Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/year.php?firstname=Luke&surname=Hodge&year=2005

Look @ total points. Has Ablett ever exceeded 2842 points for the year without playing finals?

He has been in 2700's 3 times, and has played finals in those years

Try using averages as opposed to total points. One or two games make a difference when looking at total points. Ablett's PPG was greater in all three of those years than Hodge's 2005.

Hodge has had one elite year and a couple of very good years.

Ablett has been consistently elite over a number of years.

Try using averages as opposed to total points. One or two games make a difference when looking at total points. Ablett's PPG was greater in all three of those years than Hodge's 2005.

Hodge has had one elite year and a couple of very good years.

Ablett has been consistently elite over a number of years.

Yes actually your spot on, I was looking at total, However there isn't alot in it. Abletts best year (2009) at an average of 140 is not a massive gap between Hodges 135.3 in 2005. Considering that Ablett is probably the GOAT this reflects pretty highly on Hodge.

I don't doubt that Ablett is a better player than Hodge. I am not delusional, However I was responding to the poster who said that Hodge had never played one game ever as good as one game Ablett played last year, and also that Hodge's peak isn't as high as other elite players, which i was just pointing out is based on nothing and completely untrue.

Also, Hodge has had at least 4 elite years mate, most of the others have been "very good years"

Yes actually your spot on, I was looking at total, However there isn't alot in it. Abletts best year (2009) at an average of 140 is not a massive gap between Hodges 135.3 in 2005. Considering that Ablett is probably the GOAT this reflects pretty highly on Hodge.

I don't doubt that Ablett is a better player than Hodge. I am not delusional, However I was responding to the poster who said that Hodge had never played one game ever as good as one game Ablett played last year, and also that Hodge's peak isn't as high as other elite players, which i was just pointing out is based on nothing and completely untrue.

Also, Hodge has had at least 4 elite years mate, most of the others have been "very good years"

I guess it depends on your definition of elite. For me more than >120 ppg is elite status where as 110 to 120 is very good. Hodge has had one year over 120 (although he comes close in a couple of other years). GAJ has actually been >125 for the last 7 years.

Agree with your other comments about Hodge btw, I rate Hodge as a player. However as you pointed out he hasn't been at an elite level consistently enough to be at GAJ's level and statistically he's had a few ordinary years recently.

I can not believe some of the names mentioned in this thread

Simon Black
Luke Hodge
Fyfe
Judd
Jimmy Bartel
Scarlett
Ablett jnr
J Watson
Mundy
N Riewoldt
Rockliff
Dangerfield
Roughead
Gibson
Burgoyne
Goddard
O'Keefe
Harvey
Hurley
Kerr
Boak
Chapman
Swan
Pendlebury
Heppell
Goldstein
Hawkins

* I give up, these player are or have been excellent players, I wish my team had more players who are overrated.

* me, Hodge, Bartel, Chapman, O'Keefe, Goddard, Fyfe, Judd, Ablett Jnr have been nothing short of amazing in a Grand Farking final, and then we have the likes of Roughead who single handedly beat Port in last years prelim which resulted in his side winning the flag.

That's a bloody good side right there.
100% agree.

I can not believe some of the names mentioned in this thread

* I give up, these player are or have been excellent players, I wish my team had more players who are overrated.

* me, Hodge, Bartel, Chapman, O'Keefe, Goddard, Fyfe, Judd, Ablett Jnr have been nothing short of amazing in a Grand Farking final, and then we have the likes of Roughead who single handedly beat Port in last years prelim which resulted in his side winning the flag.

You can be the greatest player of all time and still be overrated. Blows my mind how people struggle to grasp this concept.

You can be the greatest player of all time and still be overrated. Blows my mind how people struggle to grasp this concept.

Cool, so who on that list is overrated in your opinion?
To me they have all had a little period where they have been overrated and some underrated but overall it balances out.

All of them are bloody good footy players, and it is a joke that their names even get mentioned in this thread.

If i read a Hawks supporter talking up Roughead, or Geelong supporter talking up Bartel, or a Essendon supporter talking up Long or a Crow supporter talking up Jarman maybe they are overrating them slightly but how do you not praise a player who single handedly won you a prelim or a GF which you otherwise would not have won.

* I understand why a supporter base have more respect for some of the champs who have played for their club, Long is the perfect example from a Essendon supporters perspective, without him in 93 our prelim was toast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

K8TyNMO.gif

good big game player but you are bang on.

Hodge's best isn't even in the same post code as Judd's. There is a reason why the most brownlow votes he has polled in a year is 17 (as much as brownlow voting is flawed it doesn't miss good players over time)

Yes it does. In 2008 he got 2 votes for the season and was 2nd in Champion Data averages.

Tom Scully
Fyfe (heavily overated, can crash packs, but can't kick, handball or dispose etc he is very far off)
Sandilands
Dangerfield
Lewis
Hodge (I'm probably being unfair here)
Rioli
Petrie
Hawkins (Same as Hodge he's elite but arguably overrated)

Can't really think of a tenth so I'll have to go with Rance :D

Tom Scully
Fyfe (heavily overated, can crash packs, but can't kick, handball or dispose etc he is very far off)
Sandilands
Dangerfield
Lewis
Hodge (I'm probably being unfair here)
Rioli
Petrie
Hawkins (Same as Hodge he's elite but arguably overrated)

Can't really think of a tenth so I'll have to go with Rance :D

Fyfe the best player in the comp is overrated?
3 time premiership players are everywhere and 2 x Norm Smith medalists are a dime a dozen.:rolleyes:

Jarryn Geary. This absolute hack of a footballer just captained an AFL team over the weekend.

Can't bowl, can't throw, kick, handball. He runs into packs and takes out blokes and yet, he captained an AFL side.

I think I hate him and where my club is going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back