Traded #17: Jake Melksham - Traded to Melbourne for pick 25

Remove this Banner Ad

As others have pointed out, he was embarrassing with all that carry on with SJ. Just pathetic, amauture crap those antics were: all while being smashed in one of our worst games in ages.

So much hope that he would elevate himself to an elite mid two years ago and here we are looking at him shaking our heads in disappointment.

Time to go..Jake.

Such a frustrating player. He'll string a few very solid games together and remind you that he can be quite a player, and then he'll play some absolute shockers. He's a bit like Stanton in that his very good is very noticeable, his very poor is blindingly obvious and you remain mostly oblivious to his "normal" or consistent output. The major difference is that Jake is such a confidence player that he pretty much has to carry on like a pork chop even if we're down by 80 points otherwise he'll lose whatever momentum he has going, or is building, between the ears.
Geez, he frustrates me!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see how Melksham responds if he was left in VFL for a month. IMO it either breaks him or makes him. If he goes back and gives 100% effort 4 weeks in a row to earn his spot then this might make him as a player. If he has a sook and doesn't put in his time at Essendon is over.

Guys like Steinberg, O'Brien and Kavanagh have been putting in at VFL for a while now whilst Melksham has had a free ride. Time for those free rides to change if Hird is going to have a united team.

I'd like to see how Melksham responds if he was left in VFL for a month. IMO it either breaks him or makes him. If he goes back and gives 100% effort 4 weeks in a row to earn his spot then this might make him as a player. If he has a sook and doesn't put in his time at Essendon is over.

Guys like Steinberg, O'Brien and Kavanagh have been putting in at VFL for a while now whilst Melksham has had a free ride. Time for those free rides to change if Hird is going to have a united team.

I suggested the same in 2012 or 13.

I suggested Jake needs half a year

He was terrible, like half the side was - But I would drop him purely on how he was carrying on with the Geelong players in the last term. Selfish..

Inconsistent. Selfish. Undisciplined. Terrible decision maker.

Needs to be dropped, but I reckon he's among the group of players that could s**t on Hirdy's doorstep and wouldn't get dropped.

Melksham has been OK this year. He has shown improvement.
He is into his 5th season.

Showing improvement should be a thing of the past for Jake, he needs to take the reigns now or he's off the list for mine.

He is into his 5th season.

Showing improvement should be a thing of the past for Jake, he needs to take the reigns now or he's off the list for mine.
Sixth season on the list, actually. Which just further underlines the point about the 'showing improvement' thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back