Traded Liam Jones (#943)

Remove this Banner Ad

#19: Liam Jones (AKA Jonesy)

picture.php

Photo taken by [name]Old_Dog[/name]

DOB: 24th February, 1991

Drafted: Pick 32, 2008 AFL Draft (recruited from Tasmania U18, Scotch College)

Height: 197cm Weight: 94kg

2011 Review:

Games: 20
Goals: 19
Subsituted: N/A
Best and Fairest - Outside top 10
Dreamteam: 1116 points; $217,800 (-$3,100)
Supercoach: 1050 points; $250,600 (+$45,300)

Contract status: TBA

Stats history: Liam Jones (AFL Tables)

After 5 games late in 2010, Jones managed 20 games in 2011 (only missing 2 games early in the year), taking out the award for most improved player. He lead the club in contested marks (43), well ahead of Barry Hall (19) and took a respectable 96 marks overall (3rd) including 27 inside 50 (3rd). Although not having a standout game, he managed 2 goals on 5 occasions against Richmond, West Coast, St.Kilda, Hawthorn and Fremantle. The last game earnt him a nomination for the NAB Rising Star award.

Jones's main strength is his contested marking. His field kicking and/or decision making needs improvement, but his goal kicking is reasonably accurate within 40m. An increase in leg strength should enable him to take shots from further out.

A selection of past threads about Liam:

Liam Jones - Round 24 Rising Star (2011)

Jones is the Story (2011)

Liam Jones (2011)

Liam Jones Debut Game Thread (2010)

Article from afl.com: Keeping up with the Joneses

"PROMISING key forward Liam Jones (fitter and stronger at 98kg) has been one of the Western Bulldogs' pre-season bolters and is the most likely successor to Barry Hall as the club's focal point in attack, ruckman Will Minson says..."

Important seasons ahead for both players. Hopefully they can both deliver:)

Wallace was talking about Jones earlier today on SEN and saying that he has a lot of potential as a leading forward but not kicking bags of goals. And you know what?

He's right. Jones isn't going to match the output of the classic full forwards but that's because he's not a full forward, he's a Centre Half Forward that can pop up to kick a couple of goals a game but mostly acts as a lead up forward.

Liam Jones - It is more than just being out of form?

There is no question that so far this year, Liam hasn't performed to his expectations and has probably gone backwards from last year so far from an output sense. But for me, I'm not sure it can all be summarised by just saying he's in a bit of a form slump.

The main difference this year for Liam is that he is getting the number 1 defender week in week out. That's obviously going to have some effect as he adjusts to that and learns how to expose those defenders. I'm hoping that he'll at some point watch the footage of Jonathan Brown working over Phil Davis today because that for mine is how a centre half forward beats his opponent.

That brings me to my argument. Liam's output has been affected because he was being played out of position. Before Cordy's admission into the side, Jones was being played out of the square and our delivery to him was asking him to take one on one contested marks, in the ilk of Kurt Tippett or Jack Riewoldt. But that isn't his game. Jones is at his best when he is running at the ball leading up the ground, much like Nick Riewoldt or Jonathan Brown.

The last couple of weeks, with Cordy now playing out of the square has allowed Jones to revert back to a role that suits him better, but now he is consistently running under the footy on his leads. What I'm not sure about is why that is happening, or how you fix it?

Is it defenders cleverly working him under it? Could it be an eye-sight issue and he needs contacts? Is he just leading too early and is getting poor delivery?

Whatever is the case, is it something that can be fixed by the forward coaches or do we just put him in the basket with the other young KPF's lie Butcher and Reid and just say 'yep, he's out of form' and just wait for him to come good?

Re: Liam Jones - It is more than just being out of form?

This is not rocket science, this is about a young player playing in a very difficult position, taking the best defender and being teamed most times he is flying for marks. CONFIDENCE that is all he needs, also the delivery to him has been shocking.

Just having a bit of a rough run, in a pretty tough gig. Young, a lot of pressure on his shoulders, a forward line they've been chop-and-changing every week to find what works, and delivery that's been inconsistent at best.

Look at Sam Reid for comparison, pre-season he was being talked up as about to tear the comp apart - he's seriously struggling, so's Vickery. Not all smooth sailing.

This is not rocket science, this is about a young player playing in a very difficult position, taking the best defender and being teamed most times he is flying for marks. CONFIDENCE that is all he needs, also the delivery to him has been shocking.

I disagree with that. I don't think it is a simple as NOT HIS FAULT. He constantly over runs the ball, leads to the wrong places and even makes terrible decisions when he has it. He hasn't taken enough contested marks this season for him to even come close to out weighing the negatives.

If we were challenging for the top 4-6 he wouldn't be in the team as our forward line appears to work a lot better when he's not there.

Alas, we're probably going to miss the 8 this year and he does have a lot of natural ability that needs to be nurtured and we know these guys can take years. You right about CONFIDENCE though black pup. He needs to have a good game soon at AFL level to gain that confidence or he'll need to find some confidence at VFL level.

I have faith in Jones and am willing to cop some short term pain for it but not a whole season. We've played GWS, Gold Coast and Melbourne - it doesn't get any easier than that.

You have some good points there Butane. Jones really is becoming a bit of a liability in our forward line, and opp. teams are using him as a target to take it off him and score down the other end themselves. I hope he can improve a few things in his game over the next few games, or we really need to look to either, play him in the backline, or bring in other options. I think a lot of supporters are screaming out for Panos to get a gig. Seriously, if Macca is looking at what the list can do, then play this kid. :cool:

Look at Sam Reid for comparison, pre-season he was being talked up as about to tear the comp apart - he's seriously struggling, so's Vickery. Not all smooth sailing.

Thankyou. This x10.

Some are expecting a 20 year old to seamlessly adapt to a role previously held by one of the top 15 AFL goalkickers of all time.

Anyone that thinks Jones is going to be put in the back line is an idiot, he is a natural CHF his going to stay there no matter how long it takes for him to come good

Thankyou. This x10.

Some are expecting a 20 year old to seamlessly adapt to a role previously held by one of the top 15 AFL goalkickers of all time.

I salute the voice of reason- well said - it will take time - however.....
Jones is continually out of position to such an extent during the course of the game that the excuse "its hard its tough we are kicking it to him shitous - dont cut it. Its one thing to get beaten by the no. one defender its another to be 30m away continually, be led to ball or the worst of all to watch it sail 10m over your head coz ur leading patterns are one dimensional ( run at ball carrier). Jones doesnt lead left or right he is continually running at the guy with the ball - and hence running under the kick. There is no smart leading and doubling back - conclusion for me from the games he's played - LIAM JONES HAS NO TANK - great skill, no lungs to do figure eights and cut back leads all day and blow up the defender IT will TAKE TIMe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pleasure. However, I compliment your CHF .... why talk about the bomber CHF like that!! lol
Haha, sorry mate, call it as I see it. :p Haven't seen a lot of his games but from what I've seen of him in this one so far he's a bit lost.

Commentary needs more James Brayshore!!

Good start from him, what number is Goodes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back