Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he is a star and would love to have him at collingwood, but he is contanstly put in the group of best 10 or so players for the last 15 years and is compared to guys like Judd who in my opinion are far better than hodge who hasn't produced the form required to be compared with those guys at a consistent rate.

good big game player but you are bang on.

Hodge's best isn't even in the same post code as Judd's. There is a reason why the most brownlow votes he has polled in a year is 17 (as much as brownlow voting is flawed it doesn't miss good players over time)

Matt Suckling- The guy is a great kick i accept that but every other part of his game is atrocious at best. His decision making is deplorable often going for kicks so difficult that he himself can often not hit. He also frequently attempts to spear kicks that are not needed this causes him to occasionally kick grubbers or making it harder for his teammates to mark. His opponent constantly beats him one on one and his tackling is non existent. He is only a viable selection as he is covered by his teammates. In an average side he would be found out much more severely. I don't see any difference between him and Josh Hunt
Crikey if as ordinary as that you must have a huge opinion of the rest of the Hawthorn back line.

Crikey if as ordinary as that you must have a huge opinion of the rest of the Hawthorn back line.

it's a pretty solid defence but Hawthorn also concede a lot less i50s compared to other sides and have midfielders that run both ways that always help out down back

Dyson Heppell is overrated.

******* great player but the way commentators verbally masturbate over him makes me cringe at times.

Going AA at age 22 is very impressive and honestly, I don't think I've heard *that* much verbal masturbation over his ability. It sure as * beats commentators pointing out how old Fletcher is every 5 seconds anyway. I would say Heppell isn't overrated or underrated - in fact I say people generally rate him perfectly - a young player already playing some great footy during a time of turmoil at Essendon. I don't think he'll hit AA again this season and will take a bit to find consistency, but will then be continuously hitting top form in a couple years time for years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good big game player but you are bang on.

Hodge's best isn't even in the same post code as Judd's. There is a reason why the most brownlow votes he has polled in a year is 17 (as much as brownlow voting is flawed it doesn't miss good players over time)

Hodge averages more Brownlow votes per game than some players who have won a Brownlow Ie Akermanis and is basically the same in average votes per game as Michael Voss. He might have never scored more than 17 but he'll get 15 every other season.

Hodges best is absolutely in the same postcode as Judds. People are delusional in this aspect. in 2004 Judd was insane and was producing amazing games week after week, but at no time has Judds very best been anywhere near miles ahead of Hodges very best. Thats why he is rated.

The "good big game player thing / loose half back flank" is a cop out. He gets targetted because he is not a pure midfielder and is sometimes moved around (like Bartel) but thats the beauty of him. Hodge is an elite defender when he is there but he is also an elite midfielder. He has played predominantly midfield for the last few years. He is also outperforming basically everyone from his draft still playing.

If any of you guys had him in your team, and watched him every week you'd be arguing the exact opposite. He's a dead set gun.

I also really don't understand how he is rated in the top 10-20 players currently on journos like Robbo and Sheehan's list. There are guys put far below him who produce his quality more consistently but simply because of his grand final performances he gets increased ridiculously

Or, maybe because your not paying attention to the fact that he is still playing outstanding football while most from his draft are past it.

Averaged 26 touches a game last year, without any fuss / fanfare from the media. This year started in similar fashion, and coming off a lazy 44/2 goals.

Hodge averages more Brownlow votes per game than some players who have won a Brownlow Ie Akermanis and is basically the same in average votes per game as Michael Voss. He might have never scored more than 17 but he'll get 15 every other season.

Hodges best is absolutely in the same postcode as Judds. People are delusional in this aspect. in 2004 Judd was insane and was producing amazing games week after week, but at no time has Judds very best been anywhere near miles ahead of Hodges very best. Thats why he is rated.

i'm not discounting that he is a very consistant player. If i were to rank his "season" he would get 8/10 most years. The difference is that he
1) hasn't had any "10/10" years, ala Judd in 2004
2) he doesn't play that many 10/10 games.

his peaks aren't as high as other top line players. He has never played as well as GAJ did last year for even one game, let alone half the season like GAJ did.

i'm not discounting that he is a very consistant player. If i were to rank his "season" he would get 8/10 most years. The difference is that he
1) hasn't had any "10/10" years, ala Judd in 2004
2) he doesn't play that many 10/10 games.

his peaks aren't as high as other top line players. He has never played as well as GAJ did last year for even one game, let alone half the season like GAJ did.

Sorry mate, this happens to be the most ridiculous thing I have read.

1) If Judds 2004 is a 10 out of 10 year, then practically no one has a 10 out of 10 year. One of the best years in History that few will ever be able to match. However, Hodges 2010 and 2008 were 9/10
2) You don't watch grand finals? If his 2 norm smiths aren't 10 out of 10 then nothing is.

The bolded part is funny. In the last game Hodge played, which was approximately 3 days ago, Ablett has only exceeded it (according to champion data) 6 times since the start of 2013, and thats only because he is a freak. Nat Fyfe - commonly regarded as the next best in the league has statistically never matched it.

I know it was kind of a nothing match, but the point remains. If anything I would say your assessment is the exact opposite of reality. His peaks are higher than almost anyones, but he probably doesn't play at his peak level as often as others Ie Pendlebury. In saying this though, he is almost always in our best 6 or so, and he saves his best for big games, which is often what makes a players legacy and

I understand I may come across as Bias, but i am just staggered that at the anti-Hodge rhetoric creeping into bigfooty in the off season. If anything winning North Smiths and getting regular BOGs when most of the players in your draft are cooked would actually increase your rating.

I can not believe some of the names mentioned in this thread

Simon Black
Luke Hodge
Fyfe
Judd
Jimmy Bartel
Scarlett
Ablett jnr
J Watson
Mundy
N Riewoldt
Rockliff
Dangerfield
Roughead
Gibson
Burgoyne
Goddard
O'Keefe
Harvey
Hurley
Kerr
Boak
Chapman
Swan
Pendlebury
Heppell
Goldstein
Hawkins

* I give up, these player are or have been excellent players, I wish my team had more players who are overrated.

* me, Hodge, Bartel, Chapman, O'Keefe, Goddard, Fyfe, Judd, Ablett Jnr have been nothing short of amazing in a Grand Farking final, and then we have the likes of Roughead who single handedly beat Port in last years prelim which resulted in his side winning the flag.

Last edited:

Also mate, On this-

According to champion data - Luke Hodge's 2005 was statistically greater than ANY year Ablett has ever put together according to champion data.

Also mate, On this-

According to champion data - Luke Hodge's 2005 was statistically greater than ANY year Ablett has ever put together according to champion data.

Wrong.

According to champion data - Luke Hodge's 2005 was statistically NOT greater than Ablett's 2009, 2012 and 2014 according to champion data.

I can not believe some of the names mentioned in this thread

Simon Black
Luke Hodge
Fyfe
Judd
Jimmy Bartel
Scarlett
Ablett jnr
J Watson
Mundy
N Riewoldt
Rockliff
Dangerfield
Roughead
Gibson
Burgoyne
Goddard
O'Keefe
Harvey
Hurley
Kerr
Boak
Chapman
Swan
Pendlebury
Heppell
Goldstein
Hawkins

* I give up, these player are or have been excellent players, I wish my team had more players who are overrated.

* me, Hodge, Bartel, Chapman, O'Keefe, Goddard, Fyfe, Judd, Ablett Jnr have been nothing short of amazing in a Grand Farking final, and then we have the likes of Roughead who single handedly beat Port in last years prelim which resulted in his side winning the flag.
The best players can be over rated.

GAJ has been called the GOAT. To me that puts him in this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back