Past Chris Yarran

Remove this Banner Ad

Very good move by Ratten to get him behind the play.

I was always stunned by the violent reactions to his drafting in light of Rich's early success.

Yarran is as skilful, quick and agile a player as there is in the AFL. He was easily the most dangerous player on the ground yesteday because despite the pressure we put on (which I expected to get the better of him) he was still able to set up many dangerous drives into your forward line.

It was wonderful to watch this boy turn it on (and to see him and Jetta go head to head) because he did look like someone who was going to be crushed by expectations.

Very good move by Ratten to get him behind the play.

I was always stunned by the violent reactions to his drafting in light of Rich's early success.

Yarran is as skilful, quick and agile a player as there is in the AFL. He was easily the most dangerous player on the ground yesteday because despite the pressure we put on (which I expected to get the better of him) he was still able to set up many dangerous drives into your forward line.

It was wonderful to watch this boy turn it on (and to see him and Jetta go head to head) because he did look like someone who was going to be crushed by expectations.

I think you raise a very good point in regards to the pressure put on him. I am the first to admit that I worried how he would handle the pressure of having to play a defensive role first and an attacking role second, but he has proven everyone wrong. His defensive game is looking solid already, and I can only see it getting better as time goes on.

As for those who hated on Yarran when we drafted him and wanted Rich, I can't really comment on those people because I wasn't around on this site then. All I will say though is that as time goes on, I am finding it more and more difficult to doubt our recruiting staff. Every year they seem to pick some guys that other teams skipped, but then they turn out to be quality players.

Scintillating game bar Monfries outmarking him and the turnover from a kick in that handed a goal to Jetta IIRC. Should have gone to Walker who was free in the pocket. Knew that shot was home before it left the boot.

Played a fantastic game but that kick-in was mind-boggling. I've got no idea why he kicked it to Garlett v NLM (I think) with two other EFC players nearby??

Originally posted by TNBT
As for those who hated on Yarran when we drafted him and wanted Rich, I can't really comment on those people because I wasn't around on this site then. All I will say though is that as time goes on, I am finding it more and more difficult to doubt our recruiting staff. Every year they seem to pick some guys that other teams skipped, but then they turn out to be quality players.

Very true, we could have used some more KPP

Speaking of players other clubs skipped Mitch Robinson

I say this with respect to you guys, but Yarran is probably one of the last guys I'm worried about this week.
Yeah fair enough, sounds a lot like Dempsey for us.
I won't make any comments on the overall game, but credit where it's due with Yarran.

Still not convinced he'll be "the next big thing" as stated on the polls board, or even a star, but he was quite good on the weekend with his offence.

Had him as your clear best. :thumbsu:

masterstroke of a move by ratts.

Not a masterstroke at all. Rather a logical decision to try him in different positions - there are after all only three different positions he can play - forward, middle or back.

If Ratten receives all this praise for deciding to play a player in defence, surely he has to also take responsibility for:

- A non-functioning forward line.
- Players 'not coming to play' (see first quarter).

I think Yarran's best position is in the midfield - imagine him breaking away at stoppages. Now if he went in there and did a good job, is it a 'masterstroke' on my behalf? or just a logical move to try him there?

Full credit goes to the recruiters for picking this kid over Rich who most recruiters had ahead of him.

Yarran will be an absolute star, but giving Ratten the credit for it... now I have seen it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a masterstroke at all. Rather a logical decision to try him in different positions - there are after all only three different positions he can play - forward, middle or back.

If Ratten receives all this praise for deciding to play a player in defence, surely he has to also take responsibility for:

- A non-functioning forward line.
- Players 'not coming to play' (see first quarter).

I think Yarran's best position is in the midfield - imagine him breaking away at stoppages. Now if he went in there and did a good job, is it a 'masterstroke' on my behalf? or just a logical move to try him there?

Full credit goes to the recruiters for picking this kid over Rich who most recruiters had ahead of him.

Yarran will be an absolute star, but giving Ratten the credit for it... now I have seen it all.

It was Ratts call picking up Yarran before Rich in the draft. So some credit where its due. I recall others gave him a hard time about it, with in the club.

For that I give you credit Ratts :thumbsu: but the forward line you put out there on Saturday :thumbsdown:

Says who?

If Ratten is able to overrule our recruiters then the club needs a review from top to bottom starting immediately.

Fair enough (though I doubt reasonable debate from opposition supporters is discouraged).

No problem if others don't rate him as highly as Carlton supporters, but criticizing his attitude seems to indicate more a cheap shot than a difference of opinion.

Although shy, his attitude has never come across as poor, and the documentary 'three boys dreaming' is a great contrast in how attitude plays as big a part in individual success as talent.

If Yarran had a poor attitude, he wouldn't have come close to the big league.

Says who?

If Ratten is able to overrule our recruiters then the club needs a review from top to bottom starting immediately.

Let me explain to you how it works.

The recruiters go out and scout around for the best players.
They tell the coaching Panel who is best mids, forwards, backs, left footers, or right footers.

From there its up to the coaching panel not the recruiters.

And guess who heads the coaching panel. OOPS :):) Its Ratts.

The coach has the final say. :)

They tell the coaching Panel who is best mids, forwards, backs, left footers, or right footers.

Pretty sure that's not how it works.

eb2f4f59-fec9-47da-ac38-4b7b2f0a1a36.jpg

Unless they're hard to split and we need to draft a KPP, mid, ruck, etc., it's our recruiters who have the final say.

Carlton always goes for the best available with the earliest picks.

The thing that i like best about Yarran is the fact that he gets the ball deep in defence and at no moment do i ever get anxious. I have faith in his pace and skills to navigate out of the situation, and more often than not he does. Its quite unusual for our backline unfortunately, and even more unusual for such a young player. Good times are head.

Was absolutely fantastic on the weekend, keep it up mate.

Unless they're hard to split and we need to draft a KPP, mid, ruck, etc., it's our recruiters who have the final say.

No you fail

If you can get your hands on the Carlton Sydney game at Etihad a couple of years ago you will hear the comentators saying

RATT'S PUT HIS HEAD ON THE LINE WITH CARLTON PICKING YARRAN BEFORE RICH. Ater he kicked the goal they also said he repayed Ratts for the faith he had in him.

I remember all the hoo haa over it. Saw an interview with Ratts and how he said he could see Yarrans potential. I thought everyone on here knew it was Ratts.

General, from what I've just read you should change your name to private.

You've proven to everyone that you got no idea about what goes on at a football club.
Also you should be ashamed that blue_chick know's more about footy than you do.
I hope your not serious saying the coach has not got the final say. :eek:

Of course the coach can influence the recruiters.
Take last years draft for example.
We thought we needed talls and took 3 in a row....
Not sure they were the best players available.

And yes Ratts was in love with Yarran before the draft... but maybe Yarran was still ranked next to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back