Player Watch #11: Jake Batchelor - Delisted

Reminds me of a younger Newman and a bit of Bowden.

This has struck me before. I don't think it's anything in his playing style. Might be some physical resemblance? Similar faces? Maybe similar running style? Dunno, I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s there.

HighFlyer

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Does he get a game this week ? I like what he brings to the team but with Jackson, Martin and possibly Vickery to bring in does he make way ? The way I see it it's likely Ricky Bobby or Batch if they bring in Vickery. Ricky Bobby can go back..

Jul 3, 2009
tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Does he get a game this week ? I like what he brings to the team but with Jackson, Martin and possibly Vickery to bring in does he make way ? The way I see it it's likely Ricky Bobby or Batch if they bring in Vickery. Ricky Bobby can go back..

I'm not sure Jacko went to well on the weekend? But still he could be valuable against the swans. I'm not sure Vickery gets a game. I wouldn't mind just lennon out for Martin. But could be a mistake leaving Jacko out.

HighFlyer

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I'm not sure Jacko went to well on the weekend? But still he could be valuable against the swans. I'm not sure Vickery gets a game. I wouldn't mind just lennon out for Martin. But could be a mistake leaving Jacko out.

Yeh not saying I'd be doing it myself either it's just going to be very tempting for them to make those changes. I think I read Jacko is also on report.

Jackos form has been underwhelming the past 2 weeks in the VFL.

Dusty in for Lennon is the only change I would make. Not sure who I would sub though, maybe Conca or Gordo but it is a tough call.

Batch stays IMO, we will need him to play tall this week.

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
This has struck me before. I don't think it's anything in his playing style. Might be some physical resemblance? Similar faces? Maybe similar running style? Dunno, I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s there.
The number 11? :p
He has a simular running and kicking style.

thefendoff

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
your chest
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Love his physicality, we don't have many like him. Willing to hurt the opposition. Will only get better offensively as he has the skills. Playing his role perfectly at the moment.

Oct 3, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
The things Batchelor does off the ball goes unnoticed by most. For example N.Riewoldt lost Rance in traffic running torwards goal, Batch picks it up puts a block on Roo which allows Rance to catch up. Really liking the back 6 at the moment.

This.

I've said it in another thread and this may not be popular but to me he is a very similar player to Nick Maxwell. Seems to impact the contest every time he goes near it and his raw stats only tell half the story. I really like having him in the team.

fanatigger

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2008
geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Love Batch but he won't be down back once Astbury is fit. They need to be training him up as the third tall defensive forward in the pre season or trade him to upgrade our second or third pick. I believe he is the best judge of the flight of the ball at our club since Joel Bowden and could be a very dangerous forward that wacks in hard and kicks 1 or 2 a game plus works hard to lock it in when it goes to ground. Have always loved Batch and glad he's got his shot but he ain't gonna get a shot in the backline over Rance , Chappy , Grimes and Astbury so we better get trading or creative in the off season or he is going to spend another 2 years rotting in the VFL playing fullback at 190 cm's .
I reckon he could go well in the midfield.

No frills, no nonsense, just gets the job done. I am a fan.

Seems to just step up when elevated from VFL to AFL regardless of his form coming in.

This.

His VFL form was average at best preior to getting the call up to the seniors. The back 6 is working like a good unit at present, and regardless of individual talent if the 6 work well together we'll go a long way.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Love Batch but he won't be down back once Astbury is fit. They need to be training him up as the third tall defensive forward in the pre season or trade him to upgrade our second or third pick. I believe he is the best judge of the flight of the ball at our club since Joel Bowden and could be a very dangerous forward that wacks in hard and kicks 1 or 2 a game plus works hard to lock it in when it goes to ground. Have always loved Batch and glad he's got his shot but he ain't gonna get a shot in the backline over Rance , Chappy , Grimes and Astbury so we better get trading or creative in the off season or he is going to spend another 2 years rotting in the VFL playing fullback at 190 cm's .

Ha ha, Batchelor was never a 1st , 2nd tall defender. He is largely a 4th/5th defender who can play 6th defender and potentially 3rd defender. Fact is he is not competing with Grimes, Astbury, and Rance let alone Chaplin!!!

Over time Chaplin and Houli and Newman retire or move on, Batchelor stays, its abc!!!

Apr 26, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeh it will be very interesting to see what happens with Astbury back next year, can we play all 5 of them? Batch would probably have to take Newy's spot for it to happen for me, and i'm sure there will be certain games where playing all 5 won't be possible, but its a nice problem to have with Batch and Grimes coming back into some form!

B: Morris, Astbury, Chaplin
HB: Houli, Rance, Batchelor
I: Grimes

The Rusty Trombone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2007
K Mart Car Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
World Donkey Punch Championships
Ha ha, Batchelor was never a 1st , 2nd tall defender. He is largely a 4th/5th defender who can play 6th defender and potentially 3rd defender. Fact is he is not competing with Grimes, Astbury, and Rance let alone Chaplin!!!

Over time Chaplin and Houli and Newman retire or move on, Batchelor stays, its abc!!!
If you think Batchelor can do what Houli and does your dreaming

I remember we trialled him in the midfield a couple of years ago and he didn't adjust well.

Struggled to find it and was sent back to the VFL.

The Rusty Trombone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2007
K Mart Car Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
World Donkey Punch Championships
I remember we trialled him in the midfield a couple of years ago and he didn't adjust well.

Struggled to find it and was sent back to the VFL.
May as we'll let him play on the ball in the VFL for a few cause that's what he'll be playing a lot of once Astbury is fit. Can't hurt. Medium sized forward for mine .

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
May as we'll let him play on the ball in the VFL for a few cause that's what he'll be playing a lot of once Astbury is fit. Can't hurt. Medium sized forward for mine .

We can easy carry him plus the others in defence. He and Grimes can play tall and short, plus be third man up. The only thing they have to work on is their offensive work, we saw it on sunday now just to bring it vs the big boys.

I think morris is the most likely to lose his spot as he Grimes can do his job.

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Still surprised we haven't tried him as a defensive forward/ swing man.

Reminds me of a smaller Bowden.

Strong overhead, beautiful kick of the footy... Half forward who nullifies the oppositions best defenders makes perfect sense for next season :thumbsu:

Still surprised we haven't tried him as a defensive forward/ swing man.

Reminds me of a smaller Bowden.

Strong overhead, beautiful kick of the footy... Half forward who nullifies the oppositions best defenders makes perfect sense for next season :thumbsu:
Both 188cm I think...

I like his hipster beard!

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Watched closely on Sunday. Ran his backside off to create run and many times was ignored but continued to run to space. I was very impressed with his work rate. If everyone worked as hard we would be an awesome team!

Back