Past #12: Lindsay Thomas - released by NM to pursue rookie list spot at PA - thx4 everything Lindsay

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's the incident, actually (tinyurl as BF breaks the time querystring)

http://tinyurl.com/nf78uud

You can hear Luke Darcy cheering on the 'Lindsay Thomas Rule'.

Razor Ray get's caught up in the BS and gives a free kick the other way.

Watching that again just shows how stupid it is. Both Thomas and the WC player (first in) go to ground to pick up the ball - because they're not allowed to dive on the ball now, and they're not allowed to go in lower and take out legs... and because he wins the ball and is tackled high a free kick is paid against him. They are giving out a license for players to hurt Thomas and it is f***ing stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching that again just shows how stupid it is. Both Thomas and the WC player (first in) go to ground to pick up the ball - because they're not allowed to dive on the ball now, and they're not allowed to go in lower and take out legs... and because he wins the ball and is tackled high a free kick is paid against him. They are giving out a license for players to hurt Thomas and it is f***ing stupid.
Nail, hammer, head.

Hey, I am after some help with something.

Why did Thomas get that holding the ball against him late in the third quarter last week?

My understanding is that they have brought in a rule that if you drive your head forward into a tackler you are deemed to have prior opportunity. If you then don't get rid of it then its holding the ball.

Last week Thomas was tackled, tried his shrug thing, which did lead the tacklers arm to slip up. Then Razor ray made a head shrugging motion and paid holding the ball.

My understanding is that they are two completely different things.

Am i taking crazy pills? Why has the media or North not made a fuss about this?

the one I needed help with was McGoven in the last quarter just after Boomer was a little rascal, McGoven takes the ball in our forward pocket, drops his head and then takes four steps with his head down until tackled where he pushed his head through the tackle, doesn't dispose of the football by either hand or foot, and it is a ball up? maybe someone smarter then me (chopchopdigdig) could create a link, and maybe someone dumber then me could explain the rule.

the one I needed help with was McGoven in the last quarter just after Boomer was a little rascal, McGoven takes the ball in our forward pocket, drops his head and then takes four steps with his head down until tackled where he pushed his head through the tackle, doesn't dispose of the football by either hand or foot, and it is a ball up? maybe someone smarter then me (chopchopdigdig) could create a link, and maybe someone dumber then me could explain the rule.

It's quite simple actually.

I don't have the video times handy, but you'll notice if you go back through the footage that McGoven is not Lindsay Thomas or another player that the umpires have deemed have had prior. Prior in this instance refers to "prior offenses against the umpiring fraternity, their sense of fair play and or not a media darling". In this instance the umpire has correctly adjudicated that the player (McGoven) is not actually Lindsay Thomas and has therefore (correctly) applied the Chris Judd / Naitanui / Abblett interpretation of the rule.

Clearly the umpire is correct in this instance as McGoven is obviously not LT. It's really quite black and white once you get your head around it.

I'm available to explain most of these rules to any other supporters that require education on the finer points of the modern game - Sydney fans who might be lurking this week for example who may need to know what shape the ball is.

It's quite simple actually.

I don't have the video times handy, but you'll notice if you go back through the footage that McGoven is not Lindsay Thomas or another player that the umpires have deemed have had prior. Prior in this instance refers to "prior offenses against the umpiring fraternity, their sense of fair play and or not a media darling". In this instance the umpire has correctly adjudicated that the player (McGoven) is not actually Lindsay Thomas and has therefore (correctly) applied the Chris Judd / Naitanui / Abblett interpretation of the rule.

Clearly the umpire is correct in this instance as McGoven is obviously not LT. It's really quite black and white once you get your head around it.

I'm available to explain most of these rules to any other supporters that require education on the finer points of the modern game - Sydney fans who might be lurking this week for example who may need to know what shape the ball is.
This is where the club should be sending a question to the AFL, asking to clarify the difference between two incidents. Umpires now almost feel they have to ignore high contact against LT, or else they will be branded as fools by the media. We need to change their thinking by saying that every single non decision on LT will be scrutinized as well, and that we won't just take this bullshit quietly.

Watched that whistle blowers on afl site not really expecting to see the lynzz free but still hoping. All they showed were the ducking and driving which has been around the last two seasons and nothing on the new interpretation of the lyndsay thomas rule.

Hey, I am after some help with something.

Why did Thomas get that holding the ball against him late in the third quarter last week?

My understanding is that they have brought in a rule that if you drive your head forward into a tackler you are deemed to have prior opportunity. If you then don't get rid of it then its holding the ball.

Last week Thomas was tackled, tried his shrug thing, which did lead the tacklers arm to slip up. Then Razor ray made a head shrugging motion and paid holding the ball.

My understanding is that they are two completely different things.

Am i taking crazy pills? Why has the media or North not made a fuss about this?

Eamiled teh AFLPA about it.

Nothing came of it.

He got pinged because it is the Lindsay Thomas rule.

For no other reason.

How does one aviod a tackler or lead with the head when they are on their knees.

Ridiculous.

Eamiled teh AFLPA about it.

Nothing came of it.

He got pinged because it is the Lindsay Thomas rule.

For no other reason.

How does one aviod a tackler or lead with the head when they are on their knees.

Ridiculous.

I think i figured it out.

The confusing part was razor ray making the ducking motion. But i think he was doing that as the reason he wasn't paying too high. Not why he paid holding the ball.

I think the free kick was holding the ball due to the umpire deeming that LT dived on the footy and it didn't come out. I can see why he thought that but disagree that it was correctly interpreted.

The whole too high thing had nothing to do with anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just read the thread title, isn't he now responsible for 3 rule changes:
The sliding rule
The dropping of the knees
The bump interpretation after he decked the Collingwood player(forget who it was).

Fixed!

He frustrated me today with some of his efforts (or lack of) but ******* hell..when he wasn't paid that free kick for high contact after he gathered a loose ball...criminal

He frustrated me today with some of his efforts (or lack of) but ******* hell..when he wasn't paid that free kick for high contact after he gathered a loose ball...criminal

They are now going out of their way to not pay him free kicks.

Christensen just did the same thing, ump couldn't blow his whistle quickly enough.

Whilst at it, maybe someone with the know how can start putting up video of all Lindsay's non free kicks since the introduction of this horse s**t rule including one's like the blatant holding the ball today. He will be lucky to get another free kick all year. Lets try and expose the agenda.

Huddo had a bit of a point in the third quarter where Lindsay won the contested footy near the middle, had players streaming forward but his first instinct was to look for contact. He had a chance to handball to Higgins but chose to get tackled and try for the free instead. Needs to get that sort of s**t out of his game because when he genuinely gets a free the umps turn a blind eye because if who he is.

Anyone remember him getting a GWS player (Marchbank I think) absolutely dead on holding the ball, and play on being called? First quarter.
yep....spat my chips out over that (literally)....
we as a club have to come out and ask/demand an explanation over some of the non frees lindsay is not getting.
this new ruling has gone way too far the other was, and has lindsay double guessing himself.

Whilst at it, maybe someone with the know how can start putting up video of all Lindsay's non free kicks since the introduction of this horse s**t rule including one's like the blatant holding the ball today. He will be lucky to get another free kick all year. Lets try and expose the agenda.

I'm hoping the club are doing just that mate, and posting it in to Campbell and his cohorts with a post-it note with "are you taking the f***ing piss?" attached to the DVD copy of said non calls.

It's outrageous and he does appear bereft of confidence as a result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back