Traded #17: Jake Melksham - Traded to Melbourne for pick 25

Remove this Banner Ad

What really surprised me on that u18s GF footage of melksham from a few pages back was his hunting the ball, sideways movement, and willingness to try and break away from congestion.

For his last 110 games he's grabbed the ball in traffic and been a stunned mullet.

One thing he has always had is a great leg, but I don't think his decision making is up to scratch to make it a real weapon. He had more time to use his leg in the u18s but gets caught out by the lack of time to make a decision at AFL level.

Problem with the vision is it highlights.
I still have a copy of that GF and he looked like a star in the first 15 minutes until they stopped letting him run free in the middle and from there
he was average. Could not a way to combat a player sticking closer to him.

It'll be good riddance to one of the laziest Essendon players I've seen in 20-odd years.

Such a waste of talent.
Lazy? Really? I'll call him almost anything under the sun, but I've never thought he was lazy. Clueless. Slow. Confused. So many words.
Btw from under what rock did you crawl back out of? ;)

Its an interesting one because his best is pretty good but he plays too many mediocre games where he has limited impact. Also he seems to need the right conditions to play his best. eg under Bomber he was god-awful and has been strongly intimated that they didn't have a great relationship. Played better under Hird but still pretty up and down.

I wish him the best though. I used to enjoy his attitude out there where he wouldn't take a backward step. No matter what you say about him he definitely has courage and some backbone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consistency has never been a problem for Jake. He's been ordinary, very consistently, for roughly 100 of 100-odd games.
You don't need to exaggerate it to underline that overall, he's been underwhelming.

He had a very good 2013 season. He's had the odd very good game outside of that too, like Geelong 2011.

Anyhow, best of luck, Jake.

Consistency has never been a problem for Jake. He's been ordinary, very consistently, for roughly 100 of 100-odd games.

The old man describes it thus: He's a hundred-gamer who plays every game like it's his 5th.

You don't need to exaggerate it to underline that overall, he's been underwhelming.

He had a very good 2013 season. He's had the odd very good game outside of that too, like Geelong 2011.

Anyhow, best of luck, Jake.

Yeah it was fantastic that year. Truly. That's why I and many others simply cannot believe how far below his best he's been playing these past two seasons.

He's not as bad as is being made out.

His biggest problem in our team is a lack of a meaningful role. If we weren't as slow as we are I'd be more inclined to play him as a midfielder or on a wing. We have better options to develop on flanks. The role he seems to do consistently well is Hocking's and the rest of his game does not command a spot in a best 22.

Surprised that Melbourne will give up 25. Given our need to regenerate the list we'll take 25 for Melksham and run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back