp)
  2. Nat Fyfe -gun but needs to improve efficiency to be considered as highly as he is.
  3. Dangerfield - gun but gets talked about at ablett type levels. Is elite but is not consistent enough for how highly he is regarded (I think he will definitely get there)
  4. Brodie Grundy - Will be a star but output vs reputation doesn't marry up
  5. Will Minson - One epic season and supposedly he changed years of spudness?
  6. Harley Bennell - hybrid grundy/danger reasons but to a lesser extent
  7. Nic Naitanui - constant fapfest over his athletic abilities, can win his own ball and is a freak but doesn't deserve top 20 player status like some media outlets have given him at start of the year
  8. Jake Carlisle. Young KPP who will be great but was seriously overrated at the start of the year due to a purple patch last year. Will be good, but is still developing g
  9. Jack Ziebell - cunnington has gone past him and when swallow is back will be norths 4th best mid by nds, swallow & cuns
  10. Gia & the "super sub" garbage. Holding back a development spot for a young kid like honey church to be used in That role

Ziebell and cotchin

I like the way ziebell goes about it, but his output is no where near high enough. Talk of him replacing swallow as captain in confusing

Cotchin needs to stop trying to be Gary Ablett and start putting the team first. I reckon that he would rather win a brownlow than win a premiership. Arguable the worst captain choice in the league

Ziebell and cotchin

I like the way ziebell goes about it, but his output is no where near high enough. Talk of him replacing swallow as captain in confusing

Cotchin needs to stop trying to be Gary Ablett and start putting the team first. I reckon that he would rather win a brownlow than win a premiership. Arguable the worst captain choice in the league
I rewatched the Brisbane game, I think 10 of Cotchin's 32 touches wer from pointless 1-2's to the detriment of the Tigers, allowing Brisbane to get numbers back where if he didn't his forwards had a chance to get 1-on-1's

cotchin

I rewatched the Brisbane game, I think 10 of Cotchin's 32 touches wer from pointless 1-2's to the detriment of the Tigers, allowing Brisbane to get numbers back where if he didn't his forwards had a chance to get 1-on-1's

Wow, just wow.

Wow, Richmond fan disagrees that cotchin is overrated. Wow, just wow.

Not disagreeing that he's overrated, just amused at the quoted comments.

Based on one game of football (where he is going to get 3 Brownlow votes mind you) and because he had a couple of 1-2s.

Insightful stuff. Gary Ablett is overrated too apparently.

Not disagreeing that he's overrated, just amused at the quoted comments.

Based on one game of football (where he is going to get 3 Brownlow votes mind you) and because he had a couple of 1-2s.

Insightful stuff. Gary Ablett is overrated too apparently.

I reckon the fact that judd still gets mentioned next to ablett after 7 years of clearly being the number 1 footballer makes judd a bit over rated. I'm not arguing judd isn't a legend of the game and deserves his plaudits but ablett has him covered now

I reckon the fact that judd still gets mentioned next to ablett after 7 years of clearly being the number 1 footballer makes judd a bit over rated. I'm not arguing judd isn't a legend of the game and deserves his plaudits but ablett has him covered now

Ablett is in his own field and will be a HOF Legend.

Judd was/is an amazing footballer and one of the greats of our game no doubt. Hard to call him overrated but agree he shouldn't be put up next to Ablett anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett is in his own field and will be a HOF Legend.

Judd was/is an amazing footballer and one of the greats of our game no doubt. Hard to call him overrated but agree he shouldn't be put up next to Ablett anymore.

Yeah this thread is tough though, calling someone overrated doesn't mean they are crap. People are too quick to throw names out like nick maxwell etc when no one rates them anymore

Rioli

Gibson

Howe

Wells

Petrie

Newman (now)

Griffen

Cooneys (now)

Darling

Gibbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyril Rioli
Rioli
Gibson
What a load of s**t. Rioli and Gibson are two of the best players in the AFL's best team, yet they barely rate a mention when people do their Top 50 lists. If anything, they are underrated.

Cyril Rioli is 24yo, has 2 premiership medals and was named All Australian in 2012

Despite missing a minimum of 3 games every year due to injury, Rioli has finished in the top six of Hawthorn's best and fairest on 4 occasions (which is probably the equivalent to winning Richmond's B&F)

Since his debut in Rd 1 2008, Cyril is equal 2nd with Gary Ablett for the most number of goal assists.

Rioli is considered by many players to be the best tackler in the AFL.

AFL Coaches Award leaderboard
40 Ablett
34 Selwood
30 Riewoldt
27 Johnson
25 Pendlebury
24 Fyfe
23 Cotchin, Jones
22 Rioli, Mitchell, Priddis

Nick Riewoldt is the only other forward in the top 10. Rioli leads all small forwards, despite playing 5 of the 6 games. In 3 games out of 5, he has been voted by both coaches among the Top 5 players - not bad for a small forward.

Rare for the premiership team's best and fairest winner to miss All Australian selection.
I think it might've happened twice in the 90's

Hawthorn 2011
3rd, 18 wins, 4 losses, 144.1%
QF - Haw lost to Geel by 31
SF - Haw def Syd by 36
PF - Haw lost to Coll by 3

Best and fairest:
177 Sam Mitchell (All Australian)
160 Josh Gibson
138 Grant Birchall (All Australian)
135 Lance Franklin (All Australian)
126 Luke Hodge

Hawthorn 2013
1st, 19 wins, 3 losses, 135.7%
QF - Haw def Syd by 54
PF - Haw def Geel by 5
GF - Haw def Freo by 15

Best and fairest:
178 Josh Gibson
167 Jarryd Roughead (All Australian)
161 Sam Mitchell (All Australian)
152 Ben Stratton
146 Luke Hodge

Rare for the premiership team's best and fairest winner to miss All Australian selection.
I think it might've happened twice in the 90's

Hawthorn 2011
3rd, 18 wins, 4 losses, 144.1%
QF - Haw lost to Geel by 31
SF - Haw def Syd by 36
PF - Haw lost to Coll by 3

Best and fairest:
177 Sam Mitchell (All Australian)
160 Josh Gibson
138 Grant Birchall (All Australian)
135 Lance Franklin (All Australian)
126 Luke Hodge

Hawthorn 2013
1st, 19 wins, 3 losses, 135.7%
QF - Haw def Syd by 54
PF - Haw def Geel by 5
GF - Haw def Freo by 15

Best and fairest:
178 Josh Gibson
167 Jarryd Roughead (All Australian)
161 Sam Mitchell (All Australian)
152 Ben Stratton
146 Luke Hodge
AA board don't like dogs.

On a serious note: Kieran Jack, Dan Hannebery, Adam Goodes.

10) Xavier Ellis - likes bruise-free loose man in defence football. Cant play anywhere besides half back
9) Shane Savage - Just doesn’t get enough of the ball
8) Hayden Ballantyne - is a poor field kick and also a poor set shot at goal. Only gets a game because of his good defensive pressure. Nowhere near the nous of a milne etc
7) Matt Priddis - Just slow and generally unskillful. Poor field kicking. Umpires pet who dives on the ball and rarely gets pinged or dives forward as soon as he is tackled.
6) Lance Franklin - Poor kick, very poor overhead mark - on huge money, enough said
5) Matthew Broadbent - is rated by port by who knows why? Cannot do anything exceptional well, doesn’t hurt the opposition enough
4) Lewis Roberts-Thompson - Still has a poor feel for the game and doesn’t do enough for a senior player.
3) Lance Franklin - Poor kick, very poor overhead mark - on huge money, enough said
2) Heritier Lumumba - A self-absorbed amateur philosopher who just isn’t that creative off half-back, isn't too good defensively as well
1) Travis Varcoe - poor hand and foot skills. Poor decision maker.

Honourable mentions Tom Scully - just hasn’t progressed. Doesn’t do enough for his younger teammates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back