Past #16: Scott Thompson - to retire end of 2019 season - thanks Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

After Roughead outmuscled him a thousand times back in 2009 I had him packed for the tip. What a player he has become. He's a weapon when coming out of the back half and rarely gets beaten in a contest now.

Great recognition for a guy who's come such a far way through hard work.

Nice development from Thompson who early on his career struggled to find the balance to defend and create. Well done. So disappointed for Lindsay not getting in the team. Great team picked if you wanted to to run a circle work training drill with all the mid picked!

Scooter.........best FB in the AFL at present. Well done old son!

I'm yet to see a single plausible reason for LT's exclusion.

He doesn't meet the new criteria. You either have to play in the midfield or be 6'4 and above

May or may not have been sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Scotty T. Top player and great bloke to boot. That's right - top players can be great blokes. His season was good enough they couldn't ignore him.

LT very harshly done by. Not surprising though. Wait for Brownlow night to see how North go in subjective awards.

He doesn't meet the new criteria. You either have to play in the midfield or be 6'4 and above
He let himself down with that suspension, and had a few quiet games late in he year.

Fair or not, a lot of media talk had him tagged as a diver/stager, which I daresay was a factor against him.

FWIW, I reckon the club ought to jump on any idiots who try to hit any of our players with this tag eg, Robbo highlighted LT as a stager/diver when Hanley got reported for striking him. A week later there was an identical incident (IIRC, Boyd on Selwood) and he said nothing. The club should have called him for hypocrisy.

At the same time, I'm sure Scott had a word to LT a year or 2 back, telling him to quit the staging and looking for frees ; he needs to reinforce that message at the start of 2014.

He let himself down with that suspension, and had a few quiet games late in he year.

Fair or not, a lot of media talk had him tagged as a diver/stager, which I daresay was a factor against him.

FWIW, I reckon the club ought to jump on any idiots who try to hit any of our players with this tag eg, Robbo highlighted LT as a stager/diver when Hanley got reported for striking him. A week later there was an identical incident (IIRC, Boyd on Selwood) and he said nothing. The club should have called him for hypocrisy.

At the same time, I'm sure Scott had a word to LT a year or 2 back, telling him to quit the staging and looking for frees ; he needs to reinforce that message at the start of 2014.

I agree with most of that but he was still the best small forward in the comp and deserved a spot. Selwood constantly plays for free kicks and got the fricken captaincy so surely LT can have a spot on the HFF or the interchange regardless of his tendency to play for free kicks

Sent from my Samsung iPhone using Tapatalk 4

Personally as great a player as Selwood is (he very much deserves to be there). It's getting a little old seeing him lying on his stomach like a baby looking up at umps (a la Matty Lloyd) and basically taking a free for granted. Also you've got to question Jobe's inclusion when his whole team is banned.

Brilliant effort by Thommo. Well deserved :thumbsu:

Thought he was only player who should have made it, Wells would have been close so maybe next year.

Congrats Scott, you are the best Defender in the AFL. That is an enormous title to have deservedly earned.

I'm ok with LT missing out, historically you need 2 big years in a row to get in. He had a few games with zero impact too. If he kicks 50 next year he will be in, they don't ignore continued excellence.

Winguard is the one that angers me the most. 1 good year, not even a great year statistically. He didn't deserve the spot imo. He can certainly play, he wasn't better than S.Motlop by any stretch.

Lt missed the bench - 3 more mids and another backman. Drug cheat Watson is the biggest joke.
HirdyLannister - hey knob head if you have something to say - say it and don't be a coward and like a post. It's trolling and weak as Heppell under the high ball.

As for your crack about me not having much of an idea about your club. In 2012 I tipped you to finish 11th - you finished 11th. In 2013 I tipped you to finish 7th - on points and % you finished 7th - before you got stripped of points for being a disgrace of a club. 2 years running I tipped your exact finishing position - how have you gone?

Winguard is the one that angers me the most. 1 good year, not even a great year statistically. He didn't deserve the spot imo. He can certainly play, he wasn't better than S.Motlop by any stretch.

He was the only player in the league to average more than 20 touches and two goals a game, in a side that made the finals against the odds. I think if you're looking for lucky inclusions he's probably not the best place to start.

KB this morning, somewhat playing the devil's advocate role as sms'er after sms'er and guest Martin Blake called LT "the unluckiest player to miss out", said that you have to remember that it's an 8 person panel making the selection decisions. There was strong support for LT but he didn't gain sufficient votes to actually be selected in the end. He cited the possession stats and inside 50 stats as a reason, with his well down on Wingard's, adding "you can't ignore the numbers!"

Oddly, for a "small forward", whose main purpose is to kick goals, the numbers they seemed to brush aside as meaningless were the goals kicked totals (53 v 40).

Me thinks that LT isn't everyone on the selection panel's cup of tea, for reasons stated above, and his supporters were out voted by them. What a shame!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back