Retired #16: Tayte Pears - Has announced his retirement - 8/9

Remove this Banner Ad

If he gets through this year reasonably unscathed I wouldn't be opposed to the club signing him for another year and give him a full offseason and a real crack at it next year. So much upside and he's only 25 or 26?
I wouldn't be opposed to it either, mate. I'm just not sure the club would have the same attitude.

I legitimately think he could be a useful forward.

Tayte will be amongst a group uncontracted players who will be on the chopping block at the end of the year.

Will take a small miracle to escape the axe imo.

I loved the boy early doors. However, it's a brutally competitive league and if you miss the amount of footy that Tayte has then it's highly doubtful you can get it all back.

In the time since he had regular footy the game has changed twice, Collingwood press and then Hawks ball movement. KPPs have also gotten that little bit bigger so he's too small for that and doesn't have the tank to run out as a mid.

I think he would be worth putting on the rookie list if he doesn't get any further injuries and continues to play the way he has been at vfl level.

He's one you have to persist with but when things go wrong everyone will jump up and down and say why did you persist with him.

I didn't realise he played 11 games in 2013. If he can stay on the park and maybe get a few games later this year then its 1 more year.

He's one you have to persist with but when things go wrong everyone will jump up and down and say why did you persist with him.

I didn't realise he played 11 games in 2013. If he can stay on the park and maybe get a few games later this year then its 1 more year.

AND YOU doing exactly what makes us an unsuccessful team - pears has been on the list for 8 years

Who's the promising young player being held back if we give Pears a crack?

Christ this attitude of "unless they're a star by 21 delist them" is rubbish. Some players develop differently. Especially when smashed by injury like Tayte has been. He's been kicking goals in the VFL. We're struggling to kick goals. Our season's shot. Give him a crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must break his way into the seniors this year or he has to be delisted. It's this sort of 'could be' type that we must be ruthless about.

Must break his way into the seniors this year or he has to be delisted. It's this sort of 'could be' type that we must be ruthless about.
I agree that unless he performs strongly this year he should be delisted. But he's performed extremely well at senior level before so he clearly has talent and can handle the big league. So I think he deserves a crack before the end of the year.

I agree that unless he performs strongly this year he should be delisted. But he's performed extremely well at senior level before so he clearly has talent and can handle the big league. So I think he deserves a crack before the end of the year.
I agree. Bring him in. He's got to be a better option forward than Steinberg and/or Hurley (for different reasons).

AND YOU doing exactly what makes us an unsuccessful team - pears has been on the list for 8 years

Once again completely incorrect. Plenty of clubs carry these type of players, taller key position types, injury prone or can't get a game.

Geelong - Nathan Vardy
Hawthorn - Schoenmakers
Fremantle - Alex Silvagni
Eagles - Mitch Brown

Similar to the Connolly stuff. It's based on hysteria and the sky is falling so blame the easy option.

Logic says he should come in for Carlisle, given he's the next best performing key-position forward at VFL level.

Having said that, our match selection panel has been anything but logical this year, so who knows.

You can kiss him goodbye then because it wont happen with him playing forward. He is not going to have enough tricks to trouble AFL standard key defenders.

His only hope real hope is to get into defence to try to win back the spot as a tall defender (because there is a vacancy) or to make a case as a mid sized defender.

If he could build up a decent enough fitness base it might be worth having a look at him in the midfield (which is what Dodoro and co were looking at when he was drafted) where he would be a big midfielder (and potentially someone we could use).

Those games against Brown and Fev were about the worst thing that could have happened to him because, as far as I'm concerned, most of his problems stem from trying to turn him into the key position player that he probably isn't.

Last edited:
You can kiss him goodbye then because it wont happen with him playing forward.

His only hope is to get into defence to try to win back the spot as a tall defender (because there is a vacancy) or to make a case for a spot on the back flank.
Can you see that happening?

Can you see that happening?

Not really. I think he was always a tall flanker and that he should have been developed accordingly. His body has not dealt with the rigor of footy and putting 10kgs on him in an off-season (09 to 10) will not have helped that.

It's one thing to pinch hit as a tall with some success and another thing entirely to build your body to the point that you can do it each week.

Once again completely incorrect. Plenty of clubs carry these type of players, taller key position types, injury prone or can't get a game.

Geelong - Nathan Vardy
Hawthorn - Schoenmakers
Fremantle - Alex Silvagni
Eagles - Mitch Brownve

Similar to the Connolly stuff. It's based on hysteria and the sky is falling so blame the easy option.

Its not based on hysteria - Pears will not survive playing in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back