Traded 11. Darcy Lang (2014-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

have to admit, Lang looks my favourite recruit in many years, I can't wait to see him play in the VFL this year. As Kelly says, he's well-rounded so we could see him play in defense, or even on the ball.
Stephen Wells likes these types, Enright, Kelly, Bartel and now Blicavs, Guthrie, Thurlow and Lang :thumbsu:
AUGURS WELL FOR US.
I'm a big like for Toohey- very coachable, superintelligent, versatile, skilled.
Oakleigh Chargers staff think we got a beauty.

have to admit, Lang looks my favourite recruit in many years, I can't wait to see him play in the VFL this year. As Kelly says, he's well-rounded so we could see him play in defense, or even on the ball.
Stephen Wells likes these types, Enright, Kelly, Bartel and now Blicavs, Guthrie, Thurlow and Lang :thumbsu:

The game has changed so much now from even 10 years ago. Every player was given a position on the ground and rarely did the ever leave. These days, 60% of the squad is multi disciplined and its almost a career killer if you can't be multi dimensional. Sure, the 40% are FF and FB, Ruck type players but anything else is fair game.

As usual, Wells has gotten his mojo going earlier than most when it comes to this ( picking smart intelligent skilled players that are versatile ( yes even Billie Smedts has smarts to a point) and this year is no different. Look at Guthrie. A clearly skilled back man that could play CHB for 13 years and has the moves and skills to be a MF player as well.

AS you said Bobby, Lang fits this well.

I just hope that they are all given time to develop in this world of instant gratification… The kids today mare much more read than that of previous generations, but after all, the are still kids… I still back our system to get it right...

Go Catters

AUGURS WELL FOR US.
I'm a big like for Toohey- very coachable, superintelligent, versatile, skilled.
Oakleigh Chargers staff think we got a beauty.

Haven't see much of him but I know you are well entrenched in the ER stuff so your mail is pretty solid. Looking forward to seeing the VFL get going this season…

Go Catters

Jansen is definitely my fav but I've warmed to our first pick Lang, I think he's going to be a genuine tough nut in the mould of Selwood, maybe not so fancy like Joel, but a real tradesman and hard competitor.
I read somewhere one of his aunts or cousins saying he was a really tough type of kid, and weren't surprised he'd got to an AFL club.
This first rounder will pay dividends. :thumbsu:

Jansen is definitely my fav but I've warmed to our first pick Lang, I think he's going to be a genuine tough nut in the mould of Selwood, maybe not so fancy like Joel, but a real tradesman and hard competitor.
I read somewhere one of his aunts or cousins saying he was a really tough type of kid, and weren't surprised he'd got to an AFL club.
This first rounder will pay dividends. :thumbsu:

Really? This is why I want to see the kids play , either on the screen or even better at the ground because my mental image of Lang is not that.

Tradesman , Hard etc is great but I visualize more white collar than blue. Earlier in this thread Turner says Bartel with more speed.
As I pointed out earlier , to me this borderline delusional as when I think of Jimmy , his marking is so important. But perhaps others see his inside work, the tough in game competitor that we saw in the 2nd quarter of the 2011 GF when we were 2 or 3 goals down.

I had a look around and found this description

"Elite hands, brilliant vision, strong football brain, elite awareness, contested ball winner, strong through the hips, offers good breakaway speed and explosiveness from a stoppage, offers versatility in his midfield position, run-and-carry type, good clearance player, understands running patterns, demonstrated very good ability to spread and find uncontested possessions, big endurance base, strong tackler."

So now Im starting to visualize someone far closer to Kelly than Bartel. Kelly is not great overhead , but a fair dinkum mongrel inside. Has reasonable skills bar his goal kicking. Both are around 183 and if you add pace to the Kelly conundrum you have someone doesn't have to side step tackles but can break away from the tackle with pace. Line breaker.

So a cross between Varcoe and Kelly perhaps. mmm bring him on. I look forward to seeing him so I can put his name to my assessment.

EDIT: Jut had thought that Lang at P16 , Kelly at 17 and even Varcoe at 15 maybe not to far from the mark comparing what we may expect.

Last edited:
That's a well written post Turbo, glad I inspired you to write that piece, but I wasn't meaning anything derogatory when I said tradesman like.
What I meant was he had a certain precision about his play, like Selwood when he seems to be saying, "look and watch me and I'll show you how it's done."
Anyway what you got against blue collar?....the worst of crims are always wearing suits. :D

WE are due for our first pick to come good.

Brown, Varcoe, Tenace, Billie Smedts and even Thurlow have yet proved to be great picks yet.

They may well do so (except Tenace of course). Brown for me is 50/50, Smedts has a fair way to go but has time, Varcoe has had some very good games but still lacks some consistency (but is better than even to come good IMO) and Thurlow looks a likely type and a has a heap of time on his side. But that is a fair few who have yet to make it as a first round pick.

So I am hoping Land comes good sooner rather than later and gets senior games next season and shows something. I will feel a lot happier then.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...is-now-the-pride-of-colac-20140222-3394i.html
Geelong draftee Darcy Lang is now the pride of Colac

DarcyLang_zpsc6c5acb6.jpg

At home: Darcy Lang meets young fans at Geelong's Colac clinic. Photo: Wayne Taylor
With his new teammates staying at a local motel (community camp), Lang slumped back on the couch where he'd spent so many tortured hours last year after snapping his fibula playing in the national under-18 championships. For a time he didn't know if he'd be going anywhere. Fully healed and fit, he hopes to play his first game since when Geelong meets Melbourne in Alice Springs on Friday.​

Lang requested a trade to Carlton for more opportunity and was granted his wish.

All the best to Lang.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back