Taylor Walker
2007 File
Courtesy of MickyCrow

r190184714410va4.jpg

DOB: 25/04/90
Ht: 190
Wt: 82
For: NSWACT Rams
Honours: NSW/ACT Under 18 squad 2007, Under 18 All-Australian, North Broken Hill A grade Premiership, Broken Hill Football League Grand Final Best on
Ground, AFC Apprenticeship holder 2007, Upgraded to AFC senior list, October 2007

2007 STATISTICS

UNDER 18 Competition

M Goals Beh K HB Tkls FF FA CM UCM

V Calder 6 3 14 6 4 2 2 4 5
V Murray 4 0 6 8 1 2 - 1 3
V Bendigo 7 3 11 6 4 - - 3 4
TOTAL 3 17 6 31 20 9 4 2 8 12

Challenge Cup

NSWACT Rams 11/6

G2 v Queensland 3 goals- Impressive display, leading goalkicker in a losing side
Exhibition Game

NSWACT Rams 16/6

V South Australia Good to average game, in a match where NSW were dominated by SA, was not disgraced

Under 18 National Championships

G1 v NT 23/6

5 Goals, top scorer for NSW

G2 v QLD

1 goal. Quiet game

G3 v TAS

1 goal

Broken Hill Football League

ROUND GLS COMMENTS
3 0 4th Best
5 6 BOG
13 4 BOG
15 4 2nd Best
16 3 2nd Best
17 4 2nd Best
18 6 3rd Best
PF 7 2nd Best
GF 7 BOG
TOTAL 41 9 games

So for the year kicked 17 in 3 games in the Vic u18 comp, 7 in the under 18 comps (and All-Aust u18), completely dominated for North Broken Hill when able to turn out- kicked 41 for the year and missed being leading goalkicker for the season - after only playing half a season. I also read he kicked 9 against Geelong Grammer in the an exhibition game at Broken Hill

Not a bad year for a 17 year old

Realistic goal for 2008, play steady games in the SANFL, hopefully make AFL debut and play 1-5 games, however if Adelaide are dinkum in their ‘refreshing program’ he may play a few more than that

Next stop, welcome to Adelaide

Links to Taylor Walker Stories
http://www.aflnswact.com.au/default.aspx?s=genericnewsdisplay&kw=57&aid=107096
http://www.barrierminer.com.au/article.php?article=860
http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/New...x?newsId=47186
http://www.abc.net.au/brokenhill/stories/s1985507.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/brokenhill/stories/s2022101.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/brokenhill/stories/s2055448.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/brokenhill/stories/s1922053.htm
http://countryfooty.com.au/BrokenHill.htm
http://afc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/4417/Default.aspx?newsId=52462
http://www.abc.net.au/brokenhill/stories/s2061678.htm

Barrier Daily Truth, Broken Hill, 13/10/2007:

Star North Football Club junior Taylor Walker looks set to complete a "dream" entry into the AFL after he was added to the Adelaide Crows' playing list yesterday.

The Crows made the announcement that Walker would be joining the club late yesterday afternoon as part of Adelaide's NSW Scholarship Program.
Walker was added to the club's program in May 2006, and quickly repaid the faith shown in him with standout performances up forward in both the local and TAC Cup competitions.
As part of the program Adelaide were able to priority list the talented 190cm youngster in exchange for their sixth round pick in the upcoming draft.
Walker said he was contacted by Crows' Recruiting Manager Matt Rendell and Senior Coach Neil Craig about his selection, and was left in a state of disbelief.
"They told me at around 3.30, and at the start I didn't really believe it, it didn't really click, but then Matt Rendell said 'We're taking you' and that was it," he said.
"I thought they were going to hang onto me for another year in the scholarship because I hadn't really heard too much from them.
"It hasn't really sunk in yet. Neil Craig just rang me and said congratulations and told me I had some hard work ahead of me, and said 'See you at pre-season.'"
A lifelong avid Crows supporter, Walker said the opportunity to play for Adelaide was a dream come true.
"It's awesome, it's amazing, I don't know what else to say," he said.
"I've always barracked for them, ever since I was a kid - It's a dream."
Father Wayne Walker said his family was elated with the news, and hoped Taylor would grasp his opportunity and hopefully cement a place in the Crows' forward line in the near future.
"Mum and Dad are very excited and his brother and sister - it's a great opportunity for him," he said.
"Even though he's on the list the ball is in his court though, it all comes down to how much he wants to work... there's a real opportunity for him to get in and mix it."
Adelaide also appeared pleased to see the 17-year-old making the transition to AFL via their club, with Crows General Manager - Football Operations John Reid saying the club was keen to get Walker into their system.
"We've upgraded him, he's had a very demanding season, a lot of football, and we think he's handled it very well," he said.
"We could have kept him on the scholarship for another year, but we think for his development, for him to go to the next level it'd be better if he's on our list and we get him down here and get him going."
Reid said Walker would have been a likely prospect had he entered into the draft, and said he was pleased the scholarship system had allowed him to land at the Crows.
"He'd have been very reasonable. I won't go into the exact science of it but he'd have been very draftable, so we added him to our list - and that's what the scholarship program is for," he said.
"We're really pleased to have him on board, he's a very good young man."
Walker flew to Adelaide last night and will meet with Crows officials today for fitness screening and a medical check.

Welcome to the AFC young man, and roll on 2008

MickyCrow nominated to be Texs Ranger's watcher.

Re: Taylor Walker

Taylor Walker

MickyCrow nominated to be Texs Ranger's watcher.

Go the mighty TR

will be back later this weekend with his vital stats

needless to say that am absolutely wrapped we decided to put this kid on our senior list, has talent to burn and the sooner he got into the AFL system the better

One quick point, I am more than happy to be Walker's watcher but as I pointed out in the prior thread I work weekends, so if there is someone who gets to the SANFL games of the club Taylor get drafted to, I would grudingly pass responsibility to them for the greater good of the AFC big footy community, no doubt there will be a great deal of interest in this kid next year

Cheers, Mickycrow

A lifelong avid Crows supporter, Walker said the opportunity to play for Adelaide was a dream come true.
"It's awesome, it's amazing, I don't know what else to say," he said.
"I've always barracked for them, ever since I was a kid - It's a dream.

This is exactly what we all want to hear, a young player who not only will come to our club ( for the minimum 2 years) but absolutely wants to. I reckon he might graduate from lifelong crows fan to career long Crows player in due course.:thumbsu:

This is good too.

The Clubs Recruiting Manager Matt Rendell rates the youngster highly, " I would say he is in the top 20 players in the country in his age group and his development this year has been exceptional, the other thing that impresses us is that he has the X factor."

After a weekend meeting Crows staff in Adelaide it has been decided that Walker will move to South Australia in early November and commence pre-season training on the 12th of November.

Taylor stands roughly 6" 3" about the same height as me because he stood eye to eye with me after he booted 7 goals on me in the local semi-final in Broken Hill. Although I had a spell in the ruck I spent most of the game attempting to man him up. The kid is something special, in seven years playing at fullback the worst I had kicked on me was 4 goals and we didn't win a game that year. It was ridiculous, I tried and push him wide to the boundary with his leads but then he'd just kick from 55 meters and hit the post halfway up. I think he kicked something like 7 goals, 5 points (3 that hit the post) set up 6 and I spoiled roughly 5-6 so the kid really attracts the ball needles to say. His father was a local hard nut who earned the named 'Wacky' Walker hence he has a bit of mongrel from the old man. He's got great speed for a kid of his size and by the fourth of fifth lead I was gone, so he's got plenty of endurance as well. I really cant sing his praises enough I played on Brent Staker whilst he was still here seen and played with Dean Solomon and this kid is better by absolute miles. He takes a great pack mark, has a great work ethic and all the traits of a superstar. He's played against his own age group the best in the country and taken on full grown men who he has humbled by the way. To top it all off he a really nice kid. Good luck to all the crow supporter cause the power is strong in this one. You Crow boys couldn't let him go to hawthorn could you?

link here

Post from the Drafts and Trading board.

SA Screening Session, thanks to Juddstar, I'll find a comparison with others soon.

Juddstar in Drafts/Trading Board said:
Height: 191.5cm
Weight: 86.4kg
Veritcal Jump: 60cm
Running VJump R: 79cm
Running VJump L: 82cm
5m: 1.17s
10m: 1.92s
20m: 3.21s
Agility: 8.81s
Beep Test: 14.0

Reference Drafts/Trading Board: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9331988&postcount=28

That height makes me pleased in the pants.

EDIT: That 20m sprint does not...

I think the mullet and wingnuts may have offered a bit of resistance. Get that sorted out and he'll be sub 3 :D
I reckon he just needs to beef those legs up a bit. He's got a frame to fill and it's good to see he's put on a few kg's as well as a few cm's. A pre season will do him the world of good and hopefully he can get some more power out of those legs. Get that boy on a bike!

Also, the mullet does not go under any circumstances.

That height makes me pleased in the pants.

EDIT: That 20m sprint does not...

Agreed. Doesn't look like a super quick lad..? Whats the average time for a KPP? 3.1 around there? The more mobile ones are around 3 seconds. Maybe the club told him not to try as they wre already going to pick him up?

The boy is growing:thumbsu:

Place bets- 193 or 194 by round 1:D

Cheers to earlsta for those results, I wouldnt worry about the 20m to much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True that, all the elite KPP's aren't that quick I reckon, bar Pavlich & Franklin....and maybe a few others....

The guys like Brown & Rievoldt are all 'one touch' players, they don't necessarily rely on their acceleration to be good, Franklin does but he's a little different (freak). :eek: Kevin Sheehan spoke about Walker being this very type...a one touch footballer.

Thorgils "the bloke that played on him at broken hill" also said that they organised a broken hill all-stars team vs some other all-stars team and Walker bagged 9 in that game..lol goal kicking machine

Remember all these sprint stats are from a bloke that doesn't play TAC all year etc...without elite training for most of the year.

Add an AFL pre-season to these stats and I'd say they would be tipping the scales come R1 in the SANFL. He's still 17..and was 186cm this time last year..now 191.5.

Won't be 18 until April 29? next year which puts him down in the bottom 5 youngest players that are to be drafted this year. To put it into perspective, Taylor walker is 23 months younger than Joel Selwood, that's just about a full 2 years... TWO YEARS!

Upside is insane, bigger than Sellars imo. Get on the bandwagon folks like me, the ranger's going to take us all to places that we haven't seen since the Modra days. :thumbsu:

Good to see he's made KPP height, and put on a few kg, means we probably only need to draft 1 other KPP with our earlier picks and can focus on some genuine midfield/small forward talent.

Also just on the 20m sprint, I wouldn't read too much into it...Judd clocked 2.90 yet he's considered arguably the fastest player in the comp, regularly outrunning players who clocked better times; Marc Murphy shows very good speed yet only managed 3.00 seconds in his sprint...it's never a perfect gauge of how a player will move when out on the ground. Plus power in the legs is something that can develop very suddenly and significantly with age; at 17 there is all sorts of potential for improvement to his pace, and that's disregarding the elite training and conditioning he'll get with the AFC. And as lame as it sounds, the idea that he didn't bust a gut because he had already been assured a place on our list isn't that far-fetched. Plus pace isn't as important to a forward's prospects as it is to a midfielder. Reading the play, using your body to full effect, positioning yourself properly and being able to take a one-grab mark, these are all more important than pace for a forward (of course it is a nice bonus if you can move like Buddy Franklin, which is what makes him as a player because he doesn't take that strong a mark).
I don't get this point. :confused:

There is a MASSIVE difference between 3.21 in a 20m sprint to breaking 3.00. 3.00 is considered a benchmark of sorts where 3.21 is considered kind of sluggish. So you can't cite Judd's 2.90 to say Taylor's time isn't too bad. Those two times are poles apart.

I'm not saying it's a dreadful time or anything but I was hoping to see a 3.10 or thereabouts. Maybe he just had a bad day at testing because he didn't seem like a 3.21 player whenever I saw him this year.

Walker, Sellar, Gill, Hentschel, Tippett, Moran, Griffen...if we can't get a good forward line out of that lot then we never will.

Also just on the 20m sprint, I wouldn't read too much into it...Judd clocked 2.90 yet he's considered arguably the fastest player in the comp, regularly outrunning players who clocked better times; Marc Murphy shows very good speed yet only managed 3.00 seconds in his sprint...it's never a perfect gauge of how a player will move when out on the ground. Plus power in the legs is something that can develop very suddenly and significantly with age; at 17 there is all sorts of potential for improvement to his pace, and that's disregarding the elite training and conditioning he'll get with the AFC. And as lame as it sounds, the idea that he didn't bust a gut because he had already been assured a place on our list isn't that far-fetched. Plus pace isn't as important to a forward's prospects as it is to a midfielder. Reading the play, using your body to full effect, positioning yourself properly and being able to take a one-grab mark, these are all more important than pace for a forward (of course it is a nice bonus if you can move like Buddy Franklin, which is what makes him as a player because he doesn't take that strong a mark).

Your talking about onballers, where endurance becomes a significant factor, as does positioning. The 20m sprint should indicate a forwards ability to get a few steps on a defender. That said however, endurance becomes a significant factor also, particularly the ability to lead and then lead again and again. It would have been great to see sme time trial results or rep sprint results, anyone know whether these even took place? The ther thing to consider is whether these sprnt etc. took place on grass or indoor. I believe this years draft camp at the AIS was indoor, but previous years were outdoor. Wind resistance, grass lenght and condition could all have an input.

All that said the fact Walkers conditioning is all based on an ametuer league training and playing is a huge factor also. Perhaps we shouldn't read to much into anything at the moment.

Your talking about onballers, where endurance becomes a significant factor, as does positioning. The 20m sprint should indicate a forwards ability to get a few steps on a defender. That said however, endurance becomes a significant factor also, particularly the ability to lead and then lead again and again. It would have been great to see sme time trial results or rep sprint results, anyone know whether these even took place? The ther thing to consider is whether these sprnt etc. took place on grass or indoor. I believe this years draft camp at the AIS was indoor, but previous years were outdoor. Wind resistance, grass lenght and condition could all have an input.

All that said the fact Walkers conditioning is all based on an ametuer league training and playing is a huge factor also. Perhaps we shouldn't read to much into anything at the moment.

Bingo

Upside is insane, bigger than Sellars imo. Get on the bandwagon folks like me, the ranger's going to take us all to places that we haven't seen since the Modra days. :thumbsu:

agree 100% can't wait to find out what number he gets so I can be the first to get it on the back of my gunsey!

Taylors the new Van Berlo:D

Mate he's Modra and Mcleod fused into one based on popularity.

He's the most viewed Adelaide crow player in the Locker room yet he just got named on our list!

:thumbsu::thumbsu:
Just make sure you got ya guns packed in at the side with your cowboy hat and ya whip when Wacky Walker the texas ranger takes the field for the mighty crows!!

I was hoping he'd clock a tad fast 20m time but Meh. He can work on it. Bottom aged, KPP who we basically are getting for free. Sounds a steal to me. If he's got a footy brain he can work around his lack of acceleration. However he might've had a bad day/didn't try... lets take a look of him on the footy field. Hopefully he features in the NAB cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back