Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Ps judging by Claytons' responses to the Facebook posts about him , it looks like he's across all the social media platforms and i reckon he just might read bigfooty too...

so if you're reading this Clay, we love you, you big red fire engine. Welcome aboard son.

I'm now patiently waiting for a new member to the Bigfooty Melbourne boards with a curious amount of inside information about the club and the user name BigRedFireEngine ...

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
The problem with recruiting redheads is they're notoriously difficult to get rid of. Bad enough delisting a normal player who has tried his guts out but failed to make the grade; worse still with a ranga because you know the poor hapless bloke has been consigned to a life of stacking shelves or cleaning out septic tanks.

The problem with recruiting redheads is they're notoriously difficult to get rid of. Bad enough delisting a normal player who has tried his guts out but failed to make the grade; worse still with a ranga because you know the poor hapless bloke has been consigned to a life of stacking shelves or cleaning out septic tanks.
His ranganess certainly made him easier to spot in the highlights package.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
His ranganess certainly made him easier to spot in the highlights package.
I like that bit. You can pick him out at a fair distance so don't have to whiplash check the screen, which will take some of the joy out of those matches deep into the finals

Our club has a long proud history of sacking redheads

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Oi. What's wrong with Clayton as a first name? Wash your mouth out

And everyone talking about those bounces. Did they work? I'd rather a player with a horrible bouncing action that works than a silky bouncing action that looks great but doesn't. Watching those bounces as an MSDS sufferer, I was 100% expecting them to end in Spencer-esque capers, which you would probably expect from more than 1 MFC player (TMac, anyone?) but they didn't. They went straight back into his grasp. All 3...

Those bounces won't work at afl level
I dunno if he was trying his opposite hand but he had to slow down to get the bounce an if you get tackled while bouncing it's automatic holding the ball

He looked like a basketballer trying it for the first time

Also, everyone is commenting on the infamous 3 terrible bounces. Haven't heard mention of the perfect bounce later on in the video. :drunk:

Never in his AFL career will he ever get that much time and space to run with the ball. The bounces aren't impressive, it's his intent in every situation (in close or in space) to take the game on. Brings his teammates into the contest too.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Whats more important is we have another genuinenly tough kid who will put his hand up in round 1 for selection

Young guns in Brayshaw, Viney, Tyson with unknown potential of Petracca, Trenners and Oliver
Some solid back up talent in Vanders, Melksham, Bugg and Watts to go with the senior talent of Vince and Jones

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Whats more important is we have another genuinenly tough kid who will put his hand up in round 1 for selection

Young guns in Brayshaw, Viney, Tyson with unknown potential of Petracca, Trenners and Oliver
Some solid back up talent in Vanders, Melksham, Bugg and Watts to go with the senior talent of Vince and Jones

Yep. I think the biggest improvement in 2016 is when we go to the VFL and look at our depth, it is going to be made up of Kennedy/Watts/ANB/Stretch/JKH/Oliver/Trengove/Weideman, rather than Terlich/M Jones/Riley/Bail etc (I know Terlich and M Jones are still there but they won't play 5 games between them in 2016). It isn't so obvious as a point of improvement but I'm confident we'll see the benefits on the field when we get a couple injuries.

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
Those bounces won't work at afl level
I dunno if he was trying his opposite hand but he had to slow down to get the bounce an if you get tackled while bouncing it's automatic holding the ball

He looked like a basketballer trying it for the first time
Point is, they are no worse than TMac's bounces, that don't work half the time..

Back