Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

Most times I watch us play, I am disappointed with Zaka. We have seen what he is capable of, but we don't see it often. I'm not sure whether it's his stylised role or something else, but he should be shaping games more.

Seeing the way Gleeson evades traffic and hits targets and JD threw himself at a loose ball, and looking at how involved Heppell gets, I expect more from #11 than a few junk-time cameos. Not saying he's playing poorly, but after the Crichton win, really expected him to start impacting games. To be honest, I barely notice him most of the time, whereas you can even see what blokes like Myers and Hocking and Howlett are doing. Needs to get involved when the game is still in the balance.
Agreed. Bomber did say he was crook throughout the week, though.

Agreed. Bomber did say he was crook throughout the week, though.

Cheers, yeah, I missed any of the illness talk till I came back on here this morning. Still think it generally applies across his season. Maybe just needs a few solid months of footy to get back to his best.

needs some grippo on his hands, butterfingers the last two weeks.

Spot on.

The second grabs and half grabs of the ball, impact on his ability to get away from the contest, and therefore deliver quality ball.

I'm always defending the guy so conscious of confirmation bias, or at least the perception of it, but watching the game last night, having been told he was sick, he looked totally rooted from the first bounce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better last night but still substandard.

Melksham and Howlett ahead of him on the chopping block.

No way did Melksham play worse then Zaha last night.

Melk:
Disposals 15
Tackles 4
Goals 2
Goal Assist 0
Clearances 3
Cont Disp 7
Inside 50s 5
Marks 5
Marks in 50 1
Disp Eff 86%
TOG 74%

Zaha
Disposals 22
Tackle 1
Goals 0
Goal Assists 1
Clearances 2
Cont Disp 4
Inside 50s 2
Marks 7
Marks in 50 0
Disp Eff 81%
TOG 86%

Less tackles, impact on the scoreboard, clearances, contested play, efficiency etc all while getting more game time.

Nothing I saw would make me put Zaha ahead of the Melkshake on the ground next week.

was hoping this guy would be our next star midfielder just hasn't happened yet.

Speaking of which heppell aside we dont seem to have any young gun mids coming through, we are ok now but if its not looked at we could be in real trouble down the track. Goddard, Watson, Stants wont be around forever.

Melk:
Disposals 15
Tackles 4
Goals 2
Goal Assist 0
Clearances 3
Cont Disp 7
Inside 50s 5
Marks 5
Marks in 50 1
Disp Eff 86%
TOG 74%

Zaha
Disposals 22
Tackle 1
Goals 0
Goal Assists 1
Clearances 2
Cont Disp 4
Inside 50s 2
Marks 7
Marks in 50 0
Disp Eff 81%
TOG 86%

Less tackles, impact on the scoreboard, clearances, contested play, efficiency etc all while getting more game time.

Nothing I saw would make me put Zaha ahead of the Melkshake on the ground next week.
Zaka had 22 touches last night? Wouldn't have thought he had more than 15.

was hoping this guy would be our next star midfielder just hasn't happened yet.

Speaking of which heppell aside we dont seem to have any young gun mids coming through, we are ok now but if its not looked at we could be in real trouble down the track. Goddard, Watson, Stants wont be around forever.

Have been wanting more inside midfielders coming through. Bar Kurt Aylett and the currently injured Will Hams only Nick O'Brien and Elliot Kavanagh (also injured) have not progressed as we would have liked.

We have an abundance of outside runners coming through though (Dalgleish, Edwards, Colyer, Ashby, Fantasia, Z.Merret). Hope we grab a young inside midfielder this year.

Melk:
Disposals 15
Tackles 4
Goals 2
Goal Assist 0
Clearances 3
Cont Disp 7
Inside 50s 5
Marks 5
Marks in 50 1
Disp Eff 86%
TOG 74%

Zaha
Disposals 22
Tackle 1
Goals 0
Goal Assists 1
Clearances 2
Cont Disp 4
Inside 50s 2
Marks 7
Marks in 50 0
Disp Eff 81%
TOG 86%

Zaka was at least trying to run and carry at times. I've never seen a more "meh" performance than Melksham's. Finished well in front of goal but just no real impact in any of his games.

Zaka was at least trying to run and carry at times. I've never seen a more "meh" performance than Melksham's. Finished well in front of goal but just no real impact in any of his games.

Managed to put more on the scoreboard then all our talls combined in a game where we only manged 9 goals.

Zaharakis wasn't even spotted but managed another 20 disposals. Consistently the most unimpressive accumulator in the game. At least when Melksham had it (and didn't have it) he impacted the game in some aspect.

I can't beleive he kicked 31 goals in a season. Would love that from him again.

Have been wanting more inside midfielders coming through. Bar Kurt Aylett and the currently injured Will Hams only Nick O'Brien and Elliot Kavanagh (also injured) have not progressed as we would have liked.

We have an abundance of outside runners coming through though (Dalgleish, Edwards, Colyer, Ashby, Fantasia, Z.Merret). Hope we grab a young inside midfielder this year.

fair enough we have young players I just dont see much elite midfield talent though, hopefully I am wrong.

Has Aylett played as an inside midfielder in the VFL? I thought he was more of a winger when we got him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back