Remove this Banner Ad

Spitter9

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
Jarryn Geary. This absolute hack of a footballer just captained an AFL team over the weekend.

Can't bowl, can't throw, kick, handball. He runs into packs and takes out blokes and yet, he captained an AFL side.

I think I hate him and where my club is going.
completely agree.

detox

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Joel Selwood starting to get up there.. Don't think he is any better then 6-7 years ago.. Crashes himself into play and gets himself hurt stupidly at times, really doesn't make him a better player. Courageous yes but it ll start to wear on him.
Deserves a bit of leeway with his average form. Every champion still has these sorts of patches occasionally.

He is so far from overrated.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jarryn Geary. This absolute hack of a footballer just captained an AFL team over the weekend.

Can't bowl, can't throw, kick, handball. He runs into packs and takes out blokes and yet, he captained an AFL side.

I think I hate him and where my club is going.

If Jarryn was one of the 18-22nd players picked each week i would be happy. He will never be top 10 at the club (unless its a very ordinary side) but he has a place in many teams and is a heart and soul type player. I also dont think anyone "rates" him.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Joel Selwood starting to get up there.. Don't think he is any better then 6-7 years ago.. Crashes himself into play and gets himself hurt stupidly at times, really doesn't make him a better player. Courageous yes but it ll start to wear on him.

once Dangerfield is in the team and copping the main tag, Selwood will be back at his best where he belongs ;)

Windhover

Premiership Player
Mar 16, 2010
Ruffy
AFL Club
Carlton
Patrick Cripps.

IMO he is the only player in the AFL who can challenge Fyfe for the Brownlow this year, will win a string of them in the next 10 years (subject to tackling suspensions) and lead the Mighty Blues to at least 5 Premierships.

If that isn't seriously over-rating Babyface I am going to be deliriously happy for the next 10 years.:)

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
He's had this kind of patch every year for the past 3 years. His best is right up there though, and he tends to turn on it near the end of the season.

Very true, however this year it'll probably be too late.
He cant just rely on his teammates to get him to a top 4 finish anymore and run into form come round 20+

Tsongkie

Senior List
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
1. Pavlich (made a career living on the tail-end of 2-3 good years)
2. Riewoldt (milking the coffers dry at Saint land giving nothing in return, and they love him for it - go figure)
3. Gibbs (chronic mismatch between reputed level of ability and actual level of ability)
4. Frawley (talked up in the media, mostly by relatives and friends of relatives to assist lucrative trade deal)
5. Marc Murphy (been an average player from day 1... amazing that he is captain)
6. Scully (contrasting ability and results to remuneration)
7. Watson (talked up in the media, undeserving Brownlow medalist, chronic media bias about his skill)
8. Kreuzer (Most club's second string ruck on a bad day is still is better than Kreuzer on a good day)
9. Swallow (in the same vein as Deledio, Cotchin, and other Victorian-based midfielders - talked up by the AFL and media to get bums on seats)
10. Tom McDonald (10+ better defenders in the AFL and that's being modest)

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
1. Pavlich (made a career living on the tail-end of 2-3 good years) - Only somewhat agree
2. Riewoldt (milking the coffers dry at Saint land giving nothing in return, and they love him for it - go figure) - Totally disagree
3. Gibbs (chronic mismatch between reputed level of ability and actual level of ability) - Not rated - everyone knows hes a spud
4. Frawley (talked up in the media, mostly by relatives and friends of relatives to assist lucrative trade deal) - Agree
5. Marc Murphy (been an average player from day 1... amazing that he is captain) - Agree
6. Scully (contrasting ability and results to remuneration) - Not rated
7. Watson (talked up in the media, undeserving Brownlow medalist, chronic media bias about his skill) - Disagree
8. Kreuzer (Most club's second string ruck on a bad day is still is better than Kreuzer on a good day) - Hard to say, his best is plenty good enough. whether we'll see it...who knows
9. Swallow (in the same vein as Deledio, Cotchin, and other Victorian-based midfielders - talked up by the AFL and media to get bums on seats) - Andrew, yes... David, No.
10. Tom McDonald (10+ better defenders in the AFL and that's being modest) Disagree - hes been fantastic this year but hes running out of legs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
once Dangerfield is in the team and copping the main tag, Selwood will be back at his best where he belongs ;)
Why would Dangerfield go to a club that is going to bottom out and wont probably contend finals again until he's near retirement?

jarmanagic

Club Legend
Nov 25, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
1. Pavlich (made a career living on the tail-end of 2-3 good years

You are kidding about Pavlich. Superstar. 8 times All Australian. Made a career on last 2-3 yrs? How do you do that anyway? Most durable Key position forward of last 25 years. How is he possibly over rated?
Name a better West Coast forward ever? I'll go first.... None

Tsongkie

Senior List
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
You are kidding about Pavlich. Superstar. 8 times All Australian. Made a career on last 2-3 yrs? How do you do that anyway? Most durable Key position forward of last 25 years. How is he possibly over rated?
Name a better West Coast forward ever? I'll go first.... None
Granted. Two-three of his All-Australians were merited. Many were not. When he get's his chance on the big stage he invariably chokes. It's just my opinion, no need to get too riled up. Sumich was a better forward. More recently though there is no WCE to match - but that wasn't my stated point, nor is it relevant to my original comment. I wouldn't get too caught up with all-Australian's either, Eric McKenzie was the best defender in the league for two consecutive years and didn't get a mention, nor did Priddis - the glaring exception.

jarmanagic

Club Legend
Nov 25, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Granted. Two-three of his All-Australians were merited. Many were not. When he get's his chance on the big stage he invariably chokes. It's just my opinion, no need to get too riled up. Sumich was a better forward. More recently though there is no WCE to match - but that wasn't my stated point, nor is it relevant to my original comment. I wouldn't get too caught up with all-Australian's either, Eric McKenzie was the best defender in the league for two consecutive years and didn't get a mention, nor did Priddis - the glaring exception.
Actually I think he might have been AA 6 times. My error. You can be unlucky not get selected like Priddis but can't be lucky 6 times. No way Sumich was better. He played in a superb team that fed him. Pav has rarely had that

Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
I use to think Pav was overrated but I really don't think he is. Early on in his career he choked a little but he has been mainly great in finals and big games since. Look at how good he was in that 2012 EF against Geelong. He is one that can hold his head up high over the past few years in regards to performing in big matches for his team.

The guy is a champ IMO.

JordanStorm

Debutant
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, New York Giants, OKC
Kurt Tippett would have to be up there. Hasn't done near enough since moving to Sydney, considering the contract he got and the hype surrounding him when he moved
James Frawley was massively overhyped last year, reckon he was just a decent player in a struggling team when he was at Melbourne (not just last year, throughout his whole career)
Ben Reid is similarly overhyped, has had a couple of good years, but not consistent enough and very injury-prone
Marc Murphy- Good player, but is he captain-material? No. Not a real leader
Jarrad Waite- Not by the general football community, just by North's recruiters. What on Earth were we thinking bringing him in?

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In what world is Swallow talked up to the extent of Deledio and Cotchin?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure most casual supporters still think Boomer is our captain.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure most casual supporters still think Boomer is our captain.
It's baffling. Boomer, Petrie, Thomas are the guys that are talked up by the media.

detox

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Tippett owns this thread. Is arguably producing less per $$ than scully (who is now performing well) and no one says anything.

Others

Gibbs - needs no introduction

Swan - kicks goals which is good but his disposals have such limited Hurt factor. AA discussions this year are typical of his career. At his peak he was a gun but being in the Collingwood spotlight has always helped him. You never worry about him getting the ball and he frequently gets 35+ and has little impact on the game, yet will get into the bests by the stat sheet. Collingwood have always gone out of their way to give him the ball, yet I don't know why.

Dangerfield -overrated due to style of play- looks great bursting through and kicks a few goals but he doesn't cut you up with disposal throughout a whole game.

Sam Reid - Great hands. Basically mediocre at everything else.

Scott Thompson (north) - gets too many bags kicked on him that don't get discussed, meanwhile Josh Gibson gets one bag of 5 kicked on him once in 18 months and everyone says he can't defend one on one.

From my team - Suckling. Looks good when on song but shanks 500% more kicks than someone who is apparently an elite kick should.

Beams- great player, but again I think he doesn't have the hurt factor top mids have.

Keiran Jack - good player, but basically is a Brad Sewell / Matthew Boyd type player who scraps hard but lacks polish, yet is sometimes rated higher than what he produces.

Jack Ziebell. Has done nothing to justify his hype.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back