Past #11: Michael Firrito - did #11 proud - 2017 assistant coach at Strathmore FC w/ HMac & Narni

Remove this Banner Ad

Kato

Team Captain
Oct 28, 2002
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
UK (University of Kentucky)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by footyman
10. Kangaroos – Michael Firrito (Box Hill Hawks)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bloody Roos again.
First Bairdy, then Spud.

The above post was from a Hawks supporter...

Welcome to North Michael Firrito...

Originally posted by Kato
10. Kangaroos – Michael Firrito (Box Hill Hawks)

Bloody Roos again.
First Bairdy, then Spud.

The above post was from a Hawks supporter...

Welcome to North Michael Firrito...

Is this guy any good?

Well, I've been born and raised a Hawthorn and Box Hill supporter, due to Dad living in Box Hill in his earlier days, and I've seen every one of Firitto's senior games this year, bar one.
The guy is too small for key position at AFL level, and would be best suited to a back flanker or wing role if his pace can pick up a tad.

Very good ball skills and is a good runner once he gets the footy and can pick targets out well. Fair mark for his size, and I'm almost certain he was captain of Eastern Ranges in his TAC days, so he obviously has leadership skills.

Firitto won the medal in the VFL this year for something like best first year player (someone can clear that up for me) and he's a very good player with a footy brain.

The same Hawks supporter gave me this... Sounds Good...

Hilly- any more info on Jeremy Clayton

And 'Spud' - think we have some searching to do

AND DENIS PAGAN HAS ALOT TO BLOODY ANSWER FOR- JONNY MCCORMACK A BLUE:(
:mad:

Go Roos

Originally posted by Kato
Well, I've been born and raised a Hawthorn and Box Hill supporter, due to Dad living in Box Hill in his earlier days, and I've seen every one of Firitto's senior games this year, bar one.
The guy is too small for key position at AFL level, and would be best suited to a back flanker or wing role if his pace can pick up a tad.

Very good ball skills and is a good runner once he gets the footy and can pick targets out well. Fair mark for his size, and I'm almost certain he was captain of Eastern Ranges in his TAC days, so he obviously has leadership skills.

Firitto won the medal in the VFL this year for something like best first year player (someone can clear that up for me) and he's a very good player with a footy brain.

The same Hawks supporter gave me this... Sounds Good...

T'was I. That from from me, Box Hill and Hawthorn Supporter.

Now, If you mongrels will excuse me, I'm off to bang my noggin against a brick wall.

as far as i know adam cosham was captain of the calder cannons, and won the clubs B&F both in 02, i guess its debatable as to how much this sorta stuff counts in the scheme of stuff seeing as cosham didn't even get drafted in the rookie draft, (or am i wrong?)

yeah you're right there, but I dont see how, if cosham was good enough to get best and fairest, and captain the side, no one would think he was good enough to have a go on their rookie list
did anyone see him play? was he lacking spark? or just lacking skills?
just curious....

Leadership skills are secondary to being actually able to play the game. You can't have a team full of leaders either, you need both leaders and followers.

Example: Clayton Lass**** was captain of the Murray Kangaroos at one point. Being captain of the reserves is a good sign about your prospects of playing senior football!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mick Firrito is about 186-188cm I think. Plays in defence from memory as well.

The Kangas sure like the Box Hill players going onto their rookie list. Three of them in two years I think?

riotgirl - interesting comparison, but Michael Firrito is nearly 10cm taller and a lot of players around 178-180cm seemed to miss out this year.

If he ever makes it, North should easily get Dorito chips to sponsor the guy :p

Wrath

riotgirl - interesting comparison, but Michael Firrito is nearly 10cm taller and a lot of players around 178-180cm seemed to miss out this year.

do you think a lot of shorter players worthy of a spot in a teams list missed out just because of height? or was that just a general statement?

Originally posted by riotgirl
do you think a lot of shorter players worthy of a spot in a teams list missed out just because of height? or was that just a general statement?

I'm sure height was a factor in some blokes missing out. Probably combined with another factor, like lack of pace, or lack of versatility, or poor disposal. Anyway, how many smaller players can a club have on a list of 38?

Any reason you have specifically mentioned Adam Cosham though? Melbourne rookie listed Adam Fisher (178cm I think), Paul Shelton was rookie listed by Brisbane (also 178cm I think). David Kellett (178cm) missed out this year because he is considered too slow. Other examples of players who missed out are Abe Williams (176cm) and Corey Brown (180cm).

I'm sure height was a factor in some blokes missing out. Probably combined with another factor, like lack of pace, or lack of versatility, or poor disposal. Anyway, how many smaller players can a club have on a list of 38?

Any reason you have specifically mentioned Adam Cosham though? Melbourne rookie listed Adam Fisher (178cm I think), Paul Shelton was rookie listed by Brisbane (also 178cm I think). David Kellett (178cm) missed out this year because he is considered too slow. Other examples of players who missed out are Abe Williams (176cm) and Corey Brown (180cm).

165cm Stephen Dinnel missed out, so what could be the reasons for his misfortune? All i heard about him in the leadup to the drafts where how goal smart he was, how good he is in his positioning, how good a TAC cup GF he had and yet not even a rookie listing. I myself have suspicions that the short ones seem to get looked over unless they are REALLY REALLY good, eg Rodan, Harvey, Libba (who can forget him?) and i was gonna add Dinnell to that list too.

Any reason you have specifically mentioned Adam Cosham though?

I'd just read a fair bit about him and thought he sounded promising, and tashi saying that Firrito captained and won B&F got me thinking about cosham.

Heard today that Mick may be promoted this week. You'd reckon he'd be selected if this is the case, otherwise why do it? Always exciting to see a youngster do what so many would have killed to do. Good luck to him!

Saw him on Kanga Korner on Fox tonight. Looks like a well built guy, big arms. If they are promoting him straightt away then you would think he will play. Haven't seen many reserves games, what position would he be played in?

Originally posted by windsock
Heard today that Mick may be promoted this week. You'd reckon he'd be selected if this is the case, otherwise why do it? Always exciting to see a youngster do what so many would have killed to do. Good luck to him!

Great news if true. He definately deserves the chance.

Why do you have to select him in the seniors just because he is promoted to the seniors list? I would think it would be used to give this promising kid some encouragement in the hopes that it will increase the speed of his development.

Originally posted by tashibatts
Defence.

Go Roos
Yup. Also has the potential to play on the wing if he increases his pace and endurance, but during his early days he should definitely play of the half back line running out.

Re: Re: Michael Firrito promoted?

Originally posted by Briedis
Great news if true. He definately deserves the chance.

Why do you have to select him in the seniors just because he is promoted to the seniors list? I would think it would be used to give this promising kid some encouragement in the hopes that it will increase the speed of his development.

The reason that they ususally put rookies straight into the 1's after promotion is due to the promotion. It is best not to promote someone until they are ready because a) if you promote someone who is not ready, someone else might come up but there are no places available, and b) I think that they then need to immediately start paying them more once promoted. So it makes sense if a place comes available, to wait until someone is ready to step up...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back