Delisted #14: Jason Ashby - Delisted 16/9

Bump.

Very happy with his year, the more I see him the more I see similarities with Heppell, once he fills out I think he'll be a pretty handy player, will play next year, no doubt about it for mine.

What are his best attributes and where do you think his long term playing position is?

Strengths from what I can tell
- Really strong runner, so accumulates a fair bit of ball without you really noticing.
- Good mark overhead which is handy at his height (186?).
- Makes good decisions
- Can attack and defend, both in the backline and through the midfield.

Long term? Definitely midfield, ours is a hard backline to break into, and I don't see him supplanting Baugley as a back pocket.

Doesn't have any outstanding attributes, but doesn't have any real weaknesses that i've seen either. Unless you count not having any true weapons as a weakness

The Enright comparison is apt in terms of style in pretty much every way

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He's going to be that guy that creeps up on us (moreso than someone with a few really obvious attributes). Nothing stands out because he seems to do everything well.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory

Been spending some time up front according to this.
From what I was hearing he may get a few games next year but it doesn't sound like he'll get more then that.

Interesting about the forward play, hadn't noticed it. Similar build to Gia.

We had a really good thing going in the VFL this year, basically all our kids, be they flankers or pure on ballers have been rotating through the middle, back and forward. Kav's been used as a tagger and a defender, Gleeson as a defensive forward, Hams and Ashby have played a lot of HBF, Daggers a good combination of mid, back pocket and back flank, and Merrett when he's been in there has been in the middle a lot.

And that's just the game i've been to

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Bump.

Very happy with his year, the more I see him the more I see similarities with Heppell, once he fills out I think he'll be a pretty handy player, will play next year, no doubt about it for mine.

Strengths from what I can tell
- Really strong runner, so accumulates a fair bit of ball without you really noticing.
- Good mark overhead which is handy at his height (186?).
- Makes good decisions
- Can attack and defend, both in the backline and through the midfield.

Long term? Definitely midfield, ours is a hard backline to break into, and I don't see him supplanting Baugley as a back pocket.

Doesn't have any outstanding attributes, but doesn't have any real weaknesses that i've seen either. Unless you count not having any true weapons as a weakness

The Enright comparison is apt in terms of style in pretty much every way

Pretty spot on with his year there mate.

It was interesting to see him go forward later in the year. Uses it really well by foot and generally makes the right decisions. Could see him being used across the forward half earlier in his career before progressing to the midfield/wing later on.

For me there's one hf/rotational mid spot up in the air (kommers) depending on coaches kommsy's spot could be up in the air, Ashby, hams, dalgliesh, nob, kav could ice it for the year with a massive preseason. Could set them up as it did merrett this year

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
I've been saying our best chance at a flag is to go now basically, as we have Goddard and Watson, and probably Stanton, at the extent of their powers.

But our midfield future certainly has some promise.
I assume it will be built around Zaharakis, Melksham and Heppell as the main 3, with probably Myers.

It solely depends on how many of the group of Kavangh, Merrett, N'OB, Dalgleish, Ashby, Browne, Hams come on, and just how good they become.
That is why developing is so crucial these days - you could go to almost any club and they'd have a similar list to that above ^^ but how many actually come on, and find their role is vital.

It seems the best way to go, for better or worse, it to pick your 3-4 favourites and stick by them, give them their 8-10 games minimum in the year to work into it.
Merrett seems to be #1 from this list at the moment. I expect Hams to jump to #2 and Kavanagh #3. O'Brien and Dalgleish probably fighting for slightly different places even though they play midfield.

Browne's a personal favourite of mine though, really hoping he's not thrown on the scrap heap.

EDIT: It is also why I'd be playing an extra one of these guys ahead of Kommer. He has fantastic endeavor, and even maybe a slightly greater impact than one of the above guys for the time being, but giving a mixture of Kavanagh/Browne the 15-20 games that Kommer played this year would've been very helpful.

Feb 2, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Miami Heat
I've been saying our best chance at a flag is to go now basically, as we have Goddard and Watson, and probably Stanton, at the extent of their powers.

But our midfield future certainly has some promise.
I assume it will be built around Zaharakis, Melksham and Heppell as the main 3, with probably Myers.

It solely depends on how many of the group of Kavangh, Merrett, N'OB, Dalgleish, Ashby, Browne, Hams come on, and just how good they become.
That is why developing is so crucial these days - you could go to almost any club and they'd have a similar list to that above ^^ but how many actually come on, and find their role is vital.

It seems the best way to go, for better or worse, it to pick your 3-4 favourites and stick by them, give them their 8-10 games minimum in the year to work into it.
Merrett seems to be #1 from this list at the moment. I expect Hams to jump to #2 and Kavanagh #3. O'Brien and Dalgleish probably fighting for slightly different places even though they play midfield.

Browne's a personal favourite of mine though, really hoping he's not thrown on the scrap heap.

EDIT: It is also why I'd be playing an extra one of these guys ahead of Kommer. He has fantastic endeavor, and even maybe a slightly greater impact than one of the above guys for the time being, but giving a mixture of Kavanagh/Browne the 15-20 games that Kommer played this year would've been very helpful.

Goddard/Watson are effectively our oldest players that aren't Fletcher that are best 22.

In 2-3 years they will still be playing great footy even if it isn't at their peak, but our relatively young list will all be much better and more experienced with guys like Heppell, Hibberd, Carlisle all having played 100+. Zaha/Melkshake 150+ etc.

Don't know why you think our best chance at a flag is now when you look at the list like that. We still haven't proved we can run out a season yet along run deep into September.

I expect Kav to be the best out of those listed. Out of the youngsters he seems to have the best footy brain and decision making combined with execution. But when they are still developing that can very easily change in a pre-season.

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
Goddard/Watson are effectively our oldest players that aren't Fletcher that are best 22.

In 2-3 years they will still be playing great footy even if it isn't at their peak, but our relatively young list will all be much better and more experienced with guys like Heppell, Hibberd, Carlisle all having played 100+. Zaha/Melkshake 150+ etc.

Don't know why you think our best chance at a flag is now when you look at the list like that. We still haven't proved we can run out a season yet along run deep into September.

I expect Kav to be the best out of those listed. Out of the youngsters he seems to have the best footy brain and decision making combined with execution. But when they are still developing that can very easily change in a pre-season.

Think you answered it yourself, that's the point up for debate - how good will Goddard, Watson and Stanton be in 3 years time. They'll be 31, 31 and 30 respectively (I think). I can see Watson still being a valuable player, Goddard will certainly still be handy but not quite the same, and I think Stanton will deteriorate the most out of them - he relies so much on his endurance and I feel we were already seeing signs of that slipping this year.

As I said, those 3 are a massive chunk of our side at the moment, so it depends how much Zaharakis, Melksham etc.. come on, can they pick up the drop off. Heppell will, I don't think anyone doubts that.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Think you answered it yourself, that's the point up for debate - how good will Goddard, Watson and Stanton be in 3 years time. They'll be 31, 31 and 30 respectively (I think). I can see Watson still being a valuable player, Goddard will certainly still be handy but not quite the same, and I think Stanton will deteriorate the most out of them - he relies so much on his endurance and I feel we were already seeing signs of that slipping this year.

As I said, those 3 are a massive chunk of our side at the moment, so it depends how much Zaharakis, Melksham etc.. come on, can they pick up the drop off. Heppell will, I don't think anyone doubts that.
Hird was best on ground when he played his final game at the age of 34. Always felt he retired a year too soon... It's whether the body is holding up that counts. So far all three of those players look like their bodies are in great shape. Have to remember that Watson may not have peaked yet. Every year he has been better so far... I think all those players will be still at their peak for another 3 years because none of them rely on pace. After that who knows? I'd like Stanton to start to relish being tagged a bit more. I think he suffers from some performance anxiety which doesn't help ;) Mind you i expect he will tagged less as each year goes by. Teams might be forced to take a punt that his disposal wont hurt them as much as it will with others...
Like a previous poster said, don't worry too much about next year... Good things may or may not happen in 2014. 2015 on the other hand! Carlisle 24, Hurley 25, Zaka 25, Melksham 24, Heppell 23 (seriously?!) etc etc... These guys are just kids still right now... But we are gonna bring the pain to this competition in a couple of years time. If we can hold the damn list together! :oops:

and all 3 have games that are conducive to longevity, as well as being pretty durable.

Beej wont lose his kicking, Stants wont lose his endurance and Jobe won't lose his awareness due to age, if anything it could get better (he's only played 150 odd games remember).

it's not like say a ruckman who'll lose his leap or a winger who relies on burst speed, which will fade

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
It's fantastic that Hird didn't really deteriorate, but that doesn't necessarily apply to everyone - in fact, that certainly makes him more of an exception.

Having said that, I can see Watson been very effective for many more years, as his strengths are not things that generally go with age. Goddard I think will still have a role to play, albeit a very different one - I could see him spending a lot of time forward, especially if Crameri goes.
Stanton is the one I'm very worried about though. I'm hoping he was carrying something, because his 2nd half of the year was very ordinary. And not the typical ordinary of getting tagged out of the game, I'm talking ordinary as in he was exhausted halfway through the 3rd - and classic Stanton would run through that, but he couldn't run out games this year. I'm very concerned for his role in the future as more than just an accumulator.

Overall, I'm just saying they are our 3 best midfielders at the moment (Heppell pretty close), and they're all at their peak. But to one extent or another, they'll be going downhill sooner rather than later, why wouldn't you be trying to make the most of that whilst you have it, rather than hoping the younger brigade can come along and pick up the slack in later years to bring our midfield up to the level that we roughly are now..

new bomber

Draftee
Jul 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Is it just me or can anyone see like some Pendlebury in this kid. seems like he is very poised from the Video I can see. has anyone seen him live or who can they compare him too. I can see him coming into the side next year and playing strong

Is it just me or can anyone see like some Pendlebury in this kid. seems like he is very poised from the Video I can see. has anyone seen him live or who can they compare him too. I can see him coming into the side next year and playing strong

People like the Corey Enright comparison. Heppell is a Pendles clone

JR95

All Australian
Apr 11, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Seems to have a similar style to Melksham in that video in my opinion.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Seems to have a similar style to Melksham in that video in my opinion.
This is and even a bit similar to Kavanagh in the way he moves

Just by looking at that video, composure with ball in hand could be something that he could improve but maybe that comes with confidence against men and gaining a stronger body.

When drafted one of his best traits was his competitiveness and his ability to not lose 1v1's.

I think hes probably biding his time with Dempsey

Back