Past Kristian Jaksch

Remove this Banner Ad

Are some of us simply looking for deficiencies in Jaksch? Yes he could put on a little more size, but he's not overly skinny. The kid is 21, around 195cm and weighs 90kg (going off the Carlton website (and yes I know it's sometimes misleading)).

I won't go into weights of other players similar in age or height, but he isn't miles off.

Everyone isn't Judd or Curnow who push themselves to exhaustion. But come on, it's not like he's 75kg and is off hitting night clubs each weekend.
It's not the overall numbers that are awful, it's his body shape. He has nothing in his arms at the moment and his endurance looks middle of the road at best.

Additionally, look how many of our 2nd-5th year players came back in better shape than last year. He'd be the only one who hasn't IMO. These aren't great signs, especially considering the condition he turned up to the club in at the end of 2014.

For comparison's sake (I've tried to get training shots where hasn't been training at high intensity and is at rest to give as clear a comparison as I can manage):

Jaksch 2012:
draft-picks-kristian-jaksch-aidan-corr-jonathan-orouke-and-lachie-picture-id156840877

Jaksch 2014:
1413360882048.jpg

Jaksch 2015 pre-season:
JakschHandballImage.jpg

Jaksch in mid-November:
410514-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Last edited:
I think Jaksch is being harshly judged. He is only in his 2nd pre-season at the club & his 1st one was limited due to injury. He did enough last year to get some game time in the NAB Challenge & then was struck down by injury again.

Like many of our younger players, he had the misfortune of playing in a badly under-manned VFL team & yet at times showed some good signs, particularly when played forward. The chances are he won't bulk up a lot more, but that won't be because he is not putting in, more likely a reflection of his body type. This shouldn't mean he won't have a long term AFL career.

From what I've seen, Jaksch is a stand out talent.

I remember the first game I saw him play for gws against us and I thought to myself "wow this kid is just too good for henderson." Was unbelievable how well such a young kpp blanketed our best forward. Did well on Waite a couple of times also.

I thought our round 1 game against Richmond last year was going well until jaksch got injured also. He was making a difference in that game. It seems the injury he copped in round 1 took all the momentum out of his season.

Full preseason this year and I expect him to be a valuable player

To be very clear, I'm suggesting he's slacked off in some way since coming back to Victoria. Whether that's his mum's cooking, bad habits, a weaker programme at CFC, or something else entirely, I don't have the foggiest idea.

Last year wasn't a great year for Jaksch and to be fair it wasn't a great time to be around the CFC.
Many players were somewhat confused with all the noise going around the place.

I understand that Jaksch has knuckled down with Bolton coming on and is somewhat more 'into it' than he may have been previously.
Kid can play and isn't a dummy. Bolton just has to get the best out of him now.

Last year wasn't a great year for Jaksch and to be fair it wasn't a great time to be around the CFC.
Many players were somewhat confused with all the noise going around the place.

I understand that Jaksch has knuckled down with Bolton coming on and is somewhat more 'into it' than he may have been previously.
Kid can play and isn't a dummy. Bolton just has to get the best out of him now.
Better mark and kick than Jones. An upgrade if he improves his effort. Needs to be fanatical about second and third efforts. Also chasing and tackling would be a bonus.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Any idea how he went?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not the overall numbers that are awful, it's his body shape. He has nothing in his arms at the moment and his endurance looks middle of the road at best.

Additionally, look how many of our 2nd-5th year players came back in better shape than last year. He'd be the only one who hasn't IMO. These aren't great signs, especially considering the condition he turned up to the club in at the end of 2014.

For comparison's sake (I've tried to get training shots where hasn't been training at high intensity and is at rest to give as clear a comparison as I can manage):

Jaksch 2012:
draft-picks-kristian-jaksch-aidan-corr-jonathan-orouke-and-lachie-picture-id156840877

Jaksch 2014:
1413360882048.jpg

Jaksch 2015 pre-season:
JakschHandballImage.jpg

Jaksch in mid-November:
410514-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Word from an inside source who knows the strength and conditioning program at carlton/NB very well - he purely just cannot put on size due to genetics. Goes hard in the gym and is actually a strong lad. Hope to see him push for senior selection. Needs some competitiveness and grunt.

That's what I've always gathered with Jaksch, he is what he is, no point frustrating ourselves, wanting him to be something he's not, which goes for a lot of our players really.

He's a tall wiry type, if his running and skills are good, I don't see why he couldn't make a decent running half forward or even be dangerous on a wing at times.

if he has strength, size shouldn't matter as much providing he has other good attributes, like good hands and great aerobic capacity....does he have any of these strengths?

I'm backing him in as he's a kpp be it forward or back, he dominated under age comp and kpp take longer to mature as they are up against men in the afl who have had 4-10 preseasons to bulk up. He isn't a Cloke type who is going to wrestle in the square so not sure what all the fuss is about his build. He's a gun talent and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't squeeze out every inch of ability through lack of work ethic and I simply don't think BB will accept it

I've seen him play last couple games and he looks bigger than last year

Upside is he is versatile

Main strength is in the air

Weakened is kicking

I think he should get a senior game soon

I've seen him play last couple games and he looks bigger than last year

Upside is he is versatile

Main strength is in the air

Weakened is kicking

I think he should get a senior game soon
he kicked an absolute monster goal against Geelong on Friday night! the light of hope is still flickering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back