Retired #17: Adam Cooney - Announces retirement and has cleaned out locker

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
028809-05182554-5510-11e4-9218-e84af2eb3da1.jpg

Good pick up - lets hope he can remain injury free and we get a couple of good years out of him.
Will be great off half back and maybe a bit of time in the middle where required;-

Stats:
Age - 29, Games - 219, ave disposals - 21.8, goals - 0.8, tackles - 2.7, marks - 3.9 and
1 Brownlow medal !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I suppose we can hope that this turns out like the Burgoyne situation and his body is not as shot to pieces as it seems.

It's a gamble for a club with draft penalties we have received to use a second round pick.

Cooney was never skillfull and is not particularly versatile. His game was built on explosiveness in congestion which made him a seriously good player.

If he doesn't have that power I really don't know what the * we are doing. If he still has it, it's a good trade.

All I know is that on the off chance he touches the ball, can we all please not do the COOOOOOOOOOOOOON thing?

No racismo.

silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Great move imo. Good for marketing, Good for the development of the younger players, Could certainly prove to be a beast on the field. I reckon he will win us 1 or 2 games off his own boot next year and also. it's a big * you to the media with there "who would want to go to Essendon bullshit."

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Great move imo. Good for marketing, Good for the development of the younger players, Could certainly prove to be a beast on the field. I reckon he will win us 1 or 2 games off his own boot next year and also. it's a big **** you to the media with there "who would want to go to Essendon bullshit."

Oh but look at who went to Essendon. A player who couldn't get a game at GWS and a player who's knees are shot.

That'll be the media spin should anyone mention the lack of exodus.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd actually like to play him off half-forward. Likes a snag. Has a reasonable goal sense and we need half-forward flankers. He and Chappy could be useful there, and he could rotate through the midfield obviously.

Of course, this is all providing that his knees aren't like Ian "Twisties" Healy's fingers. Good luck to him, and ******* good luck to us.

I'm happy with this move. We've now been able to attract a quality footballer for the last 3 years in Goddard, Chapman and Cooney.

Back