Delisted #15: Courtenay Dempsey - Delisted - 28/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Would gladly accept aend of first round draft pick for Dempsey if he decides he wants to head back home.

To get top 10 picks for a traded player you need form on and off the field. In saying that GC seemed to be well stocked for running defenders so I doubt they will be interested. Think Brisbane would be very interested. Two picks around the end of the first round and beginning of the second is an appealing prospect.

**** picks and **** the Suns.

Incidentally I wouldn't trade Hooker for Caddy and pick 19. Unlucky there Suns, enjoy Matthew Warnock.
Let alone Hooker and pick 19 for Caddy :p

Yep the suns messed that one up!

To be fair at the time Pears was seen as our next gun defender. Shows how times have changed. Hooker is one of our biggest draft successes and we have had a few. 16 clubs laughed at us when we drafted him (and I'll cop it and even I did) but boy have we had the last laugh. Wouldn't be against Hooker captaining a few games.

A few question regarding Dempsey:
  • Does his family still live in Queensland?
  • Does his wife/kids live in Queensland?
  • Is he still good friends with Jarrod Harbrow?
The reason I ask is because a trade to the Gold Coast could be the best option for both Essendon and Dempsey.

He is from North Queensland. I'm not sure how a trade to the Gold Coast is going to help.

Whats the latest with Dempsey? He's had his injury/discipline issues and has only managed a modest 88 games in 9 years. Thats less than 10 games a year, but at 26 should be in his prime & is such a talent I reckon hes worth persisting with...
Didn't play reserves yesterday, not playing seniors today, apparently not injured anymore....Has he walked out on the club and/or AFL football..?? Would be a shame if he has as he is such a talent......

AFL site has him listed as hamstring 2 weeks, updated Tuesday,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Received word that he's progressing really well, and is really pushing hard for a recall once fit. Has got his head in the right space and is doing above and beyond to get back into the seniors.

Take it with a grain of salt, as I'm not sure on the reliability, but it's good to hear nonetheless.

Received word that he's progressing really well, and is really pushing hard for a recall once fit. Has got his head in the right space and is doing above and beyond to get back into the seniors.

Take it with a grain of salt, as I'm not sure on the reliability, but it's good to hear nonetheless.
Someone on BB posted simular, not sure on their reliability but they said he has spend every spare minute in the gym and seems to have pulled his head in.

Whats the latest with Dempsey? He's had his injury/discipline issues and has only managed a modest 88 games in 9 years. Thats less than 10 games a year, but at 26 should be in his prime & is such a talent I reckon hes worth persisting with...
Didn't play reserves yesterday, not playing seniors today, apparently not injured anymore....Has he walked out on the club and/or AFL football..?? Would be a shame if he has as he is such a talent......

Only 88 games stems from a bad run of injuries and numerous hammies topped off by an acl in 2011

Ok thats good to hear - Im glad its a hammy not discipline still...!
I guess hes one of those guys who if we get a dozen games out of this year and a couple of finals he becomes a real X factor, but based on history to expect anything more than that would be unrealistic.

Ok thats good to hear - Im glad its a hammy not discipline still...!
I guess hes one of those guys who if we get a dozen games out of this year and a couple of finals he becomes a real X factor, but based on history to expect anything more than that would be unrealistic.
I feel it is a little of both; he did do his hammy, but team discipline a little too,

I don't think he was working hard enough in fitness during the preseason, maybe that had a little to do with him pulling the hamstring. Team mates knuckled down with him and said he needs to work harder and gave the team ban. (I'm guessing here) hoping he pulls his head in and works hard to get fit.

Watched the Saints game from last year and remembered how good he is. Bombed a beautiful goal from outside 50. I'd be sorely disappointed to lose him for trade. We are in premiership contention so Dempsey is SO much more valuable than pick 20 or even pick 10 for that matter. Must keep.

He is from North Queensland. I'm not sure how a trade to the Gold Coast is going to help.
Correct. However, the Suns are heavily involved in programs in the northern parts of Queensland and actually play a game in his hometown every year. Also, I'm not sure if you know this but Dempsey moved to Brisbane in his teens and completed high school there. I would say a lot of it is heavily dependant on where his wife is from. If his wife is from Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast then there is a much better chance of it happening.

Last edited:
Correct. However, the Suns are heavily involved in programs in the northern parts of Queensland and actually play a game in his hometown every year. Also, I'm not sure if you know this but Dempsey moved to Brisbane in his teens and completed high school there. I would say a lot of it is heavily dependant on where his wife is from. If his wife is from Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast then there is a much better chance of it happening.
I know his family are in Qld somewhere still, there was some rumor they they broke up during the off season and he had taken that quiet hard, but he did appear to be missing his kids (or going to miss them when he returned to Melb) from some of his instagram posts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back