Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably because we would have zero run from out backline if he isn't down there, McMillan, Ferrito and Wright aren't fast enough to do what he does.

I still think Lindsay is the one we should play in the middle/wing in Wells' absence.

Might be right but I'd still like to see it.

I like Thomas in there too but I reckon he's playing sore from the extra midfield work he did in the early part of the year. I think he has a foot issue that he's always carried but it's flared up more then usual.

I've really seen a change in Shaun's game this year. Since he's been dropped he has been tougher, running harder and tackling more ferociously. It's amazing what dropping a player can do for them.

I reckon he's ready for the midfield next year.

EDIT:poor engrish

Last edited:
Might be right but I'd still like to see it.

I like Thomas in there too but I reckon he's playing sore from the extra midfield work he did in the early part of the year. I think he has a foot issue that he's always carried but it's flared up more then usual.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Ats in the middle full time, we just need 3 of the bloke that's all - list balance is stuffed atm.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Ats in the middle full time, we just need 3 of the bloke that's all - list balance is stuffed atm.

Don't get me wrong I don't mind him off hbf but I still think we could chuck him in for a bounce 3 or 4 times a game

Don't get me wrong I don't mind him off hbf but I still think we could chuck him in for a bounce 3 or 4 times a game

Yes, this. Great run from the backline but mixing it up a few times a game wouldn't hurt. Every now and then after we score a goal maybe.

I'm not arguing the merits of the rule. It's incidental what we think about it. The fact is that the rule is in place and our players need to adjust or they will be punished. Atley did not adjust when the AFL announced they were cracking down on it and it's fortunate that he hasn't paid a price (other than a free kick).

Let's hope this is a wake up call for him and he won't give away those free kicks or worse - get rubbed out for an important match.

Thats a fair point but the comment the MRP member made in the article tend to indicate they, well that member anyway, are loons. Comparing that tackle to Dempsey's is beyond stupid. I thought Atley's tackle was far safer and that he cradled the dogs player to the ground and even held back on slinging him hard to prevent his head moving too much with the momentum of a hard tackle. Dempsey grabbed Deledio then moved his feet to gather momentum and flung him backwards over his shoulder onto his neck and head.

It would be a lot easier to get if any tackle where the player was lifted was a free kick but that doesn't seem to be the case. That would mean players standing in a tackle need the whistle faster for either a ball up or a free too because some of these lifting tackles seem to be a result of a player standing in a tackle to resist it and possibly break free.

Atley is not a midfielder. You guys need to let it go.

Ever seen him play midfield? Not wing, actual in the guts midfield. The comparisons to Judd were based on his ability impact at clearances and this is basically the one area we have yet to explore at senior level. He is an instinct player, he is someone that uses a task to centre his game. Put him in the guts for long periods of time and he will be weapon.

I've said it before, if he is going to play midfield he needs to be in the centre square. In juniors he excelled as a centre square midfielder, not as a wingman.

I think he has been in there about 4 times this season. Not exactly a true indication of wether he can make it as a midfielder.

He is an instinct player,
This is exactly it. He is not a smart player. He relies on instinct, and I think you need both to be a bonafide midfielder. His halfback/wing role he plays now is perfect. The biggest problem he has is most of the time he will run, get the handball off and then stop. He needs to keep going and become another link in the chain further up the ground.

This is exactly it. He is not a smart player. He relies on instinct, and I think you need both to be a bonafide midfielder. His halfback/wing role he plays now is perfect. The biggest problem he has is most of the time he will run, get the handball off and then stop. He needs to keep going and become another link in the chain further up the ground.

He is doing that now and has been burnt on the counter because of another s**t disposal in the chain.

He comes across as believing in his own ability now and is ready for the midfield.

He is doing that now and has been burnt on the counter because of another s**t disposal in the chain.

He comes across as believing in his own ability now and is ready for the midfield.
He's not doing it enough though. He is very picky at when he does it. Watch him closely, he will get a handball off and then just stop most of the time. And it sucks cause the times he does run on he gets ignored (looking at you Ziebell) or someone else torches the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not doing it enough though. He is very picky at when he does it. Watch him closely, he will get a handball off and then just stop most of the time. And it sucks cause the times he does run on he gets ignored (looking at you Ziebell) or someone else torches the ball.

That's right so get him in later in the chain so he can be more attacking

I reckon he doesn't continue his run because he's still a defender first and is more concerned about getting back to his man. Fair enough too with the amount of time we turn the ball over and get caught on the rebound.

I read an article a couple of weeks ago about him and Taz being our two stingiest defenders. Pretty good effort from Atley considering the amount of drive he gives us from the back half

Another good reason to put Atley in the middle at least as an option is his speed and ability to run defensively.

It is a good point of difference to our one-paced inside mids who can't keep up if the opposition win it, especially in the centre.

Why don't we ever play this guy in the centre square? We are crying out for a point of difference in there and yet we always play the same guys.

I do remember in his first 10 or so games him spending time in there at centre bounces. He seemed highly evasive and highly adept at reading the ball out of the ruck, a bit like the skill Bastinac shows in traffic. I would be mixing it up a bit this week. Nahas/Thomas/Wright 70-80% wing time pushing forward.
Despite the talent we have on the inside, we really aren't capitalising and this comes down to balance.

He has to play midfield this week.

I do remember in his first 10 or so games him spending time in there at centre bounces. He seemed highly evasive and highly adept at reading the ball out of the ruck, a bit like the skill Bastinac shows in traffic. I would be mixing it up a bit this week. Nahas/Thomas/Wright 70-80% wing time pushing forward.
Despite the talent we have on the inside, we really aren't capitalising and this comes down to balance.

A fricken men

Just about ready to tear a game apart I reckon. He's improvement has been steep since coming back into the side

I'm getting real sick of this apprenticeship in defence business. Friday he should've been a mainstay in the centre square. Oh well, he played well off half back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back