Past Chris Yarran

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiter has the final say on most occasions.

Why would Carlton give away their first draft pick to Melbourne for Brock.
Was that the Recruiter's decision or Ratt's decision.

Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. The coach has more to lose than the Recruiters, so he selects the players he needs. The same way Malthouse gave away picks to get Tarrant.

The coach gets the final say :thumbsu:

The recruiters job is to let the coaches know whats out there end of story.

Why would Carlton give away their first draft pick to Melbourne for Brock.
Was that the Recruiter's decision or Ratt's decision.

Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. The coach has more to lose than the Recruiters, so he selects the players he needs. The same way Malthouse gave away picks to get Tarrant.

The coach gets the final say :thumbsu:

The recruiters job is to let the coaches know whats out there end of story.

So you think the club is pretty much run like a dictatorship? Cool story.

Why the hell are they called recruiters if the coach is the one who makes the decisions? What you're describing is a scout.

The coach and the recruitment department all work together to work out where they want to take the club and i can guarantee the coach doesn't always get exactly what he wants.

Step up, Splendini. Put this baby to bed please.

I suspect the answer is a bit of both, depending on the context. Not a great secret the coach was a fan of yarran but he'd probably be briefed on a third rounder. I'm a big fan of deference to expertise in organizations.....that is decisions are left to those with the relevant expertise to make them....not to say the coach doesn't have some input.

Cat fight!

popcorn.jpg

I suspect the answer is a bit of both, depending on the context. Not a great secret the coach was a fan of yarran but he'd probably be briefed on a third rounder. I'm a big fan of deference to expertise in organizations.....that is decisions are left to those with the relevant expertise to make them....not to say the coach doesn't have some input.

Got to be this :thumbsu::thumbsu:.

Probably over 90% in the recruiters corner except for mature age recruits (mcleans) and needs based requirements like Yazzle Dazzle and Watson!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you think the club is pretty much run like a dictatorship? Cool story.

Why the hell are they called recruiters if the coach is the one who makes the decisions? What you're describing is a scout.

The coach and the recruitment department all work together to work out where they want to take the club and i can guarantee the coach doesn't always get exactly what he wants.
geez. does that mean the afl is notrun like a dictatorship Cooler story. We all know they work together,but at the end of the day.the coach decides what the team needs.Are you telling me,sheeds,malthouse and co. let the recruiters decide what players are needed at their clubs.Please how thick are you.

geez. does that mean the afl is notrun like a dictatorship Cooler story. We all know they work together,but at the end of the day.the coach decides what the team needs.Are you telling me,sheeds,malthouse and co. let the recruiters decide what players are needed at their clubs.Please how thick are you.

Do you really think Carlton would have drafted all those mids in a row at the distinct instruction of Ratten even though we were screaming out for talls for so long? Ratten would have killed to get some decent tall timber into the club, but the recruiters would have steered well away from that if there just wasn't the quality we needed around. There is a far higher percentage of work and decision making done by the recruiting department than you seem to think. Of course the coach has his input and wants, but its far more of a collaboration than a coaches final decision.

Actually... in a way, you are right... the coach determines what type of players are needed at the club. i.e. Ratts says we need some tall defender and forward type players. The recruiters go through their lists of players that matches the requirements. The recruiters comes back to Ratts with their list of players and says this is who we are going to choose and these are the picks where we would like to pick them.

Then the recruiters tell the coach... this is our list of second options if those players are not around at our picks.

They tell the coach which players they want to recruit to the club. The coach hasnt been studying the scouting reports on those players for the last 3 years or so. The recruiters have and they continue to right up until the draft that those players are eligible to enter.

The coach then goes through the list of potential recruits and studies all the summary reports for those guys that the recruiters have gathered. He might say that he doesnt want a particular player, but on the whole the recruiters have usually been watching these guys for 2-3 years during junior football and they are usually right about the players they want to pick.

Thats about it to the recruiting of potential players.

And now a little something for those people too stupid to even understand the concept.

The coach gives the recruiters a wish list of player types. The recruiters recruit the players who match best to the wish list.

And now something even easier for Bluekarma and Blue_thick to understand

The coach doesnt actually hand pick the players... the recruiters do

The last time a coach actually had a hand in picking a player at Carlton was when Pagan had his boy Mick Martyn recruited 'ostensibly' to be our FB for a couple of years while Luke Livingston developed. We all know how that ended up... Mick played out his 13 required games to reach 300 games and promptly retired after dropping Livo in it for 9 games that year and consequently cost us a talented tall forward.

After that, the Carlton board removed Pagan's rights to hand pick players to the club.

And now I ask you the same question you asked someone who actually knows a lot about the TAC and the young players coming through... please how thick are you?

Actually... in a way, you are right... the coach determines what type of players are needed at the club. i.e. Ratts says we need some tall defender and forward type players. The recruiters go through their lists of players that matches the requirements. The recruiters comes back to Ratts with their list of players and says this is who we are going to choose and these are the picks where we would like to pick them.

Then the recruiters tell the coach... this is our list of second options if those players are not around at our picks.

They tell the coach which players they want to recruit to the club. The coach hasnt been studying the scouting reports on those players for the last 3 years or so. The recruiters have and they continue to right up until the draft that those players are eligible to enter.

The coach then goes through the list of potential recruits and studies all the summary reports for those guys that the recruiters have gathered. He might say that he doesnt want a particular player, but on the whole the recruiters have usually been watching these guys for 2-3 years during junior football and they are usually right about the players they want to pick.

Thats about it to the recruiting of potential players.

And now a little something for those people too stupid to even understand the concept.

The coach gives the recruiters a wish list of player types. The recruiters recruit the players who match best to the wish list.

And now something even easier for Bluekarma and Blue_thick to understand

The coach doesnt actually hand pick the players... the recruiters do

The last time a coach actually had a hand in picking a player at Carlton was when Pagan had his boy Mick Martyn recruited 'ostensibly' to be our FB for a couple of years while Luke Livingston developed. We all know how that ended up... Mick played out his 13 required games to reach 300 games and promptly retired after dropping Livo in it for 9 games that year and consequently cost us a talented tall forward.

After that, the Carlton board removed Pagan's rights to hand pick players to the club.

And now I ask you the same question you asked someone who actually knows a lot about the TAC and the young players coming through... please how thick are you?
Another one.You just said the same thing I said but for some reason you decided to go the long way about it.THE COACH DECIDES WHAT TYPE OF PLAYERS HE WANTS ON HIS LIST.If the coach diagrees with a player the recruiterswould like to select,I can assure you that player will not be at the club.ALSO IF HE LIKES A CERTAIN PLAYER I ASSURE YOU AGAIN THAT PLAYER WILL BE AT THE CLUB. So do me afavour and grow up.

How good were Yarran's handpasses on his wrong side after he dummied Hurley and started that run?

Two in a row.

I was praying for a third.

:cool:
Another one.You just said the same thing I said but for some reason you decided to go the long way about it.THE COACH DECIDES WHAT TYPE OF PLAYERS HE WANTS ON HIS LIST.If the coach diagrees with a player the recruiterswould like to select,I can assure you that player will not be at the club.ALSO IF HE LIKES A CERTAIN PLAYER I ASSURE YOU AGAIN THAT PLAYER WILL BE AT THE CLUB. So do me afavour and grow up.
Hughes has the final say. As Sublime noted, Ratten would have had us go tall if he was in charge of recruiting. The coach has too much on his plate to have the final say on players he wouldn't know back to front like our scouts. Do us a favour and stop being so condescending. I CAN USE CAPS LOCK TOO.

How good is Yarran when you think he is about to get nailed and all of a sudden he just weaves his way past the tackle, or just changes gear. Some of his work is just magic, throw in a dash of class and you have a future star.

The coach may want tall, but you're playing with fire if the only tall is ranked 30 in ability and you have a top 15 pick. That's what the recruiters get paid big bucks for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back