Delisted #15: Courtenay Dempsey - Delisted - 28/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Was really really really really happy with his game. And he wasn't that great. But if he improves I am excited. Having both he and Piggy setting up play from half back, our team will be a much better one.

An Essendon with a happy and performing Dempsey is a great great Essendon.

Looking at his injury history, what a shame he's copped so many injures

2014 - hamstring (Rd 2), ankle (Rd 11)
2014 pre-season – calf x2
2013 - ankle, ribs, hamstring
2012 - hamstring, shoulder
2012 pre-season - calf
2011 - knee (ACL)
2011 pre-season - slight concussion
2009 - ankle, hamstring x2
2008 - hamstring, shin splints/stress fractures, cracked fibula
2007 - hamstring x 5
2007 pre-season - elbow, groin
2006 - ankle, groin, leg

Don't know how much more upside he's got in his game though. Looking at some of our other upcoming players like Gleeson, Kavanagh, the Merrett brothers etc., I don't think Courtenay's spot in the team is the safest over the next couple of years.

Don't know how much more upside he's got in his game though. Looking at some of our other upcoming players like Gleeson, Kavanagh, the Merrett brothers etc., I don't think Courtenay's spot in the team is the safest over the next couple of years.
Only on BigFooty is it better to be young than good.

He is good, but so are they, and generally players improve with age. Do you not agree he could be jumped in the pecking order?
All of the players you listed are midfielders, not back flankers either way. Dempsey is a proven performer as well.

Also; Wright and Martin were his men. 0 goals again this week (Martin's was while playing midfield). That's 3 goals in 7 games this season. That's better than anybody else since his return

All of the players you listed are midfielders, not back flankers either way. Dempsey is a proven performer as well.

Also; Wright and Martin were his men. 0 goals again this week (Martin's was while playing midfield). That's 3 goals in 7 games this season. That's better than anybody else since his return

Gleeson is a flanker and I'd say the Merrett brothers are too. Besides, flankers that push into the midfield are gold.
Thanks for the defensive stats though. That's impressive.

Wright was one of Adelaide's best last night with 26 disposals though.

Gleeson is a flanker and I'd say the Merrett brothers are too. Besides, flankers that push into the midfield are gold.
Thanks for the defensive stats though. That's impressive.

Wright was one of Adelaide's best last night with 26 disposals though.
Gleeson is a midfielder with a flankers tank. The same with Zach Merrett. Jackson Merrett has been playing midfield most of the year

Gleeson is a midfielder with a flankers tank. The same with Zach Merrett. Jackson Merrett has been playing midfield most of the year

Perhaps there's not as much competition as I thought.
I'd still maintain that if this is the peak of his powers, it wouldn't be out of the question for someone to take his position.

I'd still maintain that if this is the peak of his powers, it wouldn't be out of the question for someone to take his position.
Offensively he's no where near his peak. Defensively he's definitely there

Would it be fair to say Edwards is probably the closest like for like in the VFL? I expect Edwards to debut for the bombers sometime this year, but I hope really has a great pre-season and gives himself a chance to displace Dempsey next year.

Would it be fair to say Edwards is probably the closest like for like in the VFL? I expect Edwards to debut for the bombers sometime this year, but I hope really has a great pre-season and gives himself a chance to displace Dempsey next year.
Oh, he's definitely the eventual replacement but he's too inconsistent at VFL level atm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seriously thought Gleeson was that guy. Don't they have plans to develop him into a HBF?
(Corey Enright comparison)
Gleeson is more your Heppell type. Meh defensively, better in traffic than out of it. Will turn into a mid

Are you sure about 3 games - Green kicked 3 on him when we played Brisbane. Agree that he has been defensively sound.

I'm never gonna see him get a go in a forward pocket am I? Even just for one game. I'm pretty sure the times he has been tried there even just for quarters his come up with a goal or two.

Like him off HB but just wanna see what he could do as a forward

Are you sure about 3 games - Green kicked 3 on him when we played Brisbane. Agree that he has been defensively sound.
Baguley was on Green.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back