Past #11: Michael Firrito - did #11 proud - 2017 assistant coach at Strathmore FC w/ HMac & Narni

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course they don't. They'd barely know he exists.

He's only played over 200 games and is one of the best and most loyal clubmen in the history of the game as well as a fantastic player in a variety of roles, but yeah, he gets nothing.

You can probably tell I love the spud. :$

He used to s**t me with the brain fade fifties but he has seemed to have got that out of the game. A loyal player who has got absolutely everything out of himself. Top Bloke too

North Melbourne ‏@NMFCOfficial 3m3 minutes ago
Scott: Spud (Firrito) has been our most consistent defender all year, so he'll come straight back in #NMFCMedia

Says it all, really. Outside the club, Spud's year has been underrated (and perhaps Robbie's overrated - although he has clearly exceeded expectations).

Who would've thought, 3-4 years ago, that Spud stays in the mix for 2016? It's a credit to him that he continues to get the best out of himself. We'd win 5 flags in a row if the rest of the list did the same.

Some of the calls on here to drop him have been a long, long way off the mark. It was obvious last round how much we missed him. Vital part of our side, still, and could probably go around again at least next year as well :thumbsu:

Hate to say it but I think he's just about cooked. Is it just me or does he seem to get caught out of position a lot and is very slow to recover? Reckon he's battling lately

Hate to say it but I think he's just about cooked. Is it just me or does he seem to get caught out of position a lot and is very slow to recover? Reckon he's battling lately
Maybe hes been asked to protect the fifty whilst Atley and Wright provide more dash? Not sure

I thought his first half defensive efforts were poor, but after that poor effort on the wing in the 3rd 1/4, he turned things around dramatically. He's still an important player and we are a much better defensive unit when him and Scotty are firing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he was pretty bloody good yesterday.

Brute strength and courage got us a valuable goal in the third quarter via Higgins and Nahas (when BB was knocked out of the way "legally" in a marking contest) and some timely spoiling.

I thought he was pretty bloody good yesterday.

Brute strength and courage got us a valuable goal in the third quarter via Higgins and Nahas (when BB was knocked out of the way "legally" in a marking contest) and some timely spoiling.

That was crucial....
Love spud, without him, our backline looks so soft.

That was crucial....
Love spud, without him, our backline looks so soft.

He also showed admirable restraint in the last quarter when he pulled up from putting Walters into the 3rd row of the second level. I thought I was about to witness a 4 weeker and was so relieved when he stopped.

CNIuVezXAAA7i0T.jpg

Typical Spud. Should be use as the photo on the banner this week!

Ok I get it. I went too early. I take it all back. Never said that he was no good, just that (like with any player that plays the game the right way) Father Time is catching up with him and I think it's his last year.

I didn't realize it was his 250th this week so that just makes me feel like a s**t bloke.

Ajen is wright though, without him our backline lacks balls. I love ya Spud. Just think it's his last year

True North Melbourne man is our " Spud ".
Nothing flash, hard at it, gives his all. For a bloke running around at Box Hill that nobody wanted has been a great servant. Proud wearer of the no. " 11 " jumper too.

I'm sure if we win Sat.arvo even the coach will want to chair him off.

Well done mate ! 250 games a fantastic achievement.

Who would of thought a few years ago he would play 250? Horribly out of form, looked slow and over weight then only got his chance again through injury to others.

Since then he has been nothing short of wonderful. Will always have those brain farts at times but what a magnificent servant of our club.

Love ta Spud! Gratz!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back