Past #13. Leigh Adams - coached SthCroydon to '17 flag - 18-19 COburg VFL coach

Remove this Banner Ad

#13 Leigh Adams

ADAMS%20Leigh.png

Games: 22
Goals: 9

Summary:
It has been a rapid fall from grace for a man who finished third and fourth in the 2010 and 2011 Syd Barker Medals respectively, as a degenerative shoulder issue, among other knocks and bruises, have reduced him to a shell of the player he threatened to become. A favourite of the coaching staff, Adams started the year as the substitute, racking up 17 possessions and taking 10 marks in just over a quarter of footy against Essendon. A week later, he was a solid contributor against the Western Bulldogs, and kicked arguably the goal of the day late in the match from the boundary line to go with his 19 disposals and five tackles. Against Port Adelaide, Adams again provided great opposition pressure, laying nine tackles from 16 touches and four marks. A week later against Sydney, 'Patch' played arguably the best game of his season, picking up 29 possessions, taking five marks, laying seven tackles and kicking a goal.

He managed two games within three weeks where he collected 21 disposals and kicked two goals, but as the season progressed into the second half, his output dropped greatly. Save for a 22 possession effort against GWS and 18 touches against Hawthorn, Adams averaged 10 disposals from his final 10 games, affected by starting with the green vest. There were several calls for him to be dropped, however he retained his spot.

Patch looked set to play the first final of his career (he missed in 2012), however unfortunately he suffered a concussion against Melbourne in the final round of the season, ruling him out of the Elimination Final against Essendon. With the solid form of Kayne Turner and Brent Harvey to still come into the side, Adams could not earn a recall against Geelong as he still suffered from the effects of the head knock. Again, he didn't feature in the Preliminary Final against Sydney.

This was an extremely disappointing end for a player who deserves to play September football. Adams will be 27 by the time next season starts, and with over 100 games of experience to his name, a faultless pre-season is needed for him to retain his position in the best 22, and he looms as a possible replacement for the void left by the wantaway Levi Greenwood.

Coming off a limited pre-season, Adams nevertheless started the home and away season extremely well.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-10-19/2014-review-leigh-adams

Just days after re-signing key-defender Lachlan Hansen, North Melbourne has tied up another crucial player withLeigh Adams agreeing to a new deal.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-05-08/adams-secures-his-patch

The game wasn't pretty but the outcome was a welcome one for North with several key players taking another significant step toward a return to full fitness.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-03-02/edging-closer-and-closer

191014_adams_ih.jpg

320661-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

327613-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

resize

321810-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

I've got a lot of time for Patch. When those shoulders or knees aren't bothering he is valuable player who puts his head over the ball, tackles hard and works his bum off for the jumper and team. Far from a plodder.

I've got a lot of time for Patch. When those shoulders or knees aren't bothering he is valuable player who puts his head over the ball, tackles hard and works his bum off for the jumper and team. Far from a plodder.

Same here and what turned out to be virtually his final attack on the pill, which saw him hurt, illustrated why. Needs full fitness to have a decent crack at it or may struggle.

Last edited:
That article described Patch as having a "degenerative shoulder issue", I've never heard of such a thing. Have heard of it with knees but not shoulders, surely if his shoulder is getting slowly worse he's in all sorts of trouble. Overhead marking, tackling and bumping are always going to be key for a small forward without great leg speed. The recruitment of Higgins surely isn't a great sign for Patch. This could of course mean that the recruitment of Higgins costs us Greenwood AND hastens the exit if Patch Adams. Higgins is SURELY the new whipping boy! ;)

Would die for the blue and white.

Something we can't say for money in the bank greenbacks.

Had a tough time of it this year but * he's as hard as a cuts skull.

Soft spot for the bloke and want to see him do well, don't understand all this get him off the list. When the bloke smashes an opponent in the square and kicks a goal how can you not love that!

I've got a lot of time for him too, has an excellent football brain, unfortunately injuries have really cruelled his effectiveness in the past couple of seasons.

* you Judd you dirty campaigner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That article described Patch as having a "degenerative shoulder issue", I've never heard of such a thing.

Nor have I. Afaik virtually all shoulder issues are rectifiable, if time permits, and even arthritis (which can be degenerative) can be cut out, as was part of my second shoulder reco.

You wouldnt find a NM fan who doesnt love the way Patch goes about it but even when he is up and about he doesnt hurt teams enough.

Needs to improve his set shots and have more defensive pressure than last seson.

At the moment at best he might get sub position or just be backup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-01-14/adams-aims-for-purple-patch

That headline ...

his form was affected by a delayed pre-season and a battle with knee soreness.

"I had a knee scope at the end of last year and I didn't end up running until about this time (mid-January).

Another knee scope at the end of 2014 has meant Adams has been on a modified training program, but he said he's confident of getting back to his best.

Competition for spots is going to be tough this year. The addition of Shaun Higgins, potentially in attack, as well as the emergence of Kayne Turner, means positions are at a premium. Add rookie Robin Nahas in the mix and North boasts plenty of depth.

Adams had reason to celebrate over Christmas, marrying his partner Cassie in the Yarra Valley.

"We had a fantastic time at the wedding, and spent a couple of weeks along the East Coast of America for our honeymoon. It was an amazing experience.

A belated congratulations to him for tying the knot.

Would he have a place in the best 22 when fit and in form?

"Leigh Adams is desperate to bounce back from a season he described as 'really disappointing'."

And in other Breaking News.... A dog barks !!!
He's aware of it. I'm not seeing the problem with that, nor a need to point it out in that way.

He is an interesting one is Patch. His best really is very good and he is excels at playing that link up role between half forward and midfield when he is physically capable of doing so. With the longer preseason this year you would think that he has the time to recover properly, and with Higgins and Turner with us we don't need to play him when he is not 100% or as close to as possible. Whatever happens he is at worst very good depth.

Thomas plays no matter what.

Higgins, Turner, Garner, Harper, and Patch vie off for the other spots. I'd say Higgins spot is somewhat secure. It's going to be an interesting battle but this is a position we have a lot of depth in.

He is an interesting one is Patch. His best really is very good and he is excels at playing that link up role between half forward and midfield when he is physically capable of doing so. With the longer preseason this year you would think that he has the time to recover properly, and with Higgins and Turner with us we don't need to play him when he is not 100% or as close to as possible. Whatever happens he is at worst very good depth.

His best was very good, he just hasn't been able to play that way for a few years now. I think he has to have a big season or it could be curtains. I hope he can play well.

I just hope the club puts the team before the individual and does not gift games where there is no merit, I think people would have been a lot more supportive of Adams during the season if he wasn't a yoke around the team's neck which hampered our ability to win games.

His best was very good, he just hasn't been able to play that way for a few years now. I think he has to have a big season or it could be curtains. I hope he can play well.

I just hope the club puts the team before the individual and does not gift games where there is no merit, I think people would have been a lot more supportive of Adams during the season if he wasn't a yoke around the team's neck which hampered our ability to win games.
I think you are being a tad harsh there Tas. Adams was actually pretty good in 2013 and showed at times in 2014 that he still has plenty to offer. He did taper off badly as the year progressed though. Fingers crossed his body recovers sufficiently because he really does know how to play that half forward role.

I think you are being a tad harsh there Tas. Adams was actually pretty good in 2013 and showed at times in 2014 that he still has plenty to offer. He did taper off badly as the year progressed though. Fingers crossed his body recovers sufficiently because he really does know how to play that half forward role.

Adams said in the B&F that he was carried through 2013 by the rest of the team. We can't afford to carry players in 2015.

Adams said in the B&F that he was carried through 2013 by the rest of the team. We can't afford to carry players in 2015.
Yet his output was still close to his best years. Perhaps he felt he could have been better, expected more from himself?

And yes, no carrying players. We don't need to do that anymore with multiple options for each role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back