Retired 17. Hamish McIntosh (2013-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome, HMac. But now I might have to change my username, or it will look like I'm the founding member of the Cats' McIntosh fan club!
That was an omen that's been waiting to happen since 08.

Time to change my username to PDanger.

When I was a kid, Geelong had the best half back line going around...

S Lord Walker Devine

Stewart Lord was not as good as his brother and my recollection was that he was more a stopper like player. He killed the forward thrusts and then relied on Farmer/Goggin/Marshall etc to get he ball away. The OOB on the full rule would have killed Stewart!!

Peter Walker was a marvellous player..dashing CHB, good hands and a lovely kick. His tussles with Royce Hart were great to watch. And your talking cream when you talk of Royce Hart.

Devine was as tough as nuts and didn't mind handing it out, and rarely got caught doing it. Vice-Captain of a great side, who performed well week after week.

The 70's were a forgettable era....not sure who in that decade stood out...have to rely on others as I was away for much of that decade concentrating on my own footy and studying at the same time.

awesome, this is the kinda info and first-hand anecdotal stuff I'm talking about; as I said earlier I started seriously paying attention to VFL around '84-'85 (I was certainly aware of it before then, I can remember Helen D'Amico for instance), so any historical info on the Cats prior to my knowledge is always of interest to me.
Dennis Marshall, was anyone lucky enough to see him in action ?

thanks David ..

Man I wish I was around to see Polly play :( from the footage he would be very comfortable in the modern game...doubt he would had been a ruckman though.

Anyway back on topic here's hoping HMac stays fit and gives adequate time for Simpson to improve and hopefully find his spot in the team towards the finals or vice versa.

Man I wish I was around to see Polly play :( from the footage he would be very comfortable in the modern game...doubt he would had been a ruckman though.

Anyway back on topic here's hoping HMac stays fit and gives adequate time for Simpson to improve and hopefully find his spot in the team towards the finals or vice versa.

Could be the perfect moment to kick off my unofficial Give Polly a Retrospective Norm Smith campaign ;)

awesome, this is the kinda info and first-hand anecdotal stuff I'm talking about; as I said earlier I started seriously paying attention to VFL around '84-'85 (I was certainly aware of it before then, I can remember Helen D'Amico for instance), so any historical info on the Cats prior to my knowledge is always of interest to me.

thanks David ..
Marshall was a brilliant player, fast, skillful, hbf/centre, my 2nd favourite back then, after Billy Goggin, and just ahead of Peter Walker. He was close to a Brownlow, and one of those players that appealed to everyone.
Would be our best ever #2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 70's were a forgettable era....not sure who in that decade stood out...have to rely on others as I was away for much of that decade concentrating on my own footy and studying at the same time.

David, You’re right about the 70s being a forgettable era, with poor admin and weird coaching, but we did produce some good defenders.
FB John Scarlett played similarly to Matt (not as well of course). His pace made him one of the few able to keep Hudson within "reasonable" limits. And he was just as dangerous off the ground as on.
Our 2nd-best FB of the last 50 years after Scarlo was Gary Malarkey, built like 2 tanks, but also fast, good in the air, extremely strong and absolutely intent on stopping his opponent. I remember one day seeing him wrestle the much bigger Brian Taylor virtually non-stop for the whole match and come out tops.
Ian Nankervis morphed from a top rover/FP (200+ goals) into a brilliant, attacking BP. He was so good that even though the immortal Bernie Smith pipped him for BP in our Team of the Century, they still found a spot for him as an emergency.
HBF Ray Card was not an all-time great, but a club B&F and one of the hardest, toughest Cats ever. Pound for pound his ability to hurt players with a hip & shoulder was on a par with Matthews and Ablett. Google Ray Card Keith Greig if you get a chance.
HBFs Bruce Nankervis and Kevin Higgins were prototypes of the modern system of initiating attacks from half back and were both very good defensive and attacking players in their own right. (Ian & Bruce Nankervis were famously nicknamed the Leyland Brothers for what some saw as their indirect play).
Last but by no means least was BP/HBF/CHB Jumping Jack Hawkins, a magnificent high mark and attacking defender. He wore 26 and started off as a dreadful kick, but improved later on (ring any bells?). Perhaps unfairly, Jack is best remembered these days as the son-in-law of our outstanding but undervalued 1950s utility player Fred Le Deux.

thanks David ..

Cats and Tigers had a huge rivalry in the 60's and the Centreline duels between Clay/Barrot/Bourke and Polinelli/Marshall/Closter were epic. I was very young but can remember the anticipation of it all on the way to the G.
On the subject of Polly you could mount a compelling argument to say he was the greatest Cat of all. Sublimely skilled , athletic, great mark and set shot for goal , revolutionised the game with handball and awesome use of his body in contests. His tapwork to the smalls would be the envy of any of todays giants - there was less tagging in those days so effective taps to the rover was a big part of the game in generating momentum your way.

Cats and Tigers had a huge rivalry in the 60's and the Centreline duels between Clay/Barrot/Bourke and Polinelli/Marshall/Closter were epic. I was very young but can remember the anticipation of it all on the way to the G.
On the subject of Polly you could mount a compelling argument to say he was the greatest Cat of all. Sublimely skilled , athletic, great mark and set shot for goal , revolutionised the game with handball and awesome use of his body in contests. His tapwork to the smalls would be the envy of any of todays giants - there was less tagging in those days so effective taps to the rover was a big part of the game in generating momentum your way.

Yes, epic centreline battles.
We actually did a little better after we swapped Closter to C and Marshall to W, offsetting some of the size advantage of Bourke/Clay who were big enough to play CHB/CHF respectively later on.

Marshall must have had a comb in his sock. After a number of running bounces and a raking kicks to the goal square there was never a hair out of place.
BRYLCREEM. Still available now!

David, You’re right about the 70s being a forgettable era, with poor admin and weird coaching, but we did produce some good defenders.
FB John Scarlett played similarly to Matt (not as well of course). His pace made him one of the few able to keep Hudson within "reasonable" limits. And he was just as dangerous off the ground as on.
Our 2nd-best FB of the last 50 years after Scarlo was Gary Malarkey, built like 2 tanks, but also fast, good in the air, extremely strong and absolutely intent on stopping his opponent. I remember one day seeing him wrestle the much bigger Brian Taylor virtually non-stop for the whole match and come out tops.
Ian Nankervis morphed from a top rover/FP (200+ goals) into a brilliant, attacking BP. He was so good that even though the immortal Bernie Smith pipped him for BP in our Team of the Century, they still found a spot for him as an emergency.
HBF Ray Card was not an all-time great, but a club B&F and one of the hardest, toughest Cats ever. Pound for pound his ability to hurt players with a hip & shoulder was on a par with Matthews and Ablett. Google Ray Card Keith Greig if you get a chance.
HBFs Bruce Nankervis and Kevin Higgins were prototypes of the modern system of initiating attacks from half back and were both very good defensive and attacking players in their own right. (Ian & Bruce Nankervis were famously nicknamed the Leyland Brothers for what some saw as their indirect play).
Last but by no means least was BP/HBF/CHB Jumping Jack Hawkins, a magnificent high mark and attacking defender. He wore 26 and started off as a dreadful kick, but improved later on (ring any bells?). Perhaps unfairly, Jack is best remembered these days as the son-in-law of our outstanding but undervalued 1950s utility player Fred Le Deux.
Kevin Higgins was a wonderful player, great skills and precision kicking. A little later, Jeff "Butch" Cassidy entered the HBF, and he too was a beautiful kick; then Paul Jefferies emerged, and he was a great high marking left foot defender, one of Goggin's favourites, although his #1 was Mark Bos, but I'm getting into the early 80's now. You inspire great memories.
Malarkey was awesome, (married a girl I used to have a teenage crush on), but arguably as effective a FB as we've ever had, without the longevity of Scarlett.

Kevin Higgins was a wonderful player, great skills and precision kicking. A little later, Jeff "Butch" Cassidy entered the HBF, and he too was a beautiful kick; then Paul Jefferies emerged, and he was a great high marking left foot defender, one of Goggin's favourites, although his #1 was Mark Bos, but I'm getting into the early 80's now. You inspire great memories.
Malarkey was awesome, 9married a girl I used to have a teenage crush on), but arguably as effective a FB as we've ever had, without the longevity of Scarlett.

Yeah, just keep it between ourselves, but there wasn't much between GM and MS.

According to the Herald Sun McIntosh was 10th in the league for contested marks and 5th for hit outs to advantage this season at rd 7 (prior to injury). He'll be a ruck men resting forward much as we used Ottens.

Good interview on SEN with Macca today someone might be able to upload or try SEN app

Tony Polinelli...number 36.......I remember the thighs!

Left footer...also in the 20 for the 63 Premiership team. As a kid, he was a favourite of mine.

Being a lefty myself I always had soft spots for Polinelli , Farmer and the SJ of that time - John Sharrock.
Having said that I was in awe of Wade who seemed to roost huge torps from anywhere with unerring accuracy - remember him putting one on the roof of the original Southern Stand from 25 metres out one day ( or is that my childhood memories letting me down? )
Great Teams - even greater memories.

Being a lefty myself I always had soft spots for Polinelli , Farmer and the SJ of that time - John Sharrock.
Having said that I was in awe of Wade who seemed to roost huge torps from anywhere with unerring accuracy - remember him putting one on the roof of the original Southern Stand from 25 metres out one day ( or is that my childhood memories letting me down? )
Great Teams - even greater memories.
John Sharrock--- what a gun player he was..my fav at the time.
Injury ended his career at 25 otherwise would have been remembered as one of the greats of the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back