Retired #17: Adam Cooney - Announces retirement and has cleaned out locker

Remove this Banner Ad

Hoping his many roles all lead to us having a hard running half forward line that links are fantastic back line and ball winning MIDs to goal kicking forwards.

Cooney, Winderlich and Chappy provide plenty of options up forward, though if the latter two are nursed through the season then we won't see all three together very often.

However, all three together with enough fitness for a few midfield minutes so that MIDs can rotate forward as well could be exciting. Alongside them will be Carlisle, Daniher and probably Ambrose. I'm not giving up on a forwardline coming together quickly for us this year.

Carlisle deep with Chappy. Daniher halfway between deep and high. Then Winderlich, Cooney and Ambrose pushing high up for the ball and putting lots of pressure on opposition half back line.

Not sure what to expect but needless to say I hope he splits them open.

When I first went to open training in November, he, along with Gwilt and Daniher were the three I was pleasantly surprised with.

Is a bloody beautiful kick of the ball.

When I first went to open training in November, he, along with Gwilt and Daniher were the three I was pleasantly surprised with.

So much needed by us forward of centre.

So much needed by us forward of centre.

He genuinely looks very good. Very trim and strong, quick and delivers the ball incredibly well. Picking him up is a risk, yes, but we paid pick 37 for him, and the potential benefit is significant.

It's weird how he has become such a great user of the footy over the past two years. In his prime it was his kicking that let him down imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked what i saw. In a game where we struggled to win inside ball he was going to be a bit limited but he showed some dash a few times.
Do not agree with yacco. We have enough inside mids. He needs to play the majority of his game as an outside finisher with pace that we do lack.

Liked what i saw. In a game where we struggled to win inside ball he was going to be a bit limited but he showed some dash a few times.
Do not agree with yacco. We have enough inside mids. He needs to play the majority of his game as an outside finisher with pace that we do lack.

I am not disputing that but his best footy is when he plays inside and out - And inside means second dibs.

There is an interesting psychological difference between building up your own player and trading one in... I don't know that any one here really appreciates fully that we have added an elite midfielder for the next two seasons at least (barring injury which is the same risk for any player). It's also true that we wont get the full 10+ years you hope for when you add an elite player to a team, but nevertheless its 2 whole years during which we are in something of a flag window!
In essence we are doubling down on a Zaka style player, who will probably get more touches while Cooney should get more goals.
Our midfield on paper has become something fairly extraordinary. Two arguably top 10 midfielders in Watson and Heppell. Completely mature class and character coming from BJ, Chappy and Cooney. Top level outside run coming from Zaka, Stanton and Colyer. Leaving only Myers who is still building and adds another facet to the mix with that left foot.
It's always true that things can go wrong and of course there is no denying that we could run into trouble with the older guys getting injury prone or simpy slowing down. But if they don't? If Myers, Colyer and Zaka consolidate and build form? There is an outside chance that we could have as good a midfield as anyone in the comp this year.
(I do love to dream :rolleyes:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back