VFL Past #54: Nick O'Brien - returning to play for Essendon VFL in 2017!

Remove this Banner Ad

He looks like a real trouble maker. DE-LIST :)
038810-nicholas-o-amp-039-brien.jpg

I really hope he isn't the sub! would be such a shame to continually expose our young players with a quarter/less than a quarter of football and hope they can learn & build on their experiences.

Nick O'Brien will probably find more midfield minutes than what he has after developing in the VFL as a midfielder but I expect him to play more forward than midfield. Ben Howlett will be the 'one' that will be given more opportunities than what he has had in recent matches.

Yeh your probably right. Melksham, Myers deserve a full game ahead of him no questions. Id think Colyer or Howlett could be worth a go as the sub instead of Obrien.

I mean what a perfect time to instill confidence into the kid and play him at least 3 quarters of the match. Howletts had a high workload this year even when he was the sub he came on early for Hurley so that proposed managed/rest didnt end up happening.

Yeh your probably right. Melksham, Myers deserve a full game ahead of him no questions. Id think Colyer or Howlett could be worth a go as the sub instead of Obrien.

I mean what a perfect time to instill confidence into the kid and play him at least 3 quarters of the match. Howletts had a high workload this year even when he was the sub he came on early for Hurley so that proposed managed/rest didnt end up happening.

NOB's game isn't conducive to being the sub either. Runs like the clappers, but isn't really an 'impact' sort of guy.

Colyer, Merrett or Davey should be sub IMO.

My biggest gripe with the sub system is how the clubs use it, more specifically the usage of the younger players to impact games. We seem reluctant to play a kid for the better amount of game time instead giving him limited exposure to heavily impact games enough to keep his place in the side, and then over a number of weeks force his way into the starting 21.

Hence, I expect Nick O'Brien to be the sub (would be bloody grateful if he wasn't!!)

My biggest gripe with the sub system is how the clubs use it, more specifically the usage of the younger players to impact games. We seem reluctant to play a kid for the better amount of game time instead giving him limited exposure to heavily impact games enough to keep his place in the side, and then over a number of weeks force his way into the starting 21.

Hence, I expect Nick O'Brien to be the sub (would be bloody grateful if he wasn't!!)

I'm with you i hope he is not the sub and i hate it when the young blokes are used as sub in early games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We seem reluctant to play a kid for the better amount of game time instead giving him limited exposure to heavily impact games enough to keep his place in the side, and then over a number of weeks force his way into the starting 21.
The first and second years have gotten 27 games between them this season, and only 4 vests. None have been subbed off. If you don't count Kommer, it's still 15 games for 3 vests. Hams is the only player to have exclusively played as the sub, but given he's an inside midfielder with the body of a child that makes perfect sense.

FWIW, I expect Colyer will be the sub again.

NOB's game isn't conducive to being the sub either. Runs like the clappers, but isn't really an 'impact' sort of guy.

Colyer, Merrett or Davey should be sub IMO.

While it would be good to see him play a full game, having a sub with great endurance who doesn't need to be interchanged helps with the rotations of everyone else, so there is value in it.

10 possession (8 contested) in just over a quarter of footy isn't that bad. You wouldn't have thought that many. Does he keep his spot for next week? I hope so..

more then doubled merrets possession count for the entire game so he'd be very stiffed to be dropped, its possible unless they both go out though.

10 possession (8 contested) in just over a quarter of footy isn't that bad. You wouldn't have thought that many. Does he keep his spot for next week? I hope so..

That much? I didn't notice him at all, he must have accumulated them pretty quietly. I hope he holds his spot next week, he should have the tank to run out a full game too.

That much? I didn't notice him at all, he must have accumulated them pretty quietly. I hope he holds his spot next week, he should have the tank to run out a full game too.

I was calling to delist him thinking he wasnt getting much of it at VFL level

NEKMINIT

look at his VFL stats and he is averaging 20+ possessions per game. definitely unassuming and deserved his chance after a 30+ game against Werribee last week.

I was calling to delist him thinking he wasnt getting much of it at VFL level

NEKMINIT

look at his VFL stats and he is averaging 20+ possessions per game. definitely unassuming and deserved his chance after a 30+ game against Werribee last week.

I guess the VFL stats can be pretty misleading because we don't know what role the guy has. He might have been tagging someone for parts of his games to give practice in that area, or deliberately being given a mismatch to help him learn from an experienced player.

I guess the VFL stats can be pretty misleading because we don't know what role the guy has. He might have been tagging someone for parts of his games to give practice in that area, or deliberately being given a mismatch to help him learn from an experienced player.

I was at his last start VFL game.. Just goes about his business and accumulates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back