Retired #16: Tayte Pears - Has announced his retirement - 8/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Some players just can't take a trick.

Regardless, let's not throw the toys out of the cot. He's got a year left on his contract so let's keep our fingers crossed that he can have an unimpeded run at it in 2015 so we can at least assess whether he's best 22, depth or worse case, no longer up to it.

the one thing that does give me a bit of hope with Tayte is that it's not really anything chronic like Gumby or Darcy Daniher, it's just a hell of a lot of relatively minor things that just won't leave him alone.

Just off the top of my head i can reel off pancreas, arm, hammie, ankle, calf, knee, another couple of calves and now heel, which is ridiculous for someone of his age.

Still think he may have found a home as a forward though, key forwards have got taller and he hasn't, but as a smart medium-tall forward I actually thought he picked it up pretty quickly for someone who's always been a defender

No, Cawshezy, you're done.
Ahh signing up to troll the Tayte page, that takes me back. Eh Oh Tayteridge
But on a cereal note, no need to make big calls. While it's not looking grouse for the kid, there is a year on his contract, he's still young and opportunities will open up in the starting 22 neck year if he can get his Tayte straight.
Has lacked any form of continuity for a long, long time and unless you're an exceptional footballer it takes a fair while to get form an fitness back to AFL standard.

Last edited:
Ahh signing up to troll the Tayte page, that takes me back. Eh Oh Tayteridge
But on a cereal note, no need to make big calls. While it's not looking grouse for the kid, there is a year on his contract, he's still young and opportunities will open up in the starting 22 neck year if he can't get his Tayte straight.
Has lacked any form of continuity for a long, long time and unless you're an exceptional footballer it takes a fair while to get form an fitness back to AFL standard.
Plus he has taken on the new role as a forward, so barring miracles he wasn't much of a chance to break into the team this year anyway. I'm glad he has a year to go and gets another shot at it. Hasn't done much wrong in my book, and could be a chance to play the role Hardi had a shot at where he was used both forward and back, particularly with the retirement of Licha.

Got me thinking that Gumbleton and Pears were our great hopes - They were going to be our bookends for the future, but unfortunately through injury and form got passed by.

I suppose that's the nature of footy.

40 games in 5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can get this bloke injury free it would be a start.. but he then runs into the same problem Gumby did.. by that stage he has missed that much footy that his 'peers' have gone past him.

Next year will be his final year to give it another crack.

He'll retire if he can't piece it all together.

Crazy to think that it was 5 years ago that he (along with Hooker) was leading our defence as 19 year-old; that it was 3 years ago when he last had a continued run at it.

May be offered around trade week but I think more likely he will see out the final year of his contract. Handy back up in case of emergency too if he can get fit again

No offence to Tayte, but we must be one of the only clubs that will hold and hold on a guy.....hoping he comes good.

Pears, Gumby, Johns....

Don't be ridiculous, plenty of other clubs do the same.... off the top of my head guys like John Butcher, Sean Rusling, Max Bailey, Nathan Vardy, Daniel Menzel, Beau Muston, Ayce Cordy, Shaun Mckernan are the very similar stories. Absolutely rubbish call

Don't be ridiculous, plenty of other clubs do the same.... off the top of my head guys like John Butcher, Sean Rusling, Max Bailey, Nathan Vardy, Daniel Menzel, Beau Muston, Ayce Cordy, Shaun Mckernan are the very similar stories. Absolutely rubbish call

You just put the moss on McKernan.

Tayte had a bucket load of talent but you just can't cover 3-4 years of development when you are a young kid. This story has been a really sour one for me. I still remember just how well he played in his second year but watching him at VFL this year you can see that form is a long long way away. I don't want him traded, I want him at Essendon but I don't have much faith anymore that he will make it back.

You just put the moss on McKernan.

Tayte had a bucket load of talent but you just can't cover 3-4 years of development when you are a young kid. This story has been a really sour one for me. I still remember just how well he played in his second year but watching him at VFL this year you can see that form is a long long way away. I don't want him traded, I want him at Essendon but I don't have much faith anymore that he will make it back.
He hasn't been totally out for 3-4 years. What would be the total amount of footy he has missed do you think? I would guess 2 years max? He is still 23 so from a purely statistical perspective there is no reason he cant turn the ship around at this point. I'm hoping he learned a new side to his game this year playing as a forward... That sort of change up can throw a new light on previously learned skills. When/if he goes back into the back line then he may be able to draw on that new experience of knowing more about the way forwards are thinking. We need to remember that he played some good footy in 2012, so he is not that far off the pace. In fact i would go so far as to say that it is simply a matter of a good run with injuries that will see him come good. How good is still the question of course... He might break into the team next year, or he may end up a decent defender at Melbourne or WB in 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back