Retired #16: Tayte Pears - Has announced his retirement - 8/9

Remove this Banner Ad

If he gets us into the 2nd round, trade him
I just don't really see why?
It is clear as day that the cards have been totally stacked against him with the emergence of Carlisle and Hooker, plus the neverending Fletcher. I think we should be totally grateful that no other team has been smart enough to take him off us in previous seasons! He is what 23? Even without a solid run at it, he has performed pretty damn well in many games when called upon. Who can say that he wont be another star if given a season or two to really settle into the defense? Fletcher could easily retire early next year if not before and i for one firmly believe he deserves a proper go.
Why take a punt on a second rounder? It doesn't get any better than Zach and i wouldn't be shocked if Pears ends up on a similar level to Zach (maybe a little surprised, but not shocked ;))...

You can't say he's behind Steinberg when Steinberg is yet to even play a game. Sorry, but you can't.
You can when Steinberg forced him out of defence at VFL level.

Pears' move to defence was not just because of Steinberg.

He was moved to attack because it was thought he'd be more likely to play as a forward in the senior side if he made it to the senior side- because the form of our senior defence was too good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Year to run on his contract. Lets pray for a miracle his body stands up for once over the course of 2015 & he gives us some good service...or its make him someone else's problem...just like Gumby is now Freo's.

I like Pears, but its time to retire, he should be advised to make the call now. (like Licha)
Unfortunately his body has let him down to the point when he is fit he is so far behind what he was, I cant see him transitioning into best 22 or even good depth.
The club has supported him well, it's time to pay them back. Wouldn't be against a popular and loyal bloke been given a role somewhere...

I like Pears, but its time to retire, he should be advised to make the call now. (like Licha)
Unfortunately his body has let him down to the point when he is fit he is so far behind what he was, I cant see him transitioning into best 22 or even good depth.
The club has supported him well, it's time to pay them back. Wouldn't be against a popular and loyal bloke been given a role somewhere...

He's 24...

He's 24...

I know, I just cant see an upside to him. I might be too quick to write him off, and would love to be proven wrong, but I think what he brings we can get elsewhere and he does not offer enough "uniqueness" to counter that.

(Note; I do live over 1600kms from Melbourne and rely on media, BF, tv games, family, friends (Some loosly assoc with EFC), & associates to form my opinions)
Its all I've got left...footywise:(

Well that just plain fkin sucks. :mad:

Hope he can recover in time to have a full or at least complete the majority of preseason so we can properly assess him when fully fit next year.
I personally think there's definitely a spot for him in our best 22 as that medium sized defender ala Toovey with neat disposals as a handy bonus, that will allow Hibberd/Dempsey to play more attacking and not have to worry too much about shutting down an opponent.

However I also wont be opposed to him being dropped if there isnt a suitable match up for him and the Hurls/Hooks/Baguley combo is enough shutdown power required, but teams nowdays generally have a 3rd more mobile tall anyway.

That is of course his body even lets him play to his potential, would be absolutely gutted if he becomes another Gumbleton. :(

Didn't know Pears was 29 years old.

Feet has been a perennial issue for Tayte. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and I wouldn't rule him out of making an impact in 2015,especially if Fletcher retires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back