Traded #17: Jake Melksham - Traded to Melbourne for pick 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Provided zero last night as this happens on too many occasions, dropped an easy overhead mark that went down the other end of the ground for a goal - does these things too often. Looks at the difference Z. Merrett made when he came on as his replacement.

Will provide us with an excellent opportunity to trade...sell sell sell.

What will we get for him? 3rd round pick or what type of player?

A nice 2nd or 3rd rd pick I'd be thinking...Carlton, Richmond, Saints, Bulldigs or Pies...someone would be interested in him.

What would you do with him Eth? He is obviously considered best 22, but are the coaching staff running out of patients?
Depends. When playing well he can play most positions on the ground effectively, which is part of his strengths, but when he's not he plays terribly. The difference between his best and worst is huge. When the game's on the line he steps up most of the time. I wouldn't mind seeing him play a full year in the Monfries role, taking the likes of Brodie Smith, Malceski and Birchall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You only seem to pop up when he plays badly Shane

Well I can't just sit here every week and bag out the player over and over again....that would annoy too many people.

But it's near the end of a season and contract or no contract Melksham has ran his race with me. It's time to think of what we would gain by hanging on to him for another season and hoping he'll come good.

Just my opinion. I know many would be happy to hold on and see what he does next year...but nah not for me.

Also; long term I can see him becoming a really good tagger. At a club like Melbourne where he could be the #1 tagger I think he'd do well.

i'm gonna stick up for him here.

Yeah he's not in great form, i'll definitely concede that. But when he was on the ground he was playing exclusively half forward in the period where we were setting world records for giving the footy directly to the opposition going forward

I can count on one hand the times he got the ball and even though he did drop that sitter of a mark, he didn't do any typical Melksham deadshit things, he just strugged to get involved. Chappy and Goddard were the same, but they had the opportunity to come back into it once we got things moving, Melk didn't.

Still needs a colossal boot up the backside

Last edited:
Glad none of you are on selection panel, you would all have got rid of Colyer, Watson(first year stinker), Stanton, Myers , hooker etc.

Having a bad patch but still has upside IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back