VFL Past #54: Nick O'Brien - returning to play for Essendon VFL in 2017!

Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
36596_3845287229508_785061794_n.jpg
Nicholas O'Brien - #26

Height:188cm
Weight: 91kg

• North Ballarat Rebels captain, 2011
  • Vic Metro representative, 2011
  • Pick #59, 2011 National Draft, from North Ballarat Rebels (TAC Cup)
DOB: 26/06/93
Height: 189cm
Weight: 89Kg

KEVIN SHEEHAN SAYS

"U18 Vic Country rep, averaging 18.2 disposals, six marks.
Lead-up forward with work-rate, strong hands and great
left boot. Composed with ball. From Carnghom Linton FC."

AFL.com.au

From Knightmare's phantom draft

Nic O’Brien (VIC - Fwd)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 26/06/1993
Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 35-rookie
Profile: Good size for a medium forward. Strong mark overhead and on the lead. Presents really well. Good tackling ability and gives those 2nd and 3rd efforts. Performances throughout the year have been very good. Has good vision but kicking can at times let him down at times, really needs to work hard on it.
Why:

Snoops phantom draft

Nick O’Brien (North Ballarat / 189 / 89 / 93)

Been pidgeoned as a fwd but I think he has terrific endurance and that was borne out at the DC where he had a 15+ beep. Tells me he could move to the middle and if that is the case then I can see him going a bit higher than here because he is a beautiful kick and has really good hands. Will appeal because he can certainly play as a third tall lead up type such as MacAffer but he has the endurance to run in the middle so shapes as a Pendlebury sized midfielder. In the bests 7 out of 10 games for NBR and shows plenty of development for me. In saying that I could see him sent to state league for a year or two as well and then coming up later.
AFL Comparison – Andrew Embley

Feel free to add any links.

Welcome to Essendon Nick

Interesting to note, O'Brien and Kavanagh were opposing captains in the Heral Sun shielf final this year, and now they are team mates.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Re: National Draft Pick # 59 - Nick O'Brien

They said similar to Lingy and tested similar to Ling. Sheehan in high regard for him said he was surprised he hadnt been selected when the draft was at around pick 40 or so.

Vass38

All Australian
May 31, 2010
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon

anyone got a pic? If hes half as good as Ling hes a great get at 59

Super Gusto

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

Heard that he's been pigeon hold as a forward by many although he has the capacity to move into the centre as Pendelbury sized midfield. Quick off the mark with good hands.

wasupwidat

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lakers

Played cricket against him the other year and could've gone either way. Heard heaps about him being from Ballarat. Good get! May be a steal at 59.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon

Snoop Dog (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=885853)

# 78 Geelong – Nick O’Brien (North Ballarat / 189 / 89 / 93)

Been pidgeoned as a fwd but I think he has terrific endurance and that was borne out at the DC where he had a 15+ beep. Tells me he could move to the middle and if that is the case then I can see him going a bit higher than here because he is a beautiful kick and has really good hands. Will appeal because he can certainly play as a third tall lead up type such as MacAffer but he has the endurance to run in the middle so shapes as a Pendlebury sized midfielder. In the bests 7 out of 10 games for NBR and shows plenty of development for me. In saying that I could see him sent to state league for a year or two as well and then coming up later.
AFL Comparison – Andrew Embley

Knightmare (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=886979&)
#96 GWS – Nic O’Brien (VIC - Fwd)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 91kg, DOB: 26/06/1993
Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 35-rookie
Profile: Good size for a medium forward. Strong mark overhead and on the lead. Presents really well. Good tackling ability and gives those 2nd and 3rd efforts. Endurance is elite for his type and can push up the ground pretty easily. Performances throughout the year have been very good. Has good vision but kicking can at times let him down at times, really needs to work hard on it.

Chris25 (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=883264)
#92 GWS - Nic O'Brien (189cm forward - North Ballarat)

Not the most exciting player going around, but a good player nonetheless. Playing as a high half forward, he presents well, has a very strong set of hands and won’t stop running all day. Captain of North Ballarat, and he can push up into the midfield too. I doubt he'll ever win awards, but the clubs fan will like him. As will the coaching staff, as they'll know they have a real leader. AFL Comparison: Danny Stanley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide

Apparently travelled to west indies to play cricket or something not sure if it was for an aussie side or a west indie side (lower level than international obviously)

wasupwidat

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lakers

Apparently travelled to west indies to play cricket or something not sure if it was for an aussie side or a west indie side (lower level than international obviously)
I think from memory it was the Australian under 16's side. Was playing A-Grade cricket in Ballarat as well as senior footy.

TigerTank

Premiership Player
Aug 24, 2000
Wendouree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
KC Chiefs, Royal Park FNC, Man City

Rapt Nick got drafted. Disappointed it wasn't to the Tigers.
Quality footballer, quality bloke. Terrific leader at St Pat's and Rebels.
I think you've done well.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

Be interesting to see where he fits into our line-up - Seems a similar type to Steinberg.

Having a big tank should open up options.

I Steinberg a certainty to 'make it'?

O'Brien seems a bit more 'speculative', perhaps a similar type to Crameri, third tall marking type.

TigerTank

Premiership Player
Aug 24, 2000
Wendouree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
KC Chiefs, Royal Park FNC, Man City

Plays taller than that too.
Great contested mark with some big man presence.
If he can grow an inch or two, will be a key position option.

I Steinberg a certainty to 'make it'?

O'Brien seems a bit more 'speculative', perhaps a similar type to Crameri, third tall marking type.

You read my mind !

Steinberg has the tools but does he have the game sense.

Back