VFL Past #54: Nick O'Brien - returning to play for Essendon VFL in 2017!

Remove this Banner Ad

So he's being deliberately trained as defensive midfield cover?
Is that why he gets a bit of the ball in the 2's but isn't particularly noticeable?

The only game this year that he was noticeably tagging was against Northern Blues.

At the start of the year he was getting to a huge amount of contests basically just following the ball around.

He got a lot of possessions without really doing anything which is why he isn't noticeable. Lots of dinky kicks forward and handballs to a team mate next to him. He needed to get better value for his possessions but, to be honest, it hasn't come and now he isn't getting as much of the ball despite minimal apparent change to his role.

I think they're looking at him as another big body to develop as an inside midfidler. His endurance is a real strength and, unlike our other inside mids, should enable him to work both ways. It will come, he is just going to have to bide his time because his clearance work isn't yet good enough for him to displace anyone and he doesn't add the huge point of difference that could get him a few games by default, as happened with Colyer who was not going that well in the VFL, or a gig as a sub.

Most pleasing part for mine was he lowered his eyes more often than normal and spotted up his targets, even if they were lateral or 45 degree sort of 25-30 metre balls.

I know it's not at AFL level, but I consider that a real break out game for Moose, considering the quality of the oppositon and the way he not only got a stack of it (does that weekly) but actually used it a bit more intelligently.

Needs to get rewarded for his consistent season at VFL level.

For mine, NOB is probably the most under threat amongst that next tier of guys. Has had a pretty good run without injury and despite getting plenty of the ball at the lower level has hardly put pressure on the senior side.

A work horse who grinds and grinds away, it is now or never for NOB to assert himself on more games and look to build on his 5 game career tally.

Perplexing player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I want NOB to rotate forward more. He's the VFL version of Priddis IMO
He needs to be able to release players spreading from congestion better. Has he got the smarts/vision to find players through traffic in better positions to attack? He doesn't strike me as being creative enough.

Did i just read that he got 29 possessions in the VFL on the weekend and that he's only 21?
25 of which were turnovers.

He needs to be able to release players spreading from congestion better. Has he got the smarts/vision to find players through traffic in better positions to attack? He doesn't strike me as being creative enough.

This is the thing.

The standard O'Brien clearance is to snap the ball over his shoulder or just across his body about 15m into the waiting arms of an opponent.

He is a big midfielder but he doesn't seem to be particularly strong and his not powerful. What you'd want from him is to win the ball absorb contact from an opponent or two and then release his team mates with handballs much more often but he doesn't seem to be capable of it.

His go would be hitting packs while moving which is what Heppell does really well. They're very similar in a physical sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back