Past #11: Michael Firrito - did #11 proud - 2017 assistant coach at Strathmore FC w/ HMac & Narni

Remove this Banner Ad

We've heard rumours and what not; but why should he retire? He has had an amazing year and clearly adds an important part in our defence, especially with his short dashes and calmness. His toughness will be seriously missed in the defence.

If i had to rank our defeners this year.

Spud
Tarrant
Wright
Jmac
Atley

ST
Hansen

Yeah the last two were s**t basically all year. An AA gun turned numpty and a guy on a great salary who outside taking intercept marks is completely useless hurt us in terms of a GF threat.

I'd trade either or both of them as your assessment of our defenders, who despite being under pressure Taz/Spud/Wright/Atley and when fit JMac, held up extremely well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the last two were s**t basically all year. An AA gun turned numpty and a guy on a great salary who outside taking intercept marks is completely useless hurt us in terms of a GF threat.

I'd trade either or both of them as your assessment of our defenders, who despite being under pressure Taz/Spud/Wright/Atley and when fit JMac, held up extremely well.

Take out Thompson and Hansen from our defence last week, Tarrant plays on Kennedy so who takes Darling or the resting ruckman Sinclair/Natanui?

Your opinion on Thompson and Hansen is just plain idiotic.

And Spud was on the scrap heap two years ago. He was undisciplined, turned the ball over ad nauseum and couldn't get within 5 metres of anyone on the lead.
Thank Christ the club didn't listen to supporters with no idea and delist/trade him.

Last edited:
I like Spud, been a big fan since I first watched him play.......but if he were to play next year it has to be in a way where he is "phased out gently" Similar to Drewy next year these two need to be sparingly played allowing them to miss say 10 games each and slowly increasing into the back end of the season.

These two play key roles and are playing great footy in their twilight years but we must implement games into some of the younger lads whilst trying to achieve a top 4 finish next year. I think Scotts different coaching attitude now will achieve this.

We need him to play on next year.

We don't have anyone else as versatile and reliable.

Hoping Nielson or Vickers Villis have good years in 2016 and are ready to take over his role in 2017.

I'm delighted if that's true. Not only is he one of the great North Melbourne people, he's playing some damn fine football at the moment and absolutely deserves a one year extension.

Always been a good player, had a down period where he had injury niggles.... only thing is no one ever knew because he doesn't whinge and complain and just goes about his business....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back