Traded #17: Jake Melksham - Traded to Melbourne for pick 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: #17: Jake Melksham - Needs a rest?

Was absolutely rooted nearing the end of the game. There was a contest on the HFF for the Pies which he royally stuffed up (Pies got a point from it) and he lost his boot. Did the slowest jog from the 50 to the bench that the ball had already made it from the kick in to a few contests up on the wing.

IIRC he was pretty happy with himself packing on size in his legs, I think this has probably come back to bite him. Not saying he's in the wrong, but that he's obviously struggling to carry those extra kgs around and it will take time for him to get used to it.

Re: #17: Jake Melksham - Improved effort; but does he need a rest?

Im confident when he starts averaging 20-23 possies he will be a pretty good player, if he can average 25+ he will be elite, he is very damaging.

Re: #17: Jake Melksham - Needs a rest?

I think you are spot on

Surely we are not going to continue to play the guy for 4 quarters each week when his lack of endurance has him breaking alomst every team rule conceivable.

It has been an issue from day 1 - Suppose this year is preparation for 2013/14 - So hopefully Melk will build a better tank.

Would like one day to have the ability to make a tactical substitution!

His repeat efforts a killing him. Looked shot at one stage in the last and could barely move his legs.

Anyone who's played serious sport knows what it's like to try and move but your legs are completely gone.

This should be fixable and I'm confident we'll see better from him. Should have been rested this week but now that we have the 9 day break then you might as well stick with him and play him against Brissie and look to rest a week or so later.

Was limping towards the end so no sure what was wrong.

I can understand needing a rest in round 12-15 or so, but not sure about round 5.
Maybe he is being worked harder than everyone else.
I will find out in 5 days time.

Jake clearly must be another player carrying an injury. Hasn't had an impact in any game so far this year, his repeat efforts are almost non-existent and his defensive efforts certainly leave a lot to be desired.

Thought he'd come on in leaps and bounds this season but so far hasn't produced. I reckon an extra rest v. Brisbane could do him the world of good.

****, so many positives but some can't help but eat their own

There are, but he isn't one of them.

Needs time in the magoos to learn the basics about defnsive play. then he will be a better player.

either that or he needs to hurt going fwd to cover his half arsed defensive efforts.

When he is stuffed and his legs are shot he just stands there and watches, he doesn't try and guard a man or guard space he just stands and watches. Its not really good enough from him.

Thinking that if a Ross/Brownne/Lee type burn the house down at Bendigo - You may be tempted to send Melksham down to Bendigo to work on his endurance.

Although this is a way off.

Playing at a lower level can help him build his confidence. It also allows the club to play him in a more responsible position. His endurance will be improved with training, not playing.

I have no doubt that if Jake can become a very good mid. Good vision, works well in traffic, once a bit bigger will add something to our stoppages and can kick a goal. He is still very young and I personally don't see the rush and playing him while his form is down, for whatever reason, can have a two fold negative effect. He could either lose his confidence for a long time or he could start to think that this level of performance is enough to justify his position in the side.

Also is worth pointing out that when a player puts on 5 kgs of muscle in a preseason they usually struggle to run the following season. It often takes another preseason before their movement gets back to what it was prior to the weight gain. Of course it could be longer. Hooker still has not returned to his levels of movement since 2009, of course he's had hamstring issues to go with his weight gain.

Is he having trouble carrying the extra bulk?

Thinking that if a Ross/Brownne/Lee type burn the house down at Bendigo - You may be tempted to send Melksham down to Bendigo to work on his endurance.

Although this is a way off.

Maybe the first two should focus on getting on the park before thinking about playing at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, clearly needs a rest.

It's been said that the club planned this exactly, minus the injuries of course.

"Winnable" first 3 games, followed by 2 tough games, followed by another large block of winnable ones; heavy training load was to extend right up until the Carlton game, but injuries have kind of thrown a few things out.

The break will allow them to reset and go again.

Re: #17: Jake Melksham - Will benefit from the break

One of those guys that looks great when 'on' and can sometimes leave you frustrated.

Like Jetta for the last couple of years, I think some are expecting too much. Has to improve his tank a lot before we will see him truly develop.

A 10 day break should help and if not give him a week with the long term view. Jake is a smooth mover who should be a big part of our next tilt.

If Melk is getting used to carrying extra weight and the like his ability to run out games should improve significantly to the mid point in the year (and probably taper again towards the end of the year based on age, ect).

He should actually be feeling and looking much better 10 days after having the **** flogged out of him for a month.

There is certainly no point resting or dropping him now. Pleasingly his body has held together during the flogging - unlike some of the more injury prone guys.

One of those guys that looks great when 'on' and can sometimes leave you frustrated.

Like Jetta for the last couple of years, I think some are expecting too much. Has to improve his tank a lot before we will see him truly develop.

A 10 day break should help and if not give him a week with the long term view. Jake is a smooth mover who should be a big part of our next tilt.

This is it, he is a 3rd year player coming off a big bulk preseason, his body needs time to get use to this. We could have kept him smaller and he would probably looking better ATM but not really getting really good.

But as others have said while we still want to win as many games as possible this year, we are also still treating this year it as a major development year IMO.

Why drop anyone now, straight after a 10 day break?

Maybe start looking at guys having a spell towards the end of May (GWS & Melbourne in successive weeks) or July, vs the Dogs, just before the real onslaught begins.

Jake & Zaha, both look to be battling their way into the year, out of very tough pre-seasons. Plus he's learning a slightly different role. I'm far less concerned than I was 3 weeks ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back