Player Watch #17: Daniel Rioli - 5 more years! (Contracted until 2027)

Remove this Banner Ad

I might be in the minority, but I think he could have an impact straight away. The reason being we get A LOT of inside 50's. However, we also give up quick rebound fifties as we don't have a crumber, so the time that Vickery/Jack/Griff crash the packs, or don't mark the ball, we don't have a speedy small forward to pounce on the loose ball to make our forward line a little bit more dynamic. We rely on running goals from midfielders, or our forwards taking marks. We are almost useless when the ball hits the deck. Bringing Rioli in means that our forward line gets more dynamic and dangerous instantly as we have another avenue to goal. And if we continue to generate inside 50's as we have done, I wouldn't be surprised to see him kick a respectable tally in 2016 if he plays a majority of games.
Most of the knocks on Rioli were
lacks penetration with kicks. tackling very up and down, needs size on frame as he gets knocked of the ball too easily at times. disposal count down even for a sml fwd and finally below average when it comes to impacting the scoreboard.
Lots of things need work to get up to afl level. if people think he will play most games and have an impact then they wrongly have huge expectations imo..
Look im praying like hell that your right because god knows we desperately need to find a few quality goal kicking smalls.Personally i dont think he will play more than 6 or 7 games at best, i certainly don,t expect too much from him and i dont think others should either..

I think we drafted him based on his determination & Elite attributes....potential is there, it's up to the club & Dan to bring it to fruition..... Go Tigers!!

414992.jpg
414958.jpg
414955.jpg
414957.jpg
414976.jpg

Might just be me, but he looks a lot more solid than when he first got to the club. Reckon he might be closer to playing than many expect.

Might just be me, but he looks a lot more solid than when he first got to the club. Reckon he might be closer to playing than many expect.
He has bulked up a bit. Can't wait to see him play.

Hes already twice the size of Nahas.
Also Shane Edwards was rather slim and getting regular game time.

I might be in the minority, but I think he could have an impact straight away. The reason being we get A LOT of inside 50's. However, we also give up quick rebound fifties as we don't have a crumber, so the time that Vickery/Jack/Griff crash the packs, or don't mark the ball, we don't have a speedy small forward to pounce on the loose ball to make our forward line a little bit more dynamic. We rely on running goals from midfielders, or our forwards taking marks. We are almost useless when the ball hits the deck. Bringing Rioli in means that our forward line gets more dynamic and dangerous instantly as we have another avenue to goal. And if we continue to generate inside 50's as we have done, I wouldn't be surprised to see him kick a respectable tally in 2016 if he plays a majority of games.
Yes, I agree.

I have this theory that the lack of a small forward is why we tend to lose to the bottom placed teams more often than others. All they need to do is flood our backline and keep rebounding the ball away from our inside 50s to win as we are close to useless when the ball hits the deck in the forward line as you said. In such congestion, small forwards are what other clubs rely on to get goals.

Look at teams like Hawthorn and Adelaide who have good small forwards. The method of flooding the backline does not work on them as they have small forwards who can kick goals in such congested conditions. So the teams in the bottom part of the ladder struggle to find other reliable systems to beat them. Hence, they end up losing way more often than not.

There are many times where we have 8-15 more inside 50s to a bad team but end up losing the game because of this. I noticed that the Essendon of 2012-2014 was the same. Guess what Richmond and Essendon had in common? The lack of quality small forwards.

So, I think Rioli would make a quick impact given the circumstances our list is in. Sooner or later in the season, our team will be crying out for a small forward, so I think that he'll get an opportunity by midseason at the least. Yeah, he is not that huge right now, but he is quick.

Blessed with pace and great ball handling , two imperatives for a small forward at afl level. We will get a good gauge early on if he is narrowing the gap from u18 to seniors . Looks as though he is thriving at the level.
What gives me confidence is he only really came on in last 12 months when he started to apply himself

Blessed with pace and great ball handling , two imperatives for a small forward at afl level. We will get a good gauge early on if he is narrowing the gap from u18 to seniors . Looks as though he is thriving at the level.
What gives me confidence is he only really came on in last 12 months when he started to apply himself

froth.

Yep he looks okay in those pics still skinny though. If they think he can handle afl well heres hoping he does play. Plenty of skinny small fwds have managed games 1st yr. Others have had to develop in the ressies.The trouble with Daniel is hes starting about 14kg behind his ideal playing weight.Most don't start that far behind. Even if he has stacked on 4 or 5 kilo he will still be 10 odd kilo from where he needs to be.Because of this i just dont think there should be big expectations on him.

I use as a guide for judging where a players ideal weight needs to be by taking the last two digits in a players height, then using them as the weight he should play at.
It really is amazing at just how many players in the Afl fit into this guide within a kg or two.
Without doing the maths i would hazard a guess of around 90 - 95%. There are some exceptions of course, clubs will bulk players up a little more if they think it wont affect pace agility stamina etc or it really is needed for a role. Gary Ablett comes straight to mind at 182/88.
I suppose there is a flip side and some play below the guide as it affects pace etc so some play 4kg or 5kg below the guide but it would be a very small percentage.An apt ezample of this would be Jeff Garlett at 180/76.
It really does seem that the happy medium where players retain pace agility etc but bulk enough and gain enough strength is the last two digits of height equalling a players weight. For Daniel Rioli his ideal ratio imo would be 179cm = 79kg. Starting at 65kg means he is starting a long way behind the ball.

Last edited:
Yep he looks okay in those pics still skinny though. If they think he can handle afl well heres hoping he does play. Plenty of skinny small fwds have managed games 1st yr. Others have had to develop in the ressies.The trouble with Daniel is hes starting about 14kg behind his ideal playing weight.Most don't start that far behind. Even if he has stacked on 4 or 5 kilo he will still be 10 odd kilo from where he needs to be.Because of this i just dont think there should be big expectations on him.

I use as a guide for judging where a players ideal weight needs to be by taking the last two digits in a players height, then using them as the weight he should play at.
It really is amazing at just how many players in the Afl fit into this guide within a kg or two. Without doing the maths i would hazard a guess of around 90 - 95%. There are some exceptions of course, clubs will bulk players up a little more if they think it wont affect pace agility stamina etc or it really is needed for a role.
It really does seem that the happy medium where players retain pace agility etc but bulk enough and gain enough strength is the last two digits of height equalling a players weight. For Daniel Rioli his ideal ratio would be 179cm = 79kg. Starting at 65kg means he is starting a long way behind the ball.

Club listed him as 71 kg in their draft article the day after the draft. Reckon he'd be close to mid 70's now looking at those photos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club listed him as 71 kg in their draft article the day after the draft. Reckon he'd be close to mid 70's now looking at those photos.
Yet draft camp and every other source had him at 65kg just prior to the draft and he looked it. Again i hope your right but just looking at those pics i would be surprised if he is significantly above 70kg and that means he is still a long long way off where he needs to be.

Club and most draft reports had him at 180cm 71kgs during draft time, The 179 & 65kgs reports were from earlier in the year and people just continued to quote these numbers.

I think you will find that in 2 months he will be 180cm / 73-74 kgs and probably just 3-4 ideal playing weight , Which i believe should be 77/78kgs at most.

I would much rather he works more on his pace and endurance rather than baulk up more,He will be an outside runner small foward not inside mid in his 1st 5 years perhaps when he is 24/25 he will add more as he will play more as a mid

Surely Nahas was under weight? Inghams would knock him back for being too light..

I havent read 27 pages to see if this video is already in here...its Rioli's first game for St Marys in the NTFL - in the wet.

If he can do what he does in this video at AFL level, I will be happy. He knows where the sticks are and isn't selfish.

Surely Nahas was under weight? Inghams would knock him back for being too light..

I havent read 27 pages to see if this video is already in here...its Rioli's first game for St Marys in the NTFL - in the wet.

If he can do what he does in this video at AFL level, I will be happy. He knows where the sticks are and isn't selfish.

moist

Wiki:
Edwards had his break-out season in 2010, playing all 22 of the Tigers' matches, finishing sixth (narrowly missing out on a top five finish) in the 2010 Jack Dyer Medal and was awarded the Club’s Most Improved Player award.

Dud's don't do that.
Did you see iur list in 2010? Not a accomplishment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back