Past Chris Yarran

Remove this Banner Ad

Could only imagine what the next headline will be after we give up Yarran for pick 30 and he makes all Australian at Richmond next year.

Could only imagine what the next headline will be after we give up Yarran for pick 30 and he makes all Australian at Richmond next year.

We'd have endless articles about him, referring to Eddie, Jeffy, Waite, Kennedy etc, just reiterating how we have made another mistake. This despite the media taking the opposing view to us in terms of value.

I would be happy to trade Yarran and pick 19 for Richmond's first pick which I think is 12.

This would surely satisfy the tigers as they get Yarran and a top 20 pick.

We move on a guy who has no interest being at our club and move 7 spots up the draft.

Given we are being told its a shallow draft 7 spots is massive and I think makes this deal worth it.

What I find fascinating is whenever one of our players are up for trades, it is Carlton fans who are delusional.

Sam Jacobs is a gun ruckman - delusional, worth nothing - We got pick 30 something for one of the best in the comp
Eddie Betts is the best small forward in the comp - delusional - Got nothing - AA
Jarrad Waite is not finished and has a lot to offer - delusional - Got nothing - Has basically dragged North to Prelims
Jeremy Laidler is a very good player however Malthouse has it in for him - delusional - Got nothing - Best 22 for a top team and played in GF
Mitch Robinson is definitely worth a second rounder - delusional - Got nothing, wins Lions B&F
Jeffery Garlett has personal issues, is worth second rounder - delusional - Got nothing, one of only a couple of players to kick a goal every match
Josh Kennedy can become one of the best CHF in the comp - delusional - Through in two other high picks and is not the premier CHF in the comp

Then there is Grigg who we also got shafted on.

Yet when it comes to opposition players, we are underrating them and are worth a lot more, like Chris Johnson, like Robbie Warnock, like Andrew Collins, like Brock McLean, like Liam Jones, like Jason Tutt.... we are all so delusional.

I truly hope that Richmond do offer only a second rounder for him, because it would be easy to say no and we keep him and hope for a change in mood like Walker and T-birb.

I would be happy to trade Yarran and pick 19 for Richmond's first pick which I think is 12.

We move on a guy who has no interest being at our club and move 7 spots up the draft.

Given we are being told its a shallow draft 7 spots is massive and I think makes this deal worth it.
Yarran is worth pick 12 alone. Why have everyone forgotten how good of a player he is?

Take a look at the 2008 draft. Seemingly a stronger field than this year. Where do you rate Yarran? I have him at 13-15. That is what I rate his trade value. I'm interested to see what others realistically rate him from that draft year.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
What I find fascinating is whenever one of our players are up for trades, it is Carlton fans who are delusional.

Sam Jacobs is a gun ruckman - delusional, worth nothing - We got pick 30 something for one of the best in the comp
Eddie Betts is the best small forward in the comp - delusional - Got nothing - AA
Jarrad Waite is not finished and has a lot to offer - delusional - Got nothing - Has basically dragged North to Prelims
Jeremy Laidler is a very good player however Malthouse has it in for him - delusional - Got nothing - Best 22 for a top team and played in GF
Mitch Robinson is definitely worth a second rounder - delusional - Got nothing, wins Lions B&F
Jeffery Garlett has personal issues, is worth second rounder - delusional - Got nothing, one of only a couple of players to kick a goal every match
Josh Kennedy can become one of the best CHF in the comp - delusional - Through in two other high picks and is not the premier CHF in the comp

Yet when it comes to opposition players, we are underrating them and are worth a lot more, like Chris Johnson, like Robbie Warnock, like Andrew Collins, like Brock McLean, like Liam Jones, like Jason Tutt.... we are all so delusional.

I truly hope that Richmond do offer only a second rounder for him, because it would be easy to say no and we keep him and hope for a change in mood like Walker and T-birb.

Most accurate assessment I have seen on bigfooty. Needs its own thread on the main board.

Yarran is worth pick 12 alone. Why have everyone forgotten how good of a player he is?

I haven't forgotten that but he doesn't want to be at our club and if no other club offers us a first round pick we might need to sweeten the deal.

I just want to maximise draft picks as high up as possible.

Can't like this post enough GB! :thumbsu:

Richmond have said they would not give up their first round pick or Lennon for Yarran, and say that a second round pick is on offer. I think we should just say * off he's contracted. Why should we give up two quality commodities in pick 19 and Yarran for pick 12 to a bunch of scumbags like Richmond.

I'd rather keep #19 and trade Yarran to another club for a late round 1 pick which is what Yarran is worth, despite what any of the ******** journos say.

Because he acted like a petulant flog for most of the season... so whilst he is worth a pick around 12, we won't get a pick around 12. So we have a decision to make. Keep him on the list for 12 months and hope he turns it around, then go the FA compensation OR trade him for a pick between 20 and 30 and trust SOS to find some wheat amongst the chaff.. Touk Miller, Braydon Maynard, went in this range and would LOVE someone in that mould over Yarran anyday .

Because he acted like a petulant flog for most of the season... so whilst he is worth a pick around 12, we won't get a pick around 12. So we have a decision to make. Keep him on the list for 12 months and hope he turns it around, then go the FA compensation OR trade him for a pick between 20 and 30 and trust SOS to find some wheat amongst the chaff.. Touk Miller, Braydon Maynard, went in this range and would LOVE someone in that mould over Yarran anyday .

Maynard over Yarran?

That's the equivalent of Casboult over Franklin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, absolutely he is worth pick 12. Considering where we are likely to finish next year even a band 3 next year will net us a pretty decent pick, we would be silly to discard him for anything less than a first rounder

Whilst i respect your opinion, you cant compare stats of a 120 game player to a kid in his first season. I could post Touk Miller's stats and they would surpass Yarran so stats will only tell the partial picture and can be manipulated to suit any argument. I think you may be missing my point regardless as i was trying to show the type of player we could draft in the 25-30 range and my argument was that I'd take a kid showing heart, attitude, respect for his teammates and jumper over a petulant (and highly talented) sook any day of the week.
If Yarran displayed these above-mentioned positive attributes then of course we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Whilst i respect your opinion, you cant compare stats of a 120 game player to a kid in his first season. I could post Touk Miller's stats and they would surpass Yarran so stats will only tell the partial picture and can be manipulated to suit any argument. I think you may be missing my point regardless as i was trying to show the type of player we could draft in the 25-30 range and my argument was that I'd take a kid showing heart, attitude, respect for his teammates and jumper over a petulant (and highly talented) sook any day of the week.
If Yarran displayed these above-mentioned positive attributes then of course we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Those stats were highlighted as yarran just had a season which we will never likely see again, yet he still outperformed a player you would like in your team.

And to quote, you said Maynard over Yarran this year. Age is irrelevant

Last edited:
if we don't something decent lachie henderson and chris yarran, after losing jarrad waite, eddie betts, mitch robinson, jeff garlett for nothing( iknow they were delisted but it still sucks), i wil be so disillusioned i might just have to jump off the carlton ship, it hurts me to say that after supporting for so many years, but how much more can we bare? After being down the bottom for so long, them having one of my favorite all time players brett ratten shafted for that dickhead mick malthouse, i think will be so mentally destroyed there will be no coming back.

Those stats were highlighted as yarran just had a season which we will never likely see again, yet he still outperformed a player you would like in your team and would likely cost us a second rounder.

Your missing the point dude.. i didnt say i want Maynard, i highlighted that at the 25-30 range, if thats what we end up getting for Yarran or Henderson or Bell or whoever, there is talent available.
And back to your point, i hope we never see Yarran have a season like that again. Coz the quicker his lazy, petulant arse leaves the place the better.

Players like Maynard are a dime a dozen

Yarran performing to his full ability would be a top 5 player at Carlton. The problem is that the flog cracked the shits and played crap this season (when he should be entering the peak period of his career) so his value is lowered. That said he is contracted and 9thmond have been in his ear for most of the season encouraging him to leave so I say screw them both, if we don't get a decent trade then he EARNS a spot in out starting 22 next year or rots in the vfl reserves for the year. Sure we will get jack all for him but he will also minimize his value if he doesn't see any real football for 2 years in back row, in other words it would be in his best interest to pull his finger out and perform next year (boosting his trade value) otherwise he may have nowhere to go in 2017 .....

Those stats were highlighted as yarran just had a season which we will never likely see again, yet he still outperformed a player you would like in your team and would likely cost us a second rounder.

Players like Maynard are a dime a dozen

I'd certainly hope Yarran on an off day would outperform a kid with less than 10 games to his name...

Apples and oranges mate. They play different positions and roles and have vastly different levels of experience.

You're fixating on one player, when the point being made is that Yarran out for a hard-working young kid with a team-first attitude would be a good result. Replace Maynard with Parker in his first season. "s**t Yarran is better than this young kid that you seem to think will be better than him." Fast-forward a few years and Parker is one of the most highly-rated mids in the competition.

I want a first rounder for Yarran - he's worth it, and I want our recruiters to have the best possible chance of getting a quality player. That's not to say that we wouldn't get a quality player at 25 or 30 though.

I get your rationale, but this kind of thinking is how we lose players of high value for next to nothing.
Betts played poorly when he wanted out, so did Robinson, so did Garlett, so did Henderson and look at them now.

What's going to happen next year when another gun player plays average when he wants out? Do we just just keep feeding all the other clubs talent for picks 25-35? We may pluck 1 or 2 Yarran level talents but that's not being realistic.

Last edited:
Yarran performing to his full ability would be a top 5 player at Carlton. The problem is that the flog cracked the shits and played crap this season (when he should be entering the peak period of his career) so his value is lowered. That said he is contracted and 9thmond have been in his ear for most of the season encouraging him to leave so I say screw them both, if we don't get a decent trade then he EARNS a spot in out starting 22 next year or rots in the vfl reserves for the year. Sure we will get jack all for him but he will also minimize his value if he doesn't see any real football for 2 years in back row, in other words it would be in his best interest to pull his finger out and perform next year (boosting his trade value) otherwise he may have nowhere to go in 2017 .....

This.

In the premier league, they have the quaint saying that another club has "unsettled" the player.

Don't do them any favours. None.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back