Past Tom Temay

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure exactly what sets him apart to make him a serious contributor to the 22 in future but is tidy and has a good mind set. Playing all over the ground and didn't let himself down against the experienced player Gallagher.

That's a fair point and he hasn't really picked up the pace yet.
We know him to be an elite runner and that alone may be the prime reason we selected him ahead of Graham. (Best guess only and happy to be corrected)

One of those guys that just looks like a footballer on-field, yet isn't really playing like one for now..
He may be somewhat upset that Graham has usurped him after only one VFL game. :)

That's a fair point and he hasn't really picked up the pace yet.
We know him to be an elite runner and that alone may be the prime reason we selected him ahead of Graham. (Best guess only and happy to be corrected)

One of those guys that just looks like a footballer on-field, yet isn't really playing like one for now..
He may be somewhat upset that Graham has usurped him after only one VFL game. :)

Is there anyone who his game resembles? I like to have a frame of reference :p

Tom was only a bit-part player against Frankston, but I was impressed by a number of his cameos across the afternoon.

Just looks like a solid footballer. Good pace, good disposal and a good decision maker. The highlight, however, was his courage; put his body on the line on a number of occasions without hesitation. Copped the hits, got back up and did it all over again.

That sort of play will endear him to his team mates, coaches and indeed the supporters - at all levels.

Doubt we'll see Tom feature at senior level in 2013 but that is not important. More than happy for him to continue his development at VFL level for the remainder of the season.

Tom is just starting to build up some steam in recent weeks and is starting to show why we drafted him.

He won't be making his debut this year but Tom is a very self-assured fellow and will learn a lot under the tutelage of Mick and co.

Expecting a much better return from him next year as he'll also have the opportunity to develop into a specific role

I always said that Tom was going to be a 2014 debut. Still too raw and having that injury put him back a couple of months this season anyway.

I suspect that his future role is going to as our small defender along side of Tuohy with McInnes, Watson and Jamison and possibly another tall experienced defender in there as well.

It's good the hear the reports about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he our Nick Smith yet? Will be a bit of pressure on him if we get Docherty who will play a similar role but with more tricks at his disposal.

Maybe. maybe not.
I see Doc as the replacement for Scotland, so there is still that small defenders position for him to take if he is up to it. Would love to see him get a full preseason under his belt this summer and perhaps press for a senior debut mid to late next year.

Don't think he's being 'groomed' as a small defender.

From what I saw played all over the park in a variety of different roles. I think we'll see him push through the midfield more next season with another preseason under his belt. Played plenty of midfield as a junior and has the tank to play there.

Wouldn't mind him being instructed to follow Murphy around everywhere he goes this preseason. Not at all dissimilar to our captain in his build and running capacity.

I think he could develop for a year or 2 as a small defender and then see where's he at after that. IMO, would be too big a step for him to come straight into our 22 and be expected to play through the midfield. With Daisy on board and the imminent arrival of Doc, there's no hurry for him to play through the midfield.

I would be content with Temay developing into a best 22 role player and utility like Craig Bird. Bird towelled Garlett at the SCG this year.
Yeah good comparison. Temay does have more tricks than Smith (Smith does his one trick very well).

Just hope he, Bootsma, Graham and Buckley can put on some good size this preseason and have more than just cameo appearances in 2014.

I'm predicting Temay has a big year in 2014 and ends up a regular in our side by midway through the season.

I have no idea what role he is being groomed for. But I'd like to see him played as an outside mid.

I'm predicting Temay has a big year in 2014 and ends up a regular in our side by midway through the season.

I think at this stage that's probably an unrealistic expectation.

Tom played 14 games at VFL level and 1 at VFL reserves level in his debut season. He looks a solid young player but expecting him to go from that to a regular at senior level is a fair jump.

I'd be content to see him complete a full preseason and cement his spot in the VFL side. Realistically, anything on top of that would surely have to be seen as an absolute bonus.

At 20 years of age heading in to next season, the kid has plenty of time. Let's not expect too much, too soon.

Will we see Temay in 2014?

We'd be content to see him play a game before coming on next year like Buckley.

Looked good early in the pre-season but then started looking a bit MOR.

Not sure why it's just not coming together for Tom. I know he's young and all but just has quite a few pieces to put together before making any real statement to the MC.
Having been throw around somewhat last year may also not have been to his liking. Never really looked like a forward for mine.

Has 6 months to make a statement, commencing this week.

Shows glimpses - just can't put a game together from what I have seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back