Traded #17: Jake Melksham - Traded to Melbourne for pick 25

Remove this Banner Ad

A Bloke I work with knows his step father and was told by him that Jake is not 1 of the most commited footballers going around. He loves his social life a little too much Apparently..

He said watch how well he plays next year because it will be a contract year for him and will need to perform but other than that he has other priorities that are more important to him.

Again this could be classed as rumour but I believe it more than some sh1t floating around....

I reckon if they unleash him this week in a final he might just be burning inside to prove a point. He plays best when he is fired up a bit. He'd be very close to selection if I was a selector.

Thank God you are not a selector than

Games should be earnt and this year he definitely has not earnt it. Especially a final. He was gifted a couple of games a few weeks ago.

Putting him in the same league as Hocking is wrong, wrong and wrong.

Hocking has had 3-4 bad games this year.. true.. but ask how many midfielders love lining up on Hocking? I'd say none. Hocking has dominated some of the best in the business for the last three years.. and just goes about his business quietly. There are at least four extra games we lose this season if Hocking didn't play.

Melksham has got a long long long way to go before he reaches that level.

A Bloke I work with knows his step father and was told by him that Jake is not 1 of the most commited footballers going around. He loves his social life a little too much Apparently..

He said watch how well he plays next year because it will be a contract year for him and will need to perform but other than that he has other priorities that are more important to him.

Again this could be classed as rumour but I believe it more than some sh1t floating around....
This wouldn't surprise me. Reminds me of Colin Sylvia, has all the talent but not enough application to truly succeed at the top level. I would seriously consider putting him on the trade table at the end of the year

Thank God you are not a selector than

Games should be earnt and this year he definitely has not earnt it. Especially a final. He was gifted a couple of games a few weeks ago.

No, he hasn't earnt it.

However, he has, at times, shown match-turning abilities. With a rocket up him he could provide us with an extra bit of midfield depth. I don't know what it is that is holding him back but if he's training well he is well worth considering.

Sometimes in big games you go with your gut rather than form alone. Sheeds did it regularly and he had a pretty decent coaching career.

un_egst: 34921106 said:
No, he hasn't earnt it.

However, he has, at times, shown match-turning abilities. With a rocket up him he could provide us with an extra bit of midfield depth. I don't know what it is that is holding him back but if he's training well he is well worth considering.

Sometimes in big games you go with your gut rather than form alone. Sheeds did it regularly and he had a pretty decent coaching career.
I believe we should trade him now bwfore he loses to much value. We have a habit of holding players a year too long sometimes more and then try and trade them.. by then everyone else also knows they are sh1t. Make the tough calls sooner and you may not lose so much...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anybody see this bloke turning into a good player?

A high draft pick who just hasn't worked out... we're not exactly a star studded team (midfield especially), lost his spot in his fifth year and couldn't get it back.

I don't know what he really has going for him - he's not quick, his skills arent great, his tank isn't big, he's not a massive ball winner.

Would think he'll need a pretty big year next year to get another contract.

Yeah still makes rookie mistakes, judgement not the best. Seemed to take a step back this season. Can't see him as a tagger either, usually they're bigger bodied (Ling, Crawley, Hocking even McAffer) and better tacklers.

Yeah still makes rookie mistakes, judgement not the best. Seemed to take a step back this season. Can't see him as a tagger either, usually they're bigger bodied (Ling, Crawley, Hocking even McAffer) and better tacklers.
Kane Cornes and Tyson Stenglein disagree

I think he can make it, I think he should not be traded and I think he is worth persisting with. Cmon Jake prove me right mate!!

I think if we tried to make him into a tagger we might see the best of him yet. He's one player who I think struggles if he has to perform a variety of roles. I think as a tagger he could just focus on his opponent and it will stop him from over-thinking situations. Some players just do better when they have an opponent to stop rather than having to work hard to create plays. I've liked him in the few times he's played as a tagger, has generally been able to limit his opponent and is a decent size with average pace.

A lot of the qualities that people are saying he lacks such as good ball use and ball winning ability he has shown at times just not with consistency. Sometimes he can deliver kicks that are absolutely superb, top shelf stuff but then he will kick some of the worst clangers you will ever see too. That said - although i'm somewhat backing him in I would trade him if a club offered a 2nd rounder and he really has to get back into the best 22 next year or his future is very clouded.

I dont want to trade Jake for the simple reason that it will give him the kick up the bum he needs to actually pull his finger out and dominate.. for another club. So maybe just put him up for trade, but dont accept anything unless a club is willing to pay overs.

I dont want to trade Jake for the simple reason that it will give him the kick up the bum he needs to actually pull his finger out and dominate.. for another club. So maybe just put him up for trade, but dont accept anything unless a club is willing to pay overs.

He's not going to dominate anything in this league. He's not good enough.

He could turn into a good ordinary player, but not like we haven't given him opportunities to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back