12 team competition. 6 teams have to go, who would you boot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Then we'd get all fair free to air coverage and a fair share of Friday nights :D

Basically if the AFL did a NRL/Superleague thing, those 6 teams could make a glorified competition within themselves

Would be pretty boring a month in however
And there would be no one there.

Richmond can leave - they've been an embarrassment to the league for the last 30 years.
But surely we'd all miss that adorably raw child-like irrational charm they bring to the league.

The loud crowds at the 'G of Richmond, Collingwood, and Carlton (and to a lesser extent Essendon) were the reason I fell in love with footy in the mid 90's as a kid after my team had won its flags. I didn't know much about footy until around that time - fond memories of shouting like animals at a school family camp in Rockingham when West Coast won 1992, then 1994 (we had four small TV's in the centre of a group of about 130 people in the hall) - so I fell in love with our local passion and it was consolidated by the feeling I got while watching the great blockbusters at the 'G. Oh, and West Coast's rivalry with the Blues circa 1994-96.

I'm not sure anyone is taking this thread seriously as the hypothetical premise on which it is based it will never happen.

And there would be no one there.
So hypothetically

You kick out the minnows which you would probably want, Melbourne would be included in that lot.

What would the MCC say about that? You can beat that they'll take the MCG away from the AFLs hands and the AFL would have to use Etihad, which they will own in 9-10 years time anyway. Pies fans hate going to Etihad, not sure if Pies crowds would be that high themselves.

So hypothetically

You kick out the minnows which you would probably want, Melbourne would be included in that lot.

What would the MCC say about that? You can beat that they'll take the MCG away from the AFLs hands and the AFL would have to use Etihad, which they will own in 9-10 years time anyway. Pies fans hate going to Etihad, not sure if Pies crowds would be that high themselves.

Not sure the Boxing Day would service the debt on the last grand stand redevelopment though.

Remove Fremantle, GWS, and the Gold Coast.
Merge Essendon, North, St. Kilda and the Bulldogs. Send that team to Darwin. Call them the Northern Dog-Bombing Saints.

Keep in Victoria: Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton, Melbourne and Geelong.

Move the Hawks to Tasmania permanently.

WA, NSW, Victoria, Queensland, WA, Tasmania, and the NT are all represented in the national comp, and you lose the heavy Victorian concentration we currently have.

So hypothetically

Thankfully, it's not up to the MCC.

The MCG trust 'owns' the ground and would make such decisions, and they wont let football go anywhere.

Far more likely soccer has killed the league inside 30 years. The hundreds of millions wasted in expansion programs to a disinterested audience in GWS and GC has achieved bugger all compared to disenfranchising the heartcore audiences in the southern states. Afl should have built up the baracades and circled the wagons with that money and instead spent millions charging over the top into a futile western front that could see them lose the war. They are also fighting the wrong enemy. Like declaring war on Turkey (Rugby) without noticing the entire continent of Europe (soccer) is about to charge the eastern front. Stupid rich ****heads in AFL house
Kind of agree with this, and I think the answer is to develop from the ground up. Get kids into the sport. It's hard because most young Mums out there would prefer their kids to play a non-contact sport due to injuries associated with Aussie Rules. Plus, our national diet is low in regular vitamin C intake and hence our collagen (intergral to the structure of ligaments, bones, tendons etc.) is breaking down. Generalisation of course, and yes there would be differences in tissue quality conferred by genetics, but improve diet and improve physical outcomes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Relevant to dusty old campaigners like you, but this is 2015 and half of those VFL legacy clubs have either been moved or struggle for any type of traction.

No matter...You can go off and create your own league...I'm sure it'll be so much better than we horribly insular and parochial Vics have done, almost as well as when you open and welcoming WA & SA people have expanded beyond your state borders previously...Right?

Create another 6 teams have 2 divisions wth promotion relegation each year.
Player movement should be made easier so you have the best players in the top division.
Honestly though 18 teams is a very bad number and we can't do much about it. I understand expansion but it'll take a generation for things to be normal again and by the time we see the 'potential' benefits, I will no longer give a crap about the game anyway.
We would all be better off without GC/GWS.
Mergers also had to happen, not relocation just mergers.
Melbourne Hawks would have been awesome and so damn close and as a competition we have suffered for not having it.
Other mergers could have happened. Merge Fitzroy/Roos and have kept them in Vic. Fitzroy fans would have hung around.
Western Saints.
Did we really need Port Adelaide?

So now we should really get rid of GC/GWS, move the Hawks to tassie.
Merge Roos/Dees and Saints/Dogs.
14 teams, 26 rounds, shorter games.

Last edited:
You'd axe/demote Gold Coast, GWS and 4 Melbourne clubs.

Keeping two clubs in SA and two in WA is a no brainer. Sydney and Brisbane survive on potential lost TV rights. We don't need four clubs in the Northern states now, let alone going forward with a 12 team comp.

Four unlucky Vic clubs would get the chop.

If we were going to merge we wouldn't be heading to the western suburbs & we'd pick someone who wins flags!

As opposed to spoons?

But as others have stated, lame thread based on opinions which are like arseholes...

I'd prefer to see 21 sides where everyone plays each other once with two byes during the year. A new side in tassie, Adelaide and Perth. If Melbourne sides are still struggling have the likes of Footscray play half their games in Ballarat, north play half their games in Bendigo, and either Melbourne or st kilda playing a couple of games in Albury. I don't think expansion was necessarily a bad thing, gws wouldn't be an issue if the area actually supported the side. A new tassie team might be horrible but if they pack out bellerive and York park then people would see no issue.

If this occured i would give a 12 team competition 6 months before it fell over.

Tv Rights would considerably drop as would revenue from losing 3 games a round.

Might as well lock the gates at Etihad because whoever plays there will have the worst stadium deal of all time.

Boot the two newest clubs, plus Sydney and Brisbane as they are in non-traditional footy states :p Then boot two Melbourne clubs who, after a business investigation, are found to be most reliant on handouts.

Realistically, I could see the league trimming a couple of clubs one day but it would never volunteer to recieve about a third less revenue. And realistically you can't cull teams (and disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of supporters) unless they have completely flopped ala Fitzroy. The reality us that twelve teams *sounds good* as the talent will be spread less thinly and the fixture would be even, but the eighteen-team competition is here for the foreseeable future

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back