Delisted 12. Jesse Stringer (2010-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotta give a 21yo a second chance.
Hopefully, the swift and clear decision of the club leaders to exile him has had a massive impact on the kid.

Boos at the VFL GF will die away and be replaced by cheers if he starts making steps down the right path.

seems as though the fanfooty website has incorrect stats for Janathan.

(please don't report me for it hbk :()

Very disappointed to see JS elevated, in fact. I think it leaves a bad taste. Note the hushed applause at VFL presentation – I doubt all fans will be happy. We know clubs are good at solving ‘off-field indiscretions’ but I like the Cats’ rep for genuine concern about community problems. I believe that it was JS himself who came forward, so it was only ever a question of what would happen next. We would at least have liked an official update. The Cats will work it on two levels at once: 1. ultra keen to keep the good player 2. theme of care for the lost sheep = better kept an eye on here, where senior Cats have demonstrated social priorities... Not sure the two tunes can be sung in harmony, but that will be the approach. Even after all the joy, feeling let down.

This may be a sensitive matter for you, and to a degree I accept where you're coming from. I cannot, though, agree with your conclusions. Perhaps you are more privy to what occurred than me, but as far as I am aware...

1) he hasn't been charged with any criminal offence that would see him face a court of law.

2) I am not aware he is facing any civil actions from any party

3) I have not seen, in any detail, a commentary about what actually occurred. Only supposition and idle speculation about what MAY have occurred.

The lad was censured by the club in no uncertain terms. Banned from the AFL squad for the rest of the season, and only allowed to return to the VFL after Round 18. He could have been sacked but clearly the club did not think the "incident" warranted it. Given Geelong's "genuine concern about community problems" and their, no doubt, familiarity with what actually occurred, I think we should accept the clubs decision on the matter.Certainly the club's record on disciplining players' indiscretions and their active role in the community in dealing with community issues warrants a degree of trust in the clubs' actions.

I certainly don't believe we are entitled to "an official update" !

One thing I am certain of however.....JS would know exactly where he stands with respect to his future at the club should a matter of similar type arise again.

I think this makes Stringer a listed and contracted player.

Stringer at 21 has a lot of upside.

Think Hogan and Djerrkura. I really wanted those boys to kick on but in the end they had too many deficiencies.

Already Stringer is well ahead and will be a valuable addition - congrats.

Yes it does. He has signed a 2 year contract.

This may be a sensitive matter for you, and to a degree I accept where you're coming from. I cannot, though, agree with your conclusions. Perhaps you are more privy to what occurred than me, but as far as I am aware...

1) he hasn't been charged with any criminal offence that would see him face a court of law.

3) I have not seen, in any detail, a commentary about what actually occurred. Only supposition and idle speculation about what MAY have occurred.

The lad was censured by the club in no uncertain terms. Banned from the AFL squad for the rest of the season, and only allowed to return to the VFL after Round 18. He could have been sacked but clearly the club did not think the "incident" warranted it. Given Geelong's "genuine concern about community problems" and their, no doubt, familiarity with what actually occurred, I think we should accept the clubs decision on the matter.Certainly the club's record on disciplining players' indiscretions and their active role in the community in dealing with community issues warrants a degree of trust in the clubs' actions.

One thing I am certain of however.....JS would know exactly where he stands with respect to his future at the club should a matter of similar type arise again.
^^^ this!

Great post DTC. There was an issue. It was official. It was dealt with quickly an severely by the club - no cover up or washing of hands. There has been no criminal or civil follow up. I dont think that form the club position you can do much more based on the evidence we have.

This in no way excuses what happened, or condones it. Rather, I think it shows a bad decision and bad choices, a punishment for it and reinforces the opportunity to recover from a mistake.

As you say, I have no doubt he knows where he stands and what another, or any, error in judgement will bring.

Go Catters

Sheringham wont be going anywhere he is a first year rookie and will get a second year,

Correct. Because we have so many rookies and they're all doing good things, it might be easiest to group them together to see where we're at, with regards to getting down to the four category 'A's required.

Not category A

Mark Blicavs: Still learning the game; unlikely to get much interest from other clubs.

Ryan Bathie: Looks like a solid defender, good bet to make his senior debut this year and could be on other teams' radars, as he is big, athletic, mature and has been solid for two years in the VFL.

Category A entering second year

Cameron Eardley: Impressive in his first year, but unlikely to attract a lot of interest from other clubs at this stage.

Jackson Sheringham: 24 years old, managed a handful of AFL games and didn't look out of place. I'd be surprised if he went elsewhere, but you can't rule it out, if a team is looking for a hard in-and-under player.

Category A entering third year

Josh Walker: Big, athletic, plenty of scope for improvement and doesn't turn 20 until next month. Tailed off a bit with his AFL performances, after an extended look in the seniors, but the fact that he was bashing the door down for a game is cause for optimism in itself.

Jonathan Simpkin: Most other years, it would be a no-brainer to promote him. Got plenty of the ball at AFL level, won his second VFL B&F, kicks goals. Got the nod in the elimination final, ahead of a fair few bigger names and again was able to find a lot of the ball when he came on. You could definitely do worse than having him around 25-30 on your depth chart. Turns 25 at the end of this month, so he is at a very important time in his career. No doubt at all that there would be other clubs making a few calls if he is still on the rookie list for a third year (or is delisted).

George Burbury: Excellent all year in the VFL and has the potential to give the senior side something that they don't really have at the moment: that Rooke-esque kamikaze player in the forward line, totally committed to locking it in there at all costs. Reports are that other teams are very interested in him.

I would suggest that the likely scenario is Bathie, Blicavs, Eardley and Sheringham will all be retained; one of Walker/Simpkin/Burbury will be promoted; one will be retained as a rookie and we will lose one (probably Simpkin or Burbury). And it's a big possibility that we lose two of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done MC.

Hey I thought we had 6 cat A?

Why the hell are they culling the number of Rookie players?
That was meant to be there during the establishment of the new clubs. It's way too early to do this.

Simpkin I'd promote.
Sheringham I don't mind but he probably has to go.
Eardley can go
Burbury and Walker can stay as rookies. (even though I don't think Burbury will make it, but is 'different' to the usual Geelong player, so they might as well see what he can be)

Well done MC.

That was meant to be there during the establishment of the new clubs. It's way too early to do this.

Simpkin I'd promote.
Eardley can go
Burbury and Walker can stay as rookies. (even though I don't think Burbury will make it, but is 'different' to the usual Geelong player, so they might as well see what he can be)

Minus Stringer. So, if we promote one more, we could keep all the rest on the rookie list, but it's unlikely, as all of the rookies who have played senior footy, along with Burbury and to a lesser extent, Bathie would probably attract some interest from other clubs, who could offer them a senior spot.

Well done MC.

Simpkin I'd promote.
Eardley can go

Hey VC, just asking....

What did you see in Eardley that you didnt like as an 18 year old or is it you just havent seen him? Interested in your thoughts...

GO Catters

Hey VC, just asking....

What did you see in Eardley that you didnt like as an 18 year old or is it you just havent seen him? Interested in your thoughts...

GO Catters
I was a bigger fan of his in the GF.
I think he turns it over. But that can be fixed.

I just think that he is a body size that we may not need.
And I had to pick someone to drop out !

I was a bigger fan of his in the GF.
I think he turns it over. But that can be fixed.

I just think that he is a body size that we may not need.
And I had to pick someone to drop out !

Fair enough and good point. I was just a little enamoured by his attack on the ball and his willingess at 18 to get his head over it. Kind of things are harder to teach. Thanks

Go Catters

Fair enough and good point. I was just a little enamoured by his attack on the ball and his willingess at 18 to get his head over it. Kind of things are harder to teach.

he'll be playing seniors in no time at all ;)
Nicknamed the 'junkyard dog' he's got attitude and doesn't mind putting the body on the line to back what comes out of his mouth.
Takes a good contested mark for his size and has good burst of speed.
Josh Hunt, Corey Enright have only got another couple of seasons left so expect Eardley to stay put.

fair enough, too be honest i cant remember eardley turning it over that often.

plus he is only 19, give him a bit of time.
I haven't really got anything majorly against him. I was just trying to work out who we keep.
On reflection there may be a spot for him down back in 2 years.
As I fully expect Guthrie to be playing midfield by then. And we will have most likely lost J Hunt and Enright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back