Traded 16. Dawson Simpson (2008-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Dawson Simpson

Player Info

Developing big bodied player who is a fierce competitor and good overhead. Vic Country U18 representative this year. From Barnawartha FC.

AFL Insider:
He is a ruckman, a huge and intimidating ruckman. That could be a worry for AFL players of the future as he will be even bigger after a few years of AFL weight training. Probably isn't suited to any other positions. His role as a ruckman would be to contest the hitouts and then play a kick behind play and to also fill the hole in front of the full forward.
Perfect Fit For:
The Magpies would be a good destination for Simpson. When Fraser is ready to retire, which is several years away, then that might be the time that Simpson is ready to be a starting ruckman in the AFL.

**********.net prediction:
If Melbourne bring in the former Essendon coach for next season then he will want to make the Demons a lot bigger, so Simpson would make sense there. But it might depend on whether Melbourne go big with their first round pick, and also if they have a priority pick to use too. Melbourne's third round pick might be used on Simpson and it should be a good investment.

"Vinnie_Vegas69: Might be a bit early for him by some calculations, but I rate his potential as very high, and I think that he has already shown plenty of improvement this season as it has progressed. I didn't rate anyone else on the board in another position highly enough to want to chance Simpson being available later.
He still doesn't get much of the ball around the ground, but his mobility and skills are decent for a kid of 207cm, so I'm banking on being able to learn to get involved around the ground a bit more, but you can't coach size into a kid.
Collingwood has it's ruck development project.
"
"AFL Insider:
The Bulldogs are not in a good position at the moment, and plenty of the blame has to go to their recruiting ideas. Maybe they will have some review of their operations, that will cost a lot and take plenty of time, but there is a simple answer. They are too short. A simple, but effective, remedy will be to just draft the biggest players they can find, and here is the biggest.
Simpson looks like he will not only be a very tall ruckman but eventually he could be one of the strongest as well. A Monkhorst-like player, but with more height, is something the Bulldogs need.
If Simpson takes a few years to become a regular player it could be good timing, as Street will probably be gone then, as will Ben Hudson if they do acquire him during the trade period.
"

Weaver:
He is tall and ungainly and barely graduated from crawling in football terms. He is a dinosaur who can palm the ball, has passable skills the 8 times a game that he gets it. A little more meat on his bones than many of the junior ruckmen. That said he will be a slow-cooked meal. Freo are another of the many clubs that need some ruck depth, after Sandilands Peter Bell is next choice. Whatever room they locked Sandilands in to convert him from joke to weapon would be the ideal cell to make something of the 205cm+ of Simpson.

Dawson Simpsons Lucky Break

dawson-simpson.jpg

EELONG picked up more than just a big ruckman when it selected Dawson Simpson at pick 34 on Saturday.

It picked up a kid with a disciplined background and a clear desire to do whatever it takes to make it in the big time.

Simpson, a 206cm and 105kg 18-year-old from the Murray Bushrangers, spent three years as a sergeant in the army cadets before almost turning his back on footy to join the armed forces.

He was ultimately talked out of it by coach Peter Dean, returning to play another season in the TAC Cup.

With his sights then firmly set on making the draft, Simpson kept knowledge of a broken wrist away from the club, for fear they would force him to have it fixed and possibly ruin his draft chances.

"I broke it in round three and played with it for the rest of the year,'' he said.

"I thought I was starting with Vic Country and I wouldn't have made it if I had taken time off to have surgery, which would mean I wouldn't have made the draft camp and then got drafted.

"Once I learned to play with it it was all right, it was always uncomfortable and if I get a knock on it it hurt but I just worked through it and just kept thinking of the greater good.

"I kept it from them (the club), they would have wanted the best for me and wanted me to get it fixed then.''

Simpson had a bone graft off his hip to fix the wrist once he got back from the draft camp.

The 18-year-old from near Wodonga says he is thankful he chose footy over the army.

"I was a sergeant in the cadets for three years and I had a chance to see a lot of things a normal person wouldn't see,'' he said.

"Being young I can play footy now, and you can't play footy once you get older so I wanted to give it everything I have. I didn't want to have any regrets, now I just have to put my head down and work my arse off.''

"I broke it in round three and played with it for the rest of the year,'' he said.

"I thought I was starting with Vic Country and I wouldn't have made it if I had taken time off to have surgery, which would mean I wouldn't have made the draft camp and then got drafted.

"Once I learned to play with it it was all right, it was always uncomfortable and if I get a knock on it it hurt but I just worked through it and just kept thinking of the greater good.

Jesus.

Testing

Pre Season
Height - 207cm
Weight - 99.4kg
5m Spint - 1.14
20m Sprint - 3.16
Agility - 9.15
Shuttle - 12.0
Verticle - 63
Repeat Sprints

Draft Camp
Height - 205.9cm WTF haha
Weight - 104.9kg
5m Spint - 1.14
20m Sprint - 3.22
Agility - 9.10
Shuttle - 12.1
Verticle Jump - 56
Repeat Sprints - 26.21

Testing

Pre Season
Height - 207cm
Weight - 99.4kg
5m Spint - 1.14
20m Sprint - 3.16
Agility - 9.15
Shuttle - 12.0
Verticle - 63
Repeat Sprints

Draft Camp
Height - 205.9cm WTF haha
Weight - 104.9kg
5m Spint - 1.14
20m Sprint - 3.22
Agility - 9.10
Shuttle - 12.1
Verticle Jump - 56
Repeat Sprints - 26.21

Who does the Pre-Season testing. This is about the 3rd or 4th player thats has shrunk an what the story with the vertical jump? Is some fibs being told here?

Who does the Pre-Season testing. This is about the 3rd or 4th player thats has shrunk an what the story with the vertical jump? Is some fibs being told here?

Id imagine that the club does all the pre season tests, and therefre don't use the same technology available at the AIS

might need a bit of work on his fitness.
i got a better score and i'm only 15.

certainly filled out over the year tho.

Re: No. 16 Dawson Simpson

From afl.com.au

A big Cat not to be messed with

12:07 PM Fri 4 January, 2008 | Back

By Ben Broad

Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network
News

MEMO to all future opponents of Geelong draftee Dawson Simpson; don’t mess with the big Cat.

At 206cm, the former Murray Bushranger ruckman’s sheer size would probably be enough to make most rivals think twice before standing toe to toe with the promising 18-year-old.

But if they knew he had also spent three years as a sergeant in the army cadets before deciding to fully concentrate on footy, and that he possesses a black belt in karate, that might seal any decision as to whether they should provoke the giant teen into a push and shove on the football field.

Simpson joined the Cats with their second-round selection (pick 34) in November’s NAB AFL Draft, although he admitted he was pleasantly surprised to land with the reigning premiers.

The quietly-spoken country kid from Barnawartha, near Wodonga, had been bracing himself for a move across the other side of Australia, so he was thrilled to be 'only a few hours drive' from home rather than a few days.

“We went down to the primary school in the valley [to watch the draft], and we were sort of sitting there and we couldn’t get on the internet until about 10.15, so they’d already done the first round [selections],” Simpson said.

“I didn’t expect to go first round anyway so that was all right … I was sitting there listening and I was kind of expecting to go to West Coast because they’d been pretty keen for me.

“Then they read my name out pick 34 to Geelong, so I was rapt. The family was so happy, and I couldn’t get it through my head for about three days.”

Simpson said a more laid-back town like Geelong may prove a far better fit for the youngster who is “right into the country stuff”.

“I used to go shooting a lot and motorbike riding out on the farm, but obviously being down here I can’t really do that all that much now,” he said.

“But definitely coming to Geelong has been great for me.

“It’s still a big town in my eyes but nothing like Melbourne or Perth or something like that.”

Now living with a host family in Geelong, Simpson couldn’t be happier with life on or off the field – despite having a limited pre-Christmas training schedule as he recovers from a broken wrist which he played the majority of the TAC Cup season with.

He has only now just started his rucking apprenticeship and is enjoying observing the likes of fellow big men Brad Ottens, Mark Blake and Trent West – something he has thrived on in his early weeks of training.

“They’ve been great,” Simpson said.

“I haven’t done a lot of ruck work yet because of my wrist, but it’s just awesome being around guys like Otto. He’s just such a leader.”

http://afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=54514

206cm Black belts would have a little bit of intimidation factor about them I'd think. Then add the army bit for a bit of icing on the cake.

206cm Black belts would have a little bit of intimidation factor about them I'd think. Then add the army bit for a bit of icing on the cake.
Sounds like a determined and dedicated young man. Wells might have pulled another rabbit out of the hat!!:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL Practice Match 1/3/09 versus Bendigo..........comments by Shake & Bake

Dawson Simpson - Went ok, dominated the tap outs in the ruck, didnt do all that much around the ground, also spent some time forward but didnt do anything there, serviceable

just wondering how the little fella's coming along? it seems like he doesn't get much ruck time in the two's because of trent west, any truth 2 that?

your names is 200 tap ruckman are you talll? im quite tall iv goten 180cm but only wayne 70 kg not much but due to will grow more id say:thumbsu:

So the latest player updates from the Geelong Cats website (as of Feb, 2014) has Simpson listed at 206cm and 116kg.
18½ stone would make him the second heaviest player in the competition, just behind Aaron Sandilands.

Untitled_1.jpg

Finally able to get through a full preseason and looking in the best shape of his life.
Exciting 2014 ahead for Dawson.

I can't believe there's any kind of debate over whether or not he should be our number 1.

He's 25 next month. He averaged 36 hitouts a game before his injury last season. The man made an indescribable difference to our team around the stoppages. Why should he have to wait in the seconds any longer? Even if he was performing at a - let's say 7/10, with McIntosh at 8-9/10 - this guy will be the one at the centre bounce in six years time - not Hamish.

McIntosh will be an incredibly valuable backup - even a great inclusion for the finals - but it's Simpson who should be gifted games - not that I think he'll need to be.

HMac is possibly still playing on reputation pre injuries.
I also don't think that the club perhaps fully expected Daws to get back to playing, let alone making it this far.

Don't get me wrong, the future for us is Daws no question. And seeing the shape he is in right now has me very firm to say the least about this year.
To have the potential to take advantage of a true big body again will be brilliant for us. Especially given that the bigger players now have the right to guard space in a marking contest and those bullshit ticky touch push off frees should be gone from the game.

Im sure that the club has no issue with both guys being fit and ready to play. Kind of a novel experience for us. Hmac will see game time for sure.
I wonder about HMac as a threat up forward. He is more of noted goal kicker than Daws to this point - not saying Daws can't - but maybe that is helping him stay in contention as well.

And finally, Hmac is on a pretty penny I'm sure so at the very least the club would want to see some return for their investment this year - if for no other reason than to give Daws a rest and keep him up thru the year…

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back